Just downloaded the Litchi app.... any advice?

Reaction score
Just downloaded the Litchi app.... any advice or tips for me before i try it out for the first time this weekend??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Start small until you learn the app & how far your Phantom can travel on a battery. Don't make your first mission an 8 mile flight! Recon your flight area for obstacles & necessary clearence then check, double-check, & triple-check your waypoint altitudes.
And the RTH altitude! If you haven't yet, download and thoroughly read the manual. Check out things like how the mission runs differently if you have the 'path' set for curves instead of straight. Double check what you have set foe end of mission, do you want it to hover, land or RTH. And check out mission hub on the litchi web for mission planning. There have been lots of post here on litchi, be doing yourself a favor if you go back and read some of those threads, too.

Reactions: Suhail78
Start small until you learn the app & how far your Phantom can travel on a battery. Don't make your first mission an 8 mile flight! Recon your flight area for obstacles & necessary clearance then check, double-check, & triple-check your way point altitudes.

Thanks for the advise Dirty Bird! I've seen some of your videos on the forum, they are really great!!! I appreciate the advice!!! If you think of anything else i should know, please pass it along!! Really excited about trying out Litchi this weekend!

And the RTH altitude! If you haven't yet, download and thoroughly read the manual. Check out things like how the mission runs differently if you have the 'path' set for curves instead of straight. Double check what you have set foe end of mission, do you want it to hover, land or RTH. And check out mission hub on the litchi web for mission planning. There have been lots of post here on litchi, be doing yourself a favor if you go back and read some of those threads, too.

Thanks Richard! I will definitely download the manual and read it thoroughly, and check out the mission hub! Really appreciate your advice!

Other have said it and I've read it a million times...CHECK THE MISSION CAREFULLY. I just had a major crash by not paying close attention, first crash in 18 months of flying. Somehow before or after the mission flight started I accidentally added a BAD Waypoint and didn't notice. The screens are hard to see in the bight sunlight. My mission link will show the error. The mission was planned to end and #20 (Homepoint) but as you see another waypoint was added taking the bird back across the harbor. It didn't clear the row of trees and fell 49 feet to the ground. I tried desperately to switch to regular mode and take control but didn't make it in time. My flight records confirmed the switch at the same time I hit the tree branches. I do think Litchi needs a LOCK function that can be used when you are sure you're good with the mission so it won't allow accidental changes in the field. ---> Mission Hub - Litchi

Other have said it and I've read it a million times...CHECK THE MISSION CAREFULLY. I just had a major crash by not paying close attention, first crash in 18 months of flying. Somehow before or after the mission flight started I accidentally added a BAD Waypoint and didn't notice. The screens are hard to see in the bight sunlight. My mission link will show the error. The mission was planned to end and #20 (Homepoint) but as you see another waypoint was added taking the bird back across the harbor. It didn't clear the row of trees and fell 49 feet to the ground. I tried desperately to switch to regular mode and take control but didn't make it in time. My flight records confirmed the switch at the same time I hit the tree branches. I do think Litchi needs a LOCK function that can be used when you are sure you're good with the mission so it won't allow accidental changes in the field. ---> Mission Hub - Litchi

Thanks for the tip Chris! I cant wait to take her up and set up some simple newbie missions, like flying around a field!

Just downloaded the Litchi app.... any advice or tips for me before i try it out for the first time this weekend??

Always make sure that first WP is very close to the place you take off. Once you have finished creating the mission, run through each WP again and check all the settings. Make sure that your home point has no obstuctions above it (trees, power lines etc) when you do start your mission

Always make sure that first WP is very close to the place you take off. Once you have finished creating the mission, run through each WP again and check all the settings. Make sure that your home point has no obstuctions above it (trees, power lines etc) when you do start your mission

Thanks man! Really appreciate the advice! cant wait to try the app this weekend! gonna start off with small simple missions in an open field to get the hang of things!

I only tried one Litchi mission since downloading and scared the crap out of myself. I didn't plan enough elevation change due to rising terrain from the takeoff point. I aborted when the POV started showing me pine cones still attached to an 80 foot tree. I think I was pretty close to my first crash. My suggestions are to fly manually first to make sure your elevations are correct and know how to abort before you take off on the real mission. The footage I did get was awesome and I can't wait to try it again when I get a chance!

I only tried one Litchi mission since downloading and scared the crap out of myself. I didn't plan enough elevation change due to rising terrain from the takeoff point. I aborted when the POV started showing me pine cones still attached to an 80 foot tree. I think I was pretty close to my first crash. My suggestions are to fly manually first to make sure your elevations are correct and know how to abort before you take off on the real mission. The footage I did get was awesome and I can't wait to try it again when I get a chance!

Great advice Phantomprof3, thanks for your response! I plan on taking it VERY slow, simple missions plotted in an open field, maybe just figure 8 with some elevation changes and different POI's in an open field.

Plus one on check, double check and triple check your altitude.

When I am not sure about clearance I fly the mission manually to make sure my altitude is correct.

Also and most importantly make sure to give the bird enough room to reach the altitude desired from one waypoint to another waypoint , do not cut yourself short. In another words, let's say waypoint 1 is at 30 Ft altitude and waypoint 2 is at 60 Ft altitude, what's going to happen is that the bird will gradually ascend on its way to waypoint 2, when it reaches waypoint 2 is going to be at the exact height, make sure the bird has enough clearance when ascending from one waypoint to another.

I was following a thread in this forum on a crash using Litchi, he had all the right altitudes. The problem with the mission was that he didn't give the AC enough clearance to reach the right altitude from one point to the other, the bird hit a tree on it's way up.

Remember the P4 max ascent speed is 6 m/s and that is in sport mode.

Litchi will continue the mission even if the AC gets disconnected from the RC. To be on the safe side I keep my missions at 18 mins top.

Last edited:
Two tips I tell friends:
1. Learn to use Mission Hub on a PC or MAC to setup your flights. Notice Mission Hub provides you with ASL elevations for anywhere, and it also provides the altitude difference with your first waypoint. Look for it in small print within each way-point info box. This info is very helpful.
2. As you watch your mission execute VLOS in the air, keep your finger on the mode switch. Switching to any other mode (preferably P or S) stops the mission in it's tracks if you see a problem arise.

Plus one on check, double check and triple check your altitude.

When I am not sure about clearance I fly the mission manually to make sure my altitude is correct.

Also and most importantly make sure to give the bird enough room to reach the altitude desired from one waypoint to another waypoint , do not cut yourself short. In another words, let's waypoint 1 at 30 Ft altitude and waypoint 2 at 60 Ft altitude, the bird will gradually ascend on its way to waypoint 2, when it reaches waypoint 2 is going to be at the exact height, make sure the bird has enough clearance when moving up from one waypoint to another.

I was following a thread in this forum on a crash using Litchi, he had all the right altitudes. The problem with the mission was that he didn't give the AC enough clearance to reach the right altitude from one point to the other, the bird hit a tree on it's way up.

Remember the P4 max ascent speed is 6 m/s and that is in sport mode.

Litchi will continue the mission even if the AC gets disconnected from the RC. To be on the safe side I keep my missions at 18 mins top.

Thanks ElGuapo! I'll remember this when i take it out with litchi for the first time!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl