Keeping battery warm?

• Thread starter Deleted member 99081
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 99081

I'm getting a lot of "battery too cold to fly" warning lately on my P4A. I'm on the west of Ireland, and it's unusually cold, even for February. We are expecting snow next week, and that is unheard of, where I live (Valentia Ring of Kerry). If it happens, it will allow for some very unusual images, and I want to be ready for them.

Are there any tip on keeping the P4A battery warm, as it could drop to below flying temperature quite quickly, even while in the car or getting ready to fly? And, should those warnings always be heeded? I expect the temperature to be no lower than -3C.

Thanks, Stephen

Put it in your pocket but clean out the pocket first, grit etc could cause problems subsequently with terminals. Plenty of great scenery down in Kerry.

Thanks @Michael O'Byrne, perhaps I should have asked about warming it up, rather than keeping it warm, as I don't usually take long to get it from the car to the drone and it's coming out cold lately.

I do photography workshops on Valentia and it's proving popular, so I might include the drone soon too. My Website

Here's a shot I did with it last week....

dronepic.jpg

I get that warning every now and then. Especially if I leave my P3Pro batteries on the charger in my garage at night. I now keep them in the foam rubber case that I put the P3P in and keep them in the house. If I do get the warning anyway, I will just take off and go into a hover at about 4 feet up and let it sit there for a minute or two.

I get that warning every now and then. Especially if I leave my P3Pro batteries on the charger in my garage at night. I now keep them in the foam rubber case that I put the P3P in and keep them in the house. If I do get the warning anyway, I will just take off and go into a hover at about 4 feet up and let it sit there for a minute or two.

Thanks @Grandpa Don At the moment, I only have 1 battery (planning to change this soon), and I leave it in the drone, when it's in the case - which is always in my house unless traveling to the launch site. I have spare padded iPad case and I might use that for now, as the battery bag, to see if it helps. The issue is though (I guess), how soon will the temperature drop when the drone is airborne?

Reactions: cuzzy1
If I do get the warning anyway, I will just take off and go into a hover at about 4 feet up and let it sit there for a minute or two.

So, flying will warm up the battery? It doesn't seem to be working that way for me.

Stephen thanks in fact I am are tired member of IPPA. Had 20 most enjoyable and rewarding years as a full time professional. Have a p4 now for hobby space

I thought you might be Michael. I can't afford to retire, so 35 years later, I'm still doing it - sometimes for fun!

hi pocketwarmer to keep the battery warm. or top them off before flying. the problem i have is to keep the iPad warm. yesterday i fly in a lot off wind 7m/s. to 9 m/s and mid flight the iPad shuts down.(full charged ) any problem solving? Thx in advance

hi pocketwarmer to keep the battery warm.

Great idea - thanks! USB hand warmer / portable charger was a new thing for me. Perfect for charging the phone on location and Reynaud's disease in my hand. Just ordered one; coming on Tuesday. Got a shoot tomorrow (Monday) which is a pity but it'll be great for the promised cold snap here next week and beyond!

I'm getting a lot of "battery too cold to fly" warning lately on my P4A. I'm on the west of Ireland, and it's unusually cold, even for February. We are expecting snow next week, and that is unheard of, where I live (Valentia Ring of Kerry). If it happens, it will allow for some very unusual images, and I want to be ready for them.

Are there any tip on keeping the P4A battery warm, as it could drop to below flying temperature quite quickly, even while in the car or getting ready to fly? And, should those warnings always be heeded? I expect the temperature to be no lower than -3C.

Thanks, Stephen

Hi, here, on the East Coast of Canada, I fly often in the colder weather.....although I don't fly when it's colder than -10C because it's too unpleasant on the fingers....lol

For cold weather operations, you really do have to keep your flight batteries warm. You can do that by keeping them inside your jacket pocket. Preferably an inner pocket and one that is super clean. NO crumbs or other grit that can get into the insides of the battery, particularly in or around the battery connections.

I will advise you that you do have to keep a sharp eye on your Battery Status icon on your Head's Up Display(HUD), because in cold weather your battery may go from 87% capacity to 44% in a few minutes. Batteries(in your drone, your controller, and in your mobile device, don't like cold temperatures and the performance of these batteries is compromised in cold weather.
Basically, the colder the weather, the worse it is for your batteries.
So, you have to watch it.

You really wouldn't want to be over water somewhere-about 1,000 feet offshore- and your battery status goes from 75% down to 38% in an instant, leaving you with 1,000 feet to cover, and get back to your HomePoint with little margin for error.

So, in cold weather flight operations, you really have to be careful.

Keep those batteries warm and keep an eye on how those batteries are performing.

Reactions: Grandpa Don
Hi, here, on the East Coast of Canada, I fly often in the colder weather.....although I don't fly when it's colder than -10C because it's too unpleasant on the fingers....lol

For cold weather operations, you really do have to keep your flight batteries warm. You can do that by keeping them inside your jacket pocket. Preferably an inner pocket and one that is super clean. NO crumbs or other grit that can get into the insides of the battery, particularly in or around the battery connections.

I appreciate all the detailed information @Hendricks it was really very helpful. You and @ARM will see (above) that I've ordered a hand warmer, which will help with the battery and be an upgrade on putting it under my arm. I also experience severely cold hands, even at temperatures well above 0 degrees C, because of mild Reynard's Disease (despite wearing finger-less gloves). It will also help to keep my phone charged for flying.

I use an insulated bag with hot water bottles. Preheat before heading out with a hair dryer with shroud. I like to see 40c on takeoff.

Reactions: Sky Wombat

I plan on trying these on the back of my iPhone and iPad when out flying in the cold. Hopefully in the next couple days.
Will also try them for keeping the batteries warm before I fly. I place my batteries in an insulated bag with one of those grain bags (used for sore muscles & joints) you heat in the microwave.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4