Kittyhawk Connection and Authorization issues

Reaction score
I downloaded Kittyhawk because of all the negativity surrounding Airmap. I cannot seem to get Kittyhawk to connect to my aircraft. And I don't have the option to submit a LAANC Authorization.

I am running Kittyhawk on an Android tablet. I set up an account and put my Part 107 and aircraft information into my profile. I have tried starting Kittyhawk both before and after my aircraft and controller are powered up.

What am I missing? Does DJIGo need to be running for Kittyhawk to work?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Kittyhawk on Android is a bit incomplete. I have never been able to pair it with DJI and the LAANC authorization option isn't active yet. Those are iOS only options for now.

because of all the negativity surrounding Airmap.
Is the negativity surrounding Airmap deserved? Or are some people making much ado about nothing? Or is it Airmap's competition dissing them?

All sincere questions, not being facetious... I need to learn more about this - LAANC for recreational pilots is upon us and I'd like to know more. Thanks

Reactions: DroneB
Kittyhawk on Android is a bit incomplete. I have never been able to pair it with DJI and the LAANC authorization option isn't active yet. Those are iOS only options for now.
Thanks, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Makes me hesitate to switch to Kittyhawk if their lag for android devices is so great.

Is the negativity surrounding Airmap deserved? Or are some people making much ado about nothing? Or is it Airmap's competition dissing them?

All sincere questions, not being facetious... I need to learn more about this - LAANC for recreational pilots is upon us and I'd like to know more. Thanks
For me the jury is still out. I am not sure who to believe. But I wanted to start looking at alternatives just in case the nay sayers are right.

I downloaded Kittyhawk because of all the negativity surrounding Airmap. I cannot seem to get Kittyhawk to connect to my aircraft. And I don't have the option to submit a LAANC Authorization.

I am running Kittyhawk on an Android tablet. I set up an account and put my Part 107 and aircraft information into my profile. I have tried starting Kittyhawk both before and after my aircraft and controller are powered up.

What am I missing? Does DJIGo need to be running for Kittyhawk to work?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Hey man try updating Kittyhawk, as of 2 hours ago I successfully did a LAANC approval on Android with the Kittyhawk app! July 23rd is the day that LAANC was rolled out in many areas. I did not have the option yesterday. But today you should be good to go!

I am still having troubles connecting my DJI account though, still working on it...

Reactions: Ansia
I was really hopeful this would fix my problem. But LAANC Approval is still not an option for me. Did not get a chance to try connecting to my aircraft before going to work. But I am guessing that won't work either. Another issue is that When I try to create a mission it says 'Coming Soon'.

Your aircraft does not need to be connected in order to get LAANC approval. As for the rest.?

Your aircraft does not need to be connected in order to get LAANC approval. As for the rest.?
Are you able to get authorization on an android device? All I am able to do is get the weather reports and the display of airspace on the maps. ☹

No. When I use an android device, I use Airmap. Only use Kittyhawk on iOS. I do prefer Kittyhawk, but since when LAANC authorizations only worked with Airmap, I just stuck to it. I did download the new kittyhawk on my android device, but can't remember the password for my account. ?

I was really hopeful this would fix my problem. But LAANC Approval is still not an option for me. Did not get a chance to try connecting to my aircraft before going to work. But I am guessing that won't work either. Another issue is that When I try to create a mission it says 'Coming Soon'.
Try this, go into the Kittyhawk app, see at the bottom where it says airspace maps. Click the maps button. scroll around the map until you find the controlled airspace you want to fly in. Tap once to stick a little pin on the area where you want to fly. Swipe up the notification drawer from the bottom of your screen where the temperature and gps coordinates are. Pull it up and you will see in the list it will tell you what kind of air space that is, whether it is class b or d or whatnot. Above that you will see a little button that says get authorization. It is pretty straightforward from there.

(Just to clarify and summarize, The home screen does not have the LAANC button, it is hidden in the airspace maps section and only if you tap and put the little pin in an airspace that is controlled. then in the bottom drawer you get the authorization option. Kind of tricky to find, but it should be there.)

On iOS is it hidden in the + symbol at the bottom. Why would they make it in such a round about way for Android? BTW, that is a screenshot from my Android tablet I just took.
Screenshot_20190724-162402_Kittyhawk.jpg

Try this, go into the Kittyhawk app, see at the bottom where it says airspace maps. Click the maps button. scroll around the map until you find the controlled airspace you want to fly in. Tap once to stick a little pin on the area where you want to fly. Swipe up the notification drawer from the bottom of your screen where the temperature and gps coordinates are. Pull it up and you will see in the list it will tell you what kind of air space that is, whether it is class b or d or whatnot. Above that you will see a little button that says get authorization. It is pretty straightforward from there.

(Just to clarify and summarize, The home screen does not have the LAANC button, it is hidden in the airspace maps section and only if you tap and put the little pin in an airspace that is controlled. then in the bottom drawer you get the authorization option. Kind of tricky to find, but it should be there.)
Tried your way on Kittyhawk, it says it's unavailable.
Screenshot_20190724-170904_Kittyhawk.jpg

Tried with Airmap and got authorization quickly.
Screenshot_20190724-170948_AirMap.jpg

So I am sure there is no problems with LAANC.

Tried your way on Kittyhawk, it says it's unavailable.
View attachment 113202

Tried with Airmap and got authorization quickly.
View attachment 113203

So I am sure there is no problems with LAANC.
It looks like you are not in the United States. Kitty hawk might not be available in your country quite yet, but it is working perfectly fine here in the United States. I'm not sure if the original poster is in the United States or not.

It looks like you are not in the United States. Kitty hawk might not be available in your country quite yet, but it is working perfectly fine here in the United States. I'm not sure if the original poster is in the United States or not.
You do know that LAANC is a United States only service?

Viola, that worked! Thanks so much!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.