Ka-BOOM!

Reaction score
It's not a very good feeling when you hear the best quadcopter ever being beat to death as it falls 100ft of tree branches and hillside. It's been freezing crazy here for a long time and I was finally getting to fly to a warm 31 degrees. I started out flying almost into direct sunlight so I was relying on readings from the Nexus 7. I paused at about 1/8th mile away and adjusted the tilt on the camera. Got things where I wanted them and continued on and paused again at 1/4 mile. I just began to climb up a little and the infamous connection broken screen appeared and 10 seconds later I could actually hear it going through hell and finally became silent. The 1st thing I did was remove the nexus 7 and went into the app setting to use the "Locate My Phantom". And I can vouch it does work well. From the experience the app records the last transmitted signal and marks it on the map. In this case it does not matter if the battery is in tact or not. The GPS then uses your tablet or smartphone location as a live indicator on the app map. I thank the developer of the app so much for this feature. It helped speed up the retrieval time a bunch.

Ok so in speaking about the rertrieval, making a long story shorter, my P2V hit tree tops on 40ft tree's on top of a 60ft hillside. In searching I lost my footing and slid some 40ft straight to the bottom. I busted up one of my knee's along with scrapes from gravel and other junk in a small stream at the bottom. I spotted my P2V on my way out. I made it home and got my wife and friends she had that were getting ready to come after me, to not go to hospital. I cleaned myself up some and went back to get it because I didn't want the battery sitting out all night knowing it would get ruined. Took flashlights and rope to lower a person down the hillside. I made it back home where I have since stiffened up a lot. I'm really stupid for doing any of the retrieval because I'm permanently disabled from an accident some years back and this deal very well could have done me in.

So as you see in the pic's below it knocked the camera off, the battery was totally out 5ft away, and 3 chewed up blades. I put it back together with parts I had on hand but it has a short in camera wire harness which I will try ordering a replacement rather then soldering iron.

One of the sad parts is I spent most of the afternoon, before going out to fly, talking by email with Tony at "FPV Long Range" about better antenna's.

crash1.jpg

crash2.jpg

Sorry to hear about the crash but glad to hear you're OK. From the photos it looks like your Vision suffered minor damage and a few scuff marks which will likely cleanup nicely. Get better first - everyone will still be here to offer help if & when you need it.

iDrone :)

iDrone said:
Sorry to hear about the crash but glad to hear you're OK. From the photos it looks like your Vision suffered minor damage and a few scuff marks which will likely cleanup nicely. Get better first - everyone will still be here to offer help if & when you need it.

iDrone,

Thanks so much! Is there something like schematic's of the Vision somewhere that shows replaceable parts with part numbers and possible prices?

I remember seeing someone soldering wires going to their camera, and I would prefer to replace one of these tiny wire harness then to solder if I don't have to. Btw, before anyone recommends it, I did have plastic tie straps going through the camera mounts. It's just that this situation was violent enough to still pull the camera from the mounts. The micro sd card was even missing when I picked it up which really shocked me.

I'm not sure where you're located so I'll refer you to Dronefly.com who very nicely displays their goodies in one place like a candy store. Have a look and if you don't see what you're looking for, use their Search Box. As arinvideo mentioned the Cable Pack includes the camera cable & I can confirm the other end simply plugs into the Central Board inside the Vision. You'll have to remove some glue on the plug holding it there but it's not difficult.

Dronefly also offers a repair service for $99 - send them your Phantom and they fix it for you. If it's going to be more than $99 I'm sure they'll let you know: http://www.dronefly.com/default.asp?m=0

If the scuff mark on the top is indicative of a hard landing on the the top shell it would be worth having a look at the GPS unit under the adhesive shielding on the underside of the shell. Other users who have had inverted impacts have reported fine cracks on the GPS receiver in there. That's a replaceable part as well, but hopefully won't be required.

Once you're on the mend and looking to get airborne again it's an idea to use some fishing line or thin cable ties through a couple of the rubber dampers to keep the camera from detaching and yanking the cable should there be a future hard impact.

The only other thing to say is double check the battery for any swelling - if you see any then don't keep it in the house, it's a fire risk. Hopefully the plastic surround of these smart batteries does a good job in protecting it, but always worth checking - let's not have anything else bad happen.

Get well soon.

A little late now, but hopefully this will help next time: Try not to fly into the sun. As you found out, you can easily lose track of your aircraft as well as lose orientation awareness.

If it DOES happen again, however, when in doubt, it is usually safest to go UP. Gain some altitude and then activate either IOC or Failsafe. You do have failsafe programmed to RTH, right? : D

Good luck and mend up soon!

iDrone said:
I'm not sure where you're located so I'll refer you to Dronefly.com who very nicely displays their goodies in one place like a candy store. Have a look and if you don't see what you're looking for, use their Search Box. As arinvideo mentioned the Cable Pack includes the camera cable & I can confirm the other end simply plugs into the Central Board inside the Vision. You'll have to remove some glue on the plug holding it there but it's not difficult.

Dronefly also offers a repair service for $99 - send them your Phantom and they fix it for you. If it's going to be more than $99 I'm sure they'll let you know: http://www.dronefly.com/default.asp?m=0

iDrone, thanks for the info and link. That site looks to be very useful. Btw, my location is Indiana, USA.

Pull_Up said:
If the scuff mark on the top is indicative of a hard landing on the the top shell it would be worth having a look at the GPS unit under the adhesive shielding on the underside of the shell. Other users who have had inverted impacts have reported fine cracks on the GPS receiver in there. That's a replaceable part as well, but hopefully won't be required.

Once you're on the mend and looking to get airborne again it's an idea to use some fishing line or thin cable ties through a couple of the rubber dampers to keep the camera from detaching and yanking the cable should there be a future hard impact.

The only other thing to say is double check the battery for any swelling - if you see any then don't keep it in the house, it's a fire risk. Hopefully the plastic surround of these smart batteries does a good job in protecting it, but always worth checking - let's not have anything else bad happen.
Get well soon.

Pull_Up, there is a small dark brown scuff near the top, but it is not associated with the recent crash. That scuff was from a nonviolent episode. Right after taking the pic's I cleaned everything up using 50% isopropyl alcohol. I could not find stress cracks, or any other issues outside of what is already known. Also as I mention in a couple of post above, I did have a couple of plastic tie straps attached in the camera mounts. It's also kind of hard to say whether it was good the the tie straps didn't stay in tact or not. Maybe the camera coming off in this impact saved it from greater damage? And thank you for the kind words. It nice reading them especially when you are not feeling your best.

FSJ Guy said:
A little late now, but hopefully this will help next time: Try not to fly into the sun. As you found out, you can easily lose track of your aircraft as well as lose orientation awareness.

If it DOES happen again, however, when in doubt, it is usually safest to go UP. Gain some altitude and then activate either IOC or Failsafe. You do have failsafe programmed to RTH, right? : D
Good luck and mend up soon!

FSJ Guy, I'm embarrassed to say I have never programmed failsafe, nor am I sure the procedure. Thank you for your kind words!

1204.jpg

1205.jpg

The pic's above are from where I slid down the hillside. You can kind of connect the two dark area's together to see it better in length. The worse parts is right at the bottom. You can't see when looking at the pic but it drops straight down so I ended up being air born as I slammed the very bottom.

I took video of what went on after it happened from my smartphone. I'll upload it to youtube when I get a chance. I can laugh about most of this now since it's been a few days since it went down.

Btw, I have most everything sorted out with my P2V. But I have one issue with the camera but I'm just going to make a new thread instead of posting it here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl