Joystick Loose P4P Plus Controller

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

The right joystick on my P4P Plus Controller is "loose". The whole gimbal assembly for the right joystick seems to flop around inside the controller.

It is version 1 of the P4P Pro Plus

I bought both the whole system used so there is no warranty.

How hard would it be to actually fix the controller? And how SAFE would it be? I don't want be the guy who has to have a meeting with the FAA because my "fixed" controller caused my drone to crash through somebody's window.

I like to save money, but I also like to avoid drama when it comes to flying.

Thanks in advance.

It is not related to flight capabilities or signal strength.
Must be only a mechanical issue like a loose screw or something similar. But you have to open it.
If this is the issue you can fix it in minutes.

It is not related to flight capabilities or signal strength.
Must be only a mechanical issue like a loose screw or something similar. But you have to open it.
If this is the issue you can fix it in minutes.

Correct, it appears to be a purely mechanical issue with the right joystick.

If I pull UP on the joystick it seems to re-seat in to place, and can be moved normally if I use only LIGHT pressure (anything but the lightest pressure makes it fall back down inside the RC body).

Unfortunately, I think the fact that it came loose might have caused further issues, because now if I turn on the RC, it just starts beeping rapidly. Maybe because it came loose some cable got disconnected or something?

Correct, it appears to be a purely mechanical issue with the right joystick.

If I pull UP on the joystick it seems to re-seat in to place, and can be moved normally if I use only LIGHT pressure (anything but the lightest pressure makes it fall back down inside the RC body).

Unfortunately, I think the fact that it came loose might have caused further issues, because now if I turn on the RC, it just starts beeping rapidly. Maybe because it came loose some cable got disconnected or something?
The constant beeping will most likely stop by just moving the stick(s), if not, calibrate the remote.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

P4 RC disassembly:
11:41
Most likely the screw-seats split or broke off and you have to use quality glue for the repair.
P4 controller inside.jpg

Most likely the sticks are not calibrated if onr is off the place it should be.

Had to replace/switch out sticks on different models for P4s. They’re all same. During calibration, if a stick doesn’t respond instantly to movement, use spray lube or replace. Should move smoothly from 1 to 10 all directions, if not, replace. I have spare remotes to swap from but have one ready to send to DJI (battery and sticks). They return a new referb one for about $100. Incl frt. Looks new with new battery in 2 weeks or less. Good luck.
Set up with DJI support

you have to use quality glue for the repair.
Probably not the best advice since it involves a flyable aircraft.
I can picture a fixed wing mechanic telling a pilot that he used superglue to repair his controll stick that was a bit sloppy.
The parts to repair properly the hardware mentioned are readily available.

Reactions: Just Mark
The constant beeping will most likely stop by just moving the stick(s), if not, calibrate the remote.

P4 RC disassembly:
11:41
Most likely the screw-seats split or broke off and you have to use quality glue for the repair.
View attachment 123890

Thank you for the links and the insight. Just so you know, the disassembly link is for the Phantom 4 RC, but not the Pro PLUS RC. So there is a bit of a difference in the disassembly process. (I did find a video where he was disassembling the Pro PLUS RC)

Probably not the best advice since it involves a flyable aircraft.
I can picture a fixed wing mechanic telling a pilot that he used superglue to repair his controll stick that was a bit sloppy.
The parts to repair properly the hardware mentioned are readily available.

Of course not.

The mechanic would have used duct Tape instead.

Reactions: BigL
Had to replace/switch out sticks on different models for P4s. They’re all same. During calibration, if a stick doesn’t respond instantly to movement, use spray lube or replace. Should move smoothly from 1 to 10 all directions, if not, replace. I have spare remotes to swap from but have one ready to send to DJI (battery and sticks). They return a new referb one for about $100. Incl frt. Looks new with new battery in 2 weeks or less. Good luck.
Set up with DJI support

Thank you for the note. Much appreciated.

I opened up the RC and it looks like there is a mount that is supposed to have a retaining clip screwed in to it, but it appears that it has broken off.

If you look at the photos, I have taken a shot of the Left joystick gimbal (the left side joystick works fine) which shows a small semicircle "clamp" that is held in place by two screws. If you look at the right hand joystick (the one that flops around) you will notice that clamp is missing and the base underneath it appears to be damaged.

Oddly enough, there were no missing pieces inside the remote control unit. Also, I never heard any rattling around of any loose parts. I can't imagine that a part that size (about 4/4 of an inch long) would be able to fall out of the controller.

Any ideas how to fix or whether I can send it in to DJI and have them fix it for a reasonable amount of money? (It is out of warranty).

Attachments

• cracked-rc-1.jpg
    cracked-rc-1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
  • cracked-rc-2.jpg
    cracked-rc-2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
It looks pšretty odd. Seems that the plastic, where screws should hold the stick, broke off.
It must be pushed unintentionally the stick so hard that it broke. Or maybe you hit the RC to something.
I think that the best thing to do is get it to the DJI service. It should be a cheap repair.
With nowadays glues it will hold as well (maybe even stronger than the plastic holder) but you can have a problem calibrating the stick if it's not completely aligned.

Send it off to DJI. You will end up with a new controller.
The previous owner would probably be the one that removed the broken pieces.

Send it off to DJI. You will end up with a new controller.
The previous owner would probably be the one that removed the broken pieces.
But probably it is out of warranty and such things are not included into it. New RC is not so cheap.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic