Kindle Fire HDX with P3A

Reaction score
Is anyone using the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 with a P3A using the Pilot App? I know Amazon has limited access to apps, but I can buy a used one for $160. The seller has downloaded the Pilot App onto the Fire.

I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, 7 inch. It has a little bit of lag, plus, HD video does not play back well at all (at least, I cannot get it to do so).

I know the NVIDIA Shield seems to be the way to go, but I just can't justify the cost differential.

As always, your advice is appreciated!

Is anyone using the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 with a P3A using the Pilot App? I know Amazon has limited access to apps, but I can buy a used one for $160. The seller has downloaded the Pilot App onto the Fire.

I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, 7 inch. It has a little bit of lag, plus, HD video does not play back well at all (at least, I cannot get it to do so).

I know the NVIDIA Shield seems to be the way to go, but I just can't justify the cost differential.

As always, your advice is appreciated!

I personally wouldn't go with the HDX, since you will have to side load the Pilot App for every update. Plus who knows if the HDX is any better, as it is not a compatible/recommended device.

If the price is a concern then I would go with the Nexus 7(2013), as it's compatible and runs very well.

I personally wouldn't go with the HDX, since you will have to side load the Pilot App for every update. Plus who knows if the HDX is any better, as it is not a compatible/recommended device.

If the price is a concern then I would go with the Nexus 7(2013), as it's compatible and runs very well.

Thank you very much for the advice. I will look into the Nexus 7. :)

I am a new pilot using the Kindle fire hdx with my P3P. As far as I can see everything is working fine, once I downloaded the dii app from the dji site that is The only problem I am having is that the maps are not there so I cannot cache any pre flight maps. Am I doing something wrong, or are there any settings that I can go I to to rectify the problem.

since you will have to side load the Pilot App for every update.

We're all having to side load currently to get the newest version even with a supported/approved device, so I wouldn't see this as a concern.

You could always run the AirDroid app which makes side loading a simple thing. Plus you can receive and send texts right from your computer.

I am a new pilot using the Kindle fire hdx with my P3P. As far as I can see everything is working fine, once I downloaded the dii app from the dji site that is The only problem I am having is that the maps are not there so I cannot cache any pre flight maps. Am I doing something wrong, or are there any settings that I can go I to to rectify the problem.
maps are not coming up because your kindle probably is not GPS compatible. I used it to fly with my P2v+ but just gave it to the wife since it really wasnt working the way I had hoped.

Reactions: Russ
maps are not coming up because your kindle probably is not GPS compatible. I used it to fly with my P2v+ but just gave it to the wife since it really wasnt working the way I had hoped.
Thanks Bigdz for the quick reply, I have seen on the forum that members mention the Nexus 7, also I am looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7 inch tablet, do these have the GPS capability that I need.

Thanks Bigdz for the quick reply, I have seen on the forum that members mention the Nexus 7, also I am looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7 inch tablet, do these have the GPS capability that I need.
Yes, the Kindle Fire is probably the only Android device that doesn't have GPS capability.

Reactions: Russ
I have nvidia shield tablet, bought it used, works great with my P3. No latency they I've noticed. I also use my iPhone 6 +
As for the tab 4, I believe forum members ran into issues with latency or dropouts,. Probably the best bang for your buck would be the nexus 7 2 gen...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic