Lanyard with Small UAV Registration Mockup

Reaction score
Shockwave199 gave some good advice after I was challenged by a jogger about the legality of me flying my drone in a space where it was permitted. The suggestion was to put my FAA registration info on a lanyard.

He suggested it in this thread:
Getting challenged by someone while flying

Well i did just that. I made myself a template and mocked it up with some fake registration numbers and headshots to show you what it looks like. (Mine came out cutout and double sided)

Can you give me some feedback? Should anything be added? I made a painstaking effort to represent what the FAA registration covers and not to overstate anything.

FAA Registration Flyer.jpg

If there's enough interested I'd be willing to share it. Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:
I think it looks great

Me too! Can you make a blank one that we could use to add our own info on it?

That would also be great for a luggage tag for our cases or bags, without the picture of course, and have the back state something like tampering with this aircraft could lead to fines, and or imprisonment, blah, blah, blah.

Reactions: flpholt
I think make some up this could be a new business

Looks great, just small typo on the last sentence on the back card [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That looks really good!
What program did you use?
And can you share? Post the file with the dummy info?
If you do I can put my laminator to use tonight :)
Really, great job!!

You can't just use the FAA "branding" to make your own documents can you? Your falsifying a document.

i like it! but it does look very "official" .. wouldnt want anyone thinking i forged an ID or document, but it does look great. i didnt like the one the FAA gave me, so i created a slightly modified version myself. ive got this taped to the back of my tablet.

img[

This is why I wanted to bring it to the guru's. I'm appreciating your input. I may have to lose the logo perhaps? They did give me something lame with their logo but not something that would be good for show.

I just emailed E-Mail Us | USAGov (Yes the government does have a hotline) and asked them if it's OK to use their logo with the information the FAA provided.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikesmiley
You can't just use the FAA "branding" to make your own documents can you? Your falsifying a document.
How can you "falsify" something the doesn't actually exist?

I think as long as you DON'T misrepresent your authority or rights under the UAV rules you are fine. I can't see you ever getting in trouble for making a card that has the FAA branding, as long as it has your real info and UAS ID#, and only says what FAA has officially stated about UAV's.

P.S. Great Job! It looks real good and I want the blank file so I can make one for myself. I already have a lanyard with an ID pocket laying around somewhere.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I'd love a blank file too. I have Photoshop to add the pertinent information. Great Job. I did something similar as a joke for photography, but lost the template.

Looks great but I would leave the back blank or make it up for your FBI number :)

I'm sorry to disagree, but, as a commercially-employed ATP pilot, I would never display a fake certificate such as this while flying my Phantom.

If you want to display something on a lanyard, why not just laminate and display your current Small UAS Certificate of Registration?
Plus with part 107 around the corner, if one wishes to display a fancier, more official looking certificate,
I'd say use the actual FAA UAS pilot Part 107 certificate when you get it (as I expect most will).

I'd also caution that you don't want to give away to much personal information on your certificate to total strangers,
-especially ones with animosity about UAS. Displaying your picture and home address is a bad idea for this reason.

In addition, what if a visitor knows what a real FAA Small UAS Certificate of Registration looks like and you show a fake one?

As you know, there is no requirement to display your FAA Small UAS Certificate of Registration on a lanyard for public view.
For what it's worth, know that most FAA-certificated aircraft pilots never walk around with their pilot certificates on lanyards.
While I do have to wear several ID badges on a lanyard for work purposes, they are all either my company ID,
or various Airport Ramp Access IDs issued by the TSA or local government agencies.

Looking at your pseudo-certificate, if you just intend hobby use of your Small UAS, I think you've got some misinformation listed.
On the back of the actual FAA Small UAS Certificate of Registration, it lists the Safety Guidelines with bullet points.
On the back of your card you refer to them as "Safety Rules", but remember these bullet points are guidelines and not rules.
I also think the guidelines listed should match what is shown on your Small UAS Certificate of Registration,
instead of listing various "rules" that one thinks a curious visitor would feel satisfied reading.

Looking at the front of the actual FAA Small UAS Certificate of Registration, it specifies the card is a Small UAS Registration.
For Small UAS registration, the FAA does not specify a class or category, other than by weight.
However on the back of your card you refer to a "Recreational Class" of "Unmanned Aerial Vehicle".
There is no such thing as a "Recreational Class" of "Unmanned Aerial Vehicle" as defined by the FAA.
One particular UAS can be operated either commercially or for hobby use, provided it and the operator meet the requirements for that type operation.

Again sorry for the disagreement, however your pseudo-certificate does look very nice and official...

upload_2016-6-26_11-22-51.png

How about just tell people to F$&@ off and mind there own business. Why waste precious flying time explaining yourself to nosy people. As long as your not breaking any laws or FAA rules who cares what people think. I love how all these know it all people are too ignorant to find out what is right and wrong. That's just my two cents. I don't have to explain anything unless they hold a badge and a gun.

Unless they have a genuine interest.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj