Just a safety reminder about Atti Mode

Reaction score
I've had roughly 140 successful flights with my P3P and recently started experimenting with atti mode. I've had no issues but nearly had a collision yesterday while bringing her in for a landing. I typically fly over water and bring my Phantom in towards me and allow for the auto braking in P mode to slow her down as she approaches the beach. I inadvertently left my Phantom in atti therefore, I over shot the beach and nearly collided with an oak tree. Thankfully, all is fine but it's important for those using atti to make sure they remember the lack of auto braking while flying and the additional drifting that may occur.

When landing using ATTI I sometimes hand catch it especially in windy conditions. As it gets closer to the ground it becomes more unstable.

I've had roughly 140 successful flights with my P3P and recently started experimenting with atti mode. I've had no issues but nearly had a collision yesterday while bringing her in for a landing. I typically fly over water and bring my Phantom in towards me and allow for the auto braking in P mode to slow her down as she approaches the beach. I inadvertently left my Phantom in atti therefore, I over shot the beach and nearly collided with an oak tree. Thankfully, all is fine but it's important for those using atti to make sure they remember the lack of auto braking while flying and the additional drifting that may occur.
I like the posts that share valuable experiences with others. Nothing is really well understood and remembered unless experienced.

Reactions: SGs and CCDD
When landing using ATTI I sometimes hand catch it especially in windy conditions. As it gets closer to the ground it becomes more unstable.
You are far braver than me. I would never try to hand catch in ATTI mode on a windy day.

Reactions: JoBe and snowghost
I would hand catch in ATTI only if there were no other alternative.

Last edited:
I wasn't even aware that I had left it in atti mode until I played back the flight in the DJI Go App and noticed that I had Intentionally gone in and out of atti mode several times during the 18 minute flight with the last time choosing atti nearly 1/2 mile out over open water. I figured I would bring it back in a hurry never thinking to place it back in P mode. A close call I certainly don't care to repeat again.

Anyone tried landing in ATTI mode on windy day, is it liable to tip? Do people turn into the wind before landing?

Why would you want to land or hand catch in ATTI mode? Unless you had a GPS failure I don't see any reason not to flick the switch to P before doing that?

Ummm, the OP said "I inadvertently left my Phantom in atti...". Flying and or landing in Atti mode will improve your piloting skills, and put hair on your chest. Better to practice flying Atti mode, then trying to figure it out in an oh s%#t moment.

Why would you want to land or hand catch in ATTI mode? Unless you had a GPS failure I don't see any reason not to flick the switch to P before doing that?
I don't think anyone would choose to land in atti unless they had to or simply forgot like I did. It's just another "check list" item that one must remember when coming in for a landing.

My first crash was in atti mode in the redwoods. Down under the canopy of trees there's no gps signal, so it chooses atti for you. It flies great in atti 10 feet and under with the vps turned on but as soon as I went up around 30 feet and lost vps, the drifting became ridiculous. I let off the sticks and it flew backwards around 10mph into one of the trees and came down. I knew better but was having fun. The best way to fly in atti is with the bird in Home Lock so no matter what way it is facing, forward is forward, left is left from you, etc... Of course I didn't think of this until after the crash... I had turned the bird and with the extreme drift got lost on the controls. Then I found that the problem was really excessive drift above the vps range in extremely tight quarters with trees every 10 feet or less, but it was worth a shot and I will fly there again with it set in Home Lock. Flying under trees and bridges puts you into atti whether you like it or not. I hadn't flown in atti or any mode for a while with the weather and should have practiced a bit when it went into atti. It was the want of that shot and too much overconfidence that put me into a dangerous situation for the UAV. I have my wife catch it and I fly it to her in atti when the drift is severe and takes 2 hands... Well either my wife or a tree :)

I work in the Arctic where there is no GPS-Compass. ATTI is the default mode to fly. Given that it is often windy, I have to hand catch a lot. I do not use carbon props and I wear gloves for safety. The Phantom become more prone to drift as it nears the ground. You do want to be upwind.

Has anyone landed in wind under atti (not hand catch) do you tilt into the wind before you land or just go straight down

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers