Just purchased a used Phantom 4 standard remote. Should I allow firmware updates?

Reaction score
Hey all, I just purchased a used Phantom 4 standard remote on eBay. It charges to full capacity! So far so good. What I'm worried about is whether this new one will require me to download the same firmware update that caused my original remote to experience the famous charging problem and put me right back where I started. I did the reflow solution on the original remote with limited success the first time, got it charging to 50%. Then it dropped off again and on my second attempt, I must have fried something because it didn't work at all. I'm pretty sure I know what I did wrong that second time but I'd really like to avoid the problem altogether with this new one. It's been over a year since all that happened but I believe it was a firmware update that caused it. Will it happen again when I connect to the Phantom? Can I decline the update and still fly?

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.
J.

I have had my trusty old phantom 4 Four years with out a problem, have always loaded firmware updates with out a hiccup, I have only had battery problem when over charging best if you store by the book as low as a discharge you can get them without being Flat no power about 1 light.

I have had my trusty old phantom 4 Four years with out a problem, have always loaded firmware updates with out a hiccup, I have only had battery problem when over charging best if you store by the book as low as a discharge you can get them without being Flat no power about 1 light.
Good practice on intelligent batteries too. Thanks. FYI- my first one was one of the thousands that had the factory defect. Not everyone got one of the bad ones but a very high percentage of us did. Count your blessings, you got lucky. After that firmware update, a chip on the remotes board malfunctioned and would not show it was charged. people started buying new batteries for their remote only to discover the new battery DJI sent them would not charge either. In reality, the batteries WERE charging. The faulty chip prevented the remote from registering the charge. DJI handled it poorly. I know they were overwhelmed with customers bombarding them but they just kept throwing out quick fixes that did not work. It wasn't the battery, the battery was fine. .It was on the circuit board

It was a pretty savvy and very technical Phantom pilot in Europe who identified the faulty chip and put an excellent video up on youtube giving step-by-step instructions of how to disassemble the remote, identify the faulty chip, do the reflow, then reassemble. It is one of the best instructional videos I've ever seen. He clearly put a lot of effort into making It. He helped so many of us, the guy probably can't pay for his own beer anywhere in America if there's a Phantom 4 pilot sitting at the bar.

Looks like my new/used one was a successful reflow... but it's working well. I'll take it! :)

Hey all, I just purchased a used Phantom 4 standard remote on eBay. It charges to full capacity! So far so good. What I'm worried about is whether this new one will require me to download the same firmware update that caused my original remote to experience the famous charging problem and put me right back where I started. I did the reflow solution on the original remote with limited success the first time, got it charging to 50%. Then it dropped off again and on my second attempt, I must have fried something because it didn't work at all. I'm pretty sure I know what I did wrong that second time but I'd really like to avoid the problem altogether with this new one. It's been over a year since all that happened but I believe it was a firmware update that caused it. Will it happen again when I connect to the Phantom? Can I decline the update and still fly?

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.
J.
If it works, LEAVE IT AALONE!

Reactions: umanbean
Good practice on intelligent batteries too. Thanks. FYI- my first one was one of the thousands that had the factory defect. Not everyone got one of the bad ones but a very high percentage of us did. Count your blessings, you got lucky. After that firmware update, a chip on the remotes board malfunctioned and would not show it was charged. people started buying new batteries for their remote only to discover the new battery DJI sent them would not charge either. In reality, the batteries WERE charging. The faulty chip prevented the remote from registering the charge. DJI handled it poorly. I know they were overwhelmed with customers bombarding them but they just kept throwing out quick fixes that did not work. It wasn't the battery, the battery was fine. .It was on the circuit board

It was a pretty savvy and very technical Phantom pilot in Europe who identified the faulty chip and put an excellent video up on youtube giving step-by-step instructions of how to disassemble the remote, identify the faulty chip, do the reflow, then reassemble. It is one of the best instructional videos I've ever seen. He clearly put a lot of effort into making It. He helped so many of us, the guy probably can't pay for his own beer anywhere in America if there's a Phantom 4 pilot sitting at the bar.

Looks like my new/used one was a successful reflow... but it's working well. I'll take it! :)
Don't get the xxx810 update, you do and the RTH will stop work

I have updated all firmware each time a new one was issued for RC and drone. What I have not updated is the GEO Fencing update software, I always decline the update. So far I have had no issues flying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers