Landowners permission for takeoff/landing?

What you CAN do and what you SHOULD do may not be the same thing. Why not get permission and be an ambassador for the industry as a whole?

All it takes is someone (With the authority to say so) telling you you're not allowed on that property and from that point forward you would be trespassing. This isn't the same for PUBLIC land though. The managing company/facility can tell you you're not allowed to launch/land from their property and it's that simple.

At the end of the day we are just "Forum Lawyers" and if you're betting your paycheck and freedom on this proposition you'd be well advised to seek the advice of an attorney and not a bunch of forum "friends" LOL

While I agree with you that he should seek more serious legal advice, I believe that there is a great repression on drones just like with fire arms and in both cases we need to defend our self from crazy people demanding crazy things so in this case seeking an unneeded authorization would only give more power to this people.

I'm not clear what point you are trying to make, other than to obfuscate a very simple issue. That you have no objection to public use of your property does not change that privately owned land cannot be assumed, in the absence of permission, to be open to public activities.
Tell me exactly what privately owned land means to you.

we need to defend our self from crazy people demanding crazy things so in this case seeking an unneeded authorization would only give more power to this people.

Precisely.

I need to determine that permission is not required before I go seeking permission. Or else simply I'm giving the land owner an opportunity to oppose to my activities that he otherwise wouldn't even know about.

y2keable said:
Precisely.

I need to determine that permission is not required before I go seeking permission. Or else simply I'm giving the land owner an opportunity to oppose to my activities that he otherwise wouldn't even know about.
Maybe we need to stop breeding such ahole people and just get along. Is there a pill for that?

Reactions: Fishie
Hi y2keable

I think if you are happy that it is not a problem then OK.

The link I posted earlier referred to "Public Land", of which a local park could be deemed to fall under the umbrella of that description.

And what the article implied was that if a local rule or ordinance proscribed, for example "the flying of model aircraft within the parks boundaries" , then the controlling body or authority for that facility would be within their rights to site you for "Trespass" should you, when asked by a representative of that authority to cease your activity, and you refused to do so.

Just my opinion :)

Waylander

Reactions: Fishie and BigAl07
Let's also keep in mind that this will vary from place to place in different legal jurisdictions.

Generally speaking, most municipalities have regulations governing the use of public space and the acceptable use thereof. Florida, for example, prohibits unmanned takeoffs and landings in State Parks. If I fly there, I can be fined for a violation just as I could be if I violate any other regulation.

My neighborhood has a small park as well, which is owned by the Homeowner's Association (aka the spawn of the devil). They have the legal right to prohibit flights from there as well, should they choose to do so.

The rules/laws regarding private property and trespass are complex, especially when you consider private property where the public has an implied right to enter, such as a store or shopping mall.

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm new to drone flying but not new to law. I've been told that I need permission off the land owner before taking off or landing on their property.

I don't remember reading anything with respect to this in any CAA material and everything I know about how the law works brings me to the understanding that if I do something on someone else's property (that they don't want me to do), then I'm simply committing to trespass. Unless, of course I'm committing an offence under common law (murder, rape, theft ect...)

The person who told me this claims to have "a drone licence" and said that if I had one then I should know. I'm pretty sure he's lying about having passed his part 107 (or even owning a drone at all), especially since he seems to be under the impression that to fly one, you must be licenced. However, I thought I'd check just to remove any doubt on the matter.

Many thanks

Ugh is this a real question? That is like saying "if I decide to camp out on a neighbors lawn do I really need their permission to do so?" Who do we have out there flying drones? Oy vey to our sport being inundated with people that have no common sense!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: sar104 and BigAl07
Ugh is this a real question?

Is this even a real answer?

That is like saying "if I decide to camp out on a neighbors lawn do I really need their permission to do so?"

Camping on your neighbour's lawn and flying your drone in a public park are not comparable concepts so I'm not sure what your point is here.

Who do we have out there flying drones?

I see where this is going...

Oy vey to our sport being inundated with people that have no common sense!

...and their it is, the insult.

Like I give a carp. Seriously, do people still do this?

Really, why do people like you bother with forums like this? I'm sure that there are people out their (people with over priced fashionable smart phones) who live a lonely and inadequate life and the only way they can make themselves feel better is by making someone else feel worse. Of course, they don't do this to someone they're standing behind in a coffee shop queue, sitting next to on the bus or hell, even a friend or family member. No, they're more cowardly than that. They rip into someone who they can't see, don't know, have never met and most likely will never meet because they live in a small country across the ocean. Self esteem boosted at the cost of someone else's and with no consequences, job done.

***** Edited.... unneeded ******

Last edited by a moderator:
Enough is enough. Play nice (all) or you can go play somewhere else. We don't have to agree but we do have to get along and be nice.

Reactions: Fishie
It's actually a good question. By the way, the FAA does not and will not get involved in where you take off from.

I kind of look at it this way: If it is a place where I would be comfortable taking a camping chair out of my car, setting it down and eating a sandwich, then I will usually be comfortable launching my drone from there. (I'm not talking about putting my chair down at a gathering.)

I love old barns and old buildings. In Piney Flats, TN (VERY country), there was an old barn with a beautiful tobacco field. I asked the owner's permission because their house was practically adjacent to the field. In nearby Johnson City (a good-size town) I very comfortably parked at the abandoned General / Modal Mills plant and flew without discomfort or incident. I believe the property is owned by a developer, but I learned that after the fact.

The exception to the "sandwich test" is if I know that there is some other issue or restriction.

Reactions: y2keable
I'm not clear what point you are trying to make, other than to obfuscate a very simple issue. That you have no objection to public use of your property does not change that privately owned land cannot be assumed, in the absence of permission, to be open to public activities.
I never said I grant the USE of my property. But...if someone is retrieving a ball, walks by with a dog, is delivering something, all of which are short time events and no damage is being done...I don't care. No, I don't want people parking in my yard, having sporting events, etc. I think some will sit on their porch just looking for something to complain about.

. . .That is like saying "if I decide to camp out on a neighbors lawn do I really need their permission to do so?" . . .
Didja know that in Sweden this is legal? You have to stay some distance (don't remember the number) from the house, but it is legal.

Don't know about flying a drone there though... ;)

Didja know that in Sweden this is legal? You have to stay some distance (don't remember the number) from the house, but it is legal.

Don't know about flying a drone there though... ;)

Technically, it's legal in the UK too, it would simply amount to trespass which is a civil offence, not a criminal offence.

1472912429318-58929327.jpg

I'm putting up two of this guys in my front fence... Things are as easy as long as you follow basic common sense, if you see one posted somewhere just stay away, even if you have see someone riding horses or walking a dog, just because you saw someone that is not indication that its ok to go in! Do some research before planning your trip (I do it as ham radio operator when trying to work portabke) most if the cities had some sort of website where you can search for public land or public parks, there is where i go and fly as long as its safe to do it.

[ATTACHdoesn't ]63974[/ATTACH]
I'm putting up two of this guys in my front fence... Things are as easy as long as you follow basic common sense, if you see one posted somewhere just stay away, even if you have see someone riding horses or walking a dog, just because you saw someone that is not indication that its ok to go in! Do some research before planning your trip (I do it as ham radio operator when trying to work portabke) most if the cities had some sort of website where you can search for public land or public parks, there is where i go and fly as long as its safe to do it.
Signs like that are a nice reminder that the owner doesn't want uninvited people on their property....but that's all they are good for. I doubt any law really would back that up. It's all about intent. If you were stopped on the side of road changing a flat tire and your dog got out and ran to the property, or even your child and you went to retrieve them...have you broken any laws and should you be prosecuted.? I could have a sign stating that if you enter my property, you have to pay me $10......do you think you could collect?

Totally different thing to have someone retrieving a dog that cross in my lawn that a guy taking off and landing a drone from my yard...

Or if a guy take your daughter to a party once that make it a "no problem" situation to another guy getting in bed with her?

Lol... :p

Trespass to land involves the "wrongful interference with one's possessory rights in [real] property."[12] It is not necessary to prove that harm was suffered to bring a claim, and is instead actionable per se. While most trespasses to land are intentional, British courts have held liability holds for trespass committed negligently.[70] Similarly, some American courts will find liability for unintentional intrusions only where such intrusions arise under circumstances evincing negligence or involve a highly dangerous activity.[13] Exceptions exist for entering land adjoining a road unintentionally (such as in a car accident), as in River Wear Commissioners v Adamson.

So I guess you could argue that a dog running onto someone's property is trespassing, however such trespass is not intentional and done so for safety of anyone else on the property and the dog as well.

You can always hand launch and recover. That way, you are the only thing trespassing. The Phantom can go on living a normal life while you are in court. Perfect:p

Reactions: MrFus

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik