Lanyard with Small UAV Registration Mockup

Shockwave199 gave some good advice after I was challenged by a jogger about the legality of me flying my drone in a space where it was permitted. The suggestion was to put my FAA registration info on a lanyard.
How would showing something like this reassure the jogger that you're legally allowed to fly your drone in the space where you're flying? I'm assuming you're thinking flashing something official looking will make a lot of people think what you're doing is legal.

How would showing something like this reassure the jogger that you're legally allowed to fly your drone in the space where you're flying? I'm assuming you're thinking flashing something official looking will make a lot of people think what you're doing is legal.

It's simply psychology. Badges and IDs with any kind of official affiliation, real or implied, do have an effect on many people. Just the suggestion of FAA approval, even if it is just registration of the operator and implies no authorization to fly in any particular location, is likely to deter at least some potential confrontation, especially if the aggressor is not really sure of the law.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Here is something I saw while image searching "FAA ID":

s-l1000_zpsw2n6okzf.jpg

There's someone on eBay selling these for $13.00, Drone Small UAS FAA Registration Reference ID Card Double Sided, which I think is about perfect.

Been trying to create one like this in Photoshop but my PS skillz have a lot to be desired. It took me an hour just to figure out how to do a rounded rectangular border. I also don't like the "For Reference Only" bit on the bottom of the front.

Here is something I saw while image searching "FAA ID":

s-l1000_zpsw2n6okzf.jpg

There's someone on eBay selling these for $13.00, Drone Small UAS FAA Registration Reference ID Card Double Sided, which I think is about perfect.

Been trying to create one like this in Photoshop but my PS skillz have a lot to be desired. It took me an hour just to figure out how to do a rounded rectangular border. I also don't like the "For Reference Only" bit on the bottom of the front.
If you have registered you can sign into your account and print of a card that looks almost identical to this. After seeing this thread I printed mine off, lamented it, and attached it to my case.

Reactions: Lefty63
Great to know!

I contacted the seller of the ID's on eBay and they said they could not remove the text "For Reference Only", for legal reasons.

I have a half-way made one but I suck at Photoshop, so I'll check that out.

I can't find the card printout. Where do I need to go?

Last edited:
I'm hoping to get some clarity from the USA.gov hotline early this week and based on what they say and all of your great input here I'll make some changes as needed to the photoshop file.

Afterwards if anyone wants the file, I'll share via private message. If you don't have photoshop, and you PM me your details I can make a card for you and send you back a PDF.

I simply printed a copy of my actual FAA registration and laminated it. I wear that on a lanyard for easy access to show LE or security personnel, not really so much for the general public unless it comes up in a conversation. At the time when registering your drone went into effect, it was all the news. EVERYBODY knew this had to be done. People couldn't tell you who the secretary of state is but they sure as hell knew you had to register your drone. It was the 'first leg to stand on' for the nay sayers of people flying drones. I mostly didn't want to be out of compliance out there if LE called me out on my drone being registered. If my bird is up there and LE pulls up and and asks me (hasn't happened yet), without even landing I can show them my drone is registered. I figure if that's enough to get a cop or park security to say have a nice day and leave me alone, that works for me. It hasn't come up at all on location but I put my registration on every time I fly. Maybe I look just that much more official, who knows. But, that's what I do. YMMV.

I may have missed something along the way, but the actual aircraft aren't registered, correct? The pilot registers with the FAA, but we provide no aircraft details (at least I didn't). I just want to make sure I didn't miss something. I see a lot of people saying they registered their drone, but I don't think that is the case.

Yes, your FAA number goes on it, but isn't that it?

You register your drone, not yourself.

Incorrect, it is the operator who is registered, not the UAS.
One operator's registration number can be used and displayed on numerous UAS as long as the same registered pilot operates each one.

Reactions: pomonabill220
Incorrect, it is the operator who is registered, not the UAS.
One operator's registration number can be used and displayed on numerous UAS as long as the same registered pilot operates each one.
Yes, I stand corrected.

Though the FAA's site says "Register my drone," you're actually only registering yourself. When you register you'll be given a unique number to mark on all your aircraft. (Here's a PDF on how marking should be done.) This way, if you own multiple aircraft you only have to register once and, should you decide to sell your UAS, you can just remove your number. You'll also need to keep a physical or electronic proof of registration on you when flying.

Pertaining to the last line of that statement, I choose a lanyard for easy, visible access if LE breaks my chops. Of course now the game is evolving again so there's more to consider.

Reactions: flpholt
Shockwave199 gave some good advice after I was challenged by a jogger about the legality of me flying my drone in a space where it was permitted. The suggestion was to put my FAA registration info on a lanyard.

He suggested it in this thread:
Getting challenged by someone while flying

Well i did just that. I made myself a template and mocked it up with some fake registration numbers and headshots to show you what it looks like. (Mine came out cutout and double sided)

Can you give me some feedback? Should anything be added? I made a painstaking effort to represent what the FAA registration covers and not to overstate anything.

View attachment 58173

If there's enough interested I'd be willing to share it. Thanks for any feedback.
Love one, or the pattern

Well i did just that. I made myself a template and mocked it up with some fake registration numbers and headshots to show you what it looks like. (Mine came out cutout and double sided)

Can you give me some feedback? Should anything be added? I made a painstaking effort to represent what the FAA registration covers and not to overstate anything.

View attachment 58173

If there's enough interested I'd be willing to share it. Thanks for any feedback.

Love one, or the pattern to print myself...

View attachment 58173

Your

View attachment 58173

What FAA regulation requires you to show your registration to a non-authority? Your document looks great but it would be fraudlent. The government doesn't have a sense of humor in this area.

Your

What FAA regulation requires you to show your registration to a non-authority? Your document looks great but it would be fraudlent. The government doesn't have a sense of humor in this area.

I Agree with you 100% here. I am actually the E-Bay seller that timmer was talking about in an earlier post. My company prints ID Badges for many different customers from small to large businesses and even Police, Fire, EMS Departments, and Town Entities. Before starting to print the FAA ID's I had my lawyer do some digging around, and after contacting the FAA on many occasions we got the go ahead to print the FAA ID's as long as the words.. "For Reference Only, Not A Legal Document" appeared on the front of the card. This is why even after many requests from people I refused to remove those words from the cards I sell, not only to ensure that I am legally printing the ID's but to ensure the people who purchase my ID's won't get in trouble for having them. The ID's are marketed as for reference only, so those who don't remember their ID Numbers can have them close by.

If the person who designed the ID card at the top of this post would like to share his template with me, I would be more then willing to print copies for anyone on this forum for a reduced rate (basically cost of supplies) I print all my cards on a nice solid credit card sized PVC Cards.

P.S. I didn't post any links to my e-bay sales so I'm hoping this post doesn't get bashed for Advertisement.

Reactions: sar104
I Agree with you 100% here. I am actually the E-Bay seller that timmer was talking about in an earlier post. My company prints ID Badges for many different customers from small to large businesses and even Police, Fire, EMS Departments, and Town Entities. Before starting to print the FAA ID's I had my lawyer do some digging around, and after contacting the FAA on many occasions we got the go ahead to print the FAA ID's as long as the words.. "For Reference Only, Not A Legal Document" appeared on the front of the card. This is why even after many requests from people I refused to remove those words from the cards I sell, not only to ensure that I am legally printing the ID's but to ensure the people who purchase my ID's won't get in trouble for having them. The ID's are marketed as for reference only, so those who don't remember their ID Numbers can have them close by.

If the person who designed the ID card at the top of this post would like to share his template with me, I would be more then willing to print copies for anyone on this forum for a reduced rate (basically cost of supplies) I print all my cards on a nice solid credit card sized PVC Cards.

P.S. I didn't post any links to my e-bay sales so I'm hoping this post doesn't get bashed for Advertisement.

Well, it worked, I sent along a "best offer". Nice job!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl