January 23 2018

Shhhhh... it's a secret! o_O

Whatever it is from DJI, it will be overpriced as Marketing will make it sound better than it is and everyone will need to buy it. Plus, 40% of them won't work due to quality control issues right out of the box. Another 10% will have DOA batteries. DJI will then release an Alpha 2 update to address the issues that they overlooked in their early Alpha 1 testing and then 60% of them won't work. In six months, they'll give everyone a first release Beta software to try out which will take a year to finalize ... unless they move on to something else by then. Given the time involved, no external phones or tablets will connect up right either so it's time to buy something else that Marketing already has waiting behind the curtain.

:D

Wow that's a very large negative serve on DJI !

My experience is somewhat different however......Had my Phantom 3 Adv. for nearly 2 years flying on the original "as supplied" firmware and it just works ! ....Brilliantly, even despite 2 minor crashes.

It seems to me that one of the biggest mistakes people make is forever wanting to update firmware on a perfectly working aircraft and many having no idea of what they are doing. They then whinge and complain on these forums and expect DJI to provide endless support to solve their often self created issues!

I know DJI are not perfect, but then nor are Microsoft and Apple etc. etc.

Whatever it is from DJI, it will be overpriced as Marketing will make it sound better than it is and everyone will need to buy it. Plus, 40% of them won't work due to quality control issues right out of the box. Another 10% will have DOA batteries. DJI will then release an Alpha 2 update to address the issues that they overlooked in their early Alpha 1 testing and then 60% of them won't work. In six months, they'll give everyone a first release Beta software to try out which will take a year to finalize ... unless they move on to something else by then. Given the time involved, no external phones or tablets will connect up right either so it's time to buy something else that Marketing already has waiting behind the curtain.

:D
Amen

When DJI does a firmware update it’s suppose to make the ac or the controller do a better job for the customer or am I missing something spacetrakker or all of us dumb asses that do the firmware updates

As I said previously, none of the "high Tech" companies get it right all the time.I don't think many people fully appreciate the complexity of a modern drone loaded with multiple electronic subsystems just because they come in a small package! Remember that a device of this complexity and ability would have cost many many thousands of dollars a just few years ago.
DJI has been a leader developing affordable consumer class drone technology. But, they have limited resources like every other company and when you push the boundaries you can easily get it wrong sometimes. Add to that the huge mix of devices being used to run the control software in many differing environments by many inexperienced and often incompetent users, (just read some of the questions asked on these forums!) it is not hard to see why in the "real" world of developing technology there are so many real and "perceived" issues.

Maybe my 50 years in the Space and Computer industries give me an somewhat different viewpoint on the realities and difficulties of leading edge technology development.

Anyway, we are all entitled to our opinion, but if DJI is as really bad as they are being painted here why not switch and see if the grass is greener with another manufacturer?

Regards

I don't get it. All this hate. I done firmware updates all the time and never had a problem. If I do.. Its usually the latest app update if anything. Not a problem as I download an older APK from Google. No matter what Is being made, there is always a possibility of something to go wrong. NASA done lots of space trips, but not all goes to plan and there software and hardware is more advanced then the drones. Same with cars. Even mansions can have cracks out of no where. For me personally I have no issues with DJI

If DJI wanted to produce a phantom with 50mp, 10K, zoom lens, changeable lenses, waterproof, retractable legs, battery life 2 hours they could...but they won’t cause it’s about the mighty $$$$$ and we are all sheep who follow and want the next big thing, then the next then the next...that’s the way it is in this world...NOW bring on the phantom 5! [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Reactions: skiptv
Wow. What a bunch of Debbie Downers!
Sure DJI is FAR from perfect
Yes, they make all kinds of mistakes.
And yes their customer service sucks. Ok, BUT they have also practically invented the category of fantastic flying cameras that even a knuckledragger can operate.
I am totally with spacetracker. I have been doing this from the first Phantom and currently own 4 of there drones. I have crashed twice in 4 years. Once because of a mechanical flaw (they replaced my drone after looking at the flight records) and one because I was careless. I have never had a single issue with a firmware update other than a few bugs that are always associated with software updates because, that's how it works from Microsoft to Apple all the way down. Lastly, too expensive? Really? I guess if these are toys and/or a mindless past-time hobbies I could see the point, sure. So is a Harley or a camera or mountain bike, but if you are even mildly competent and try even a little you can make more than enough money to pay for a Phantom or at least offset the cost dramatically. I have paid for every one of my DJI drones within the first year of purchase without working very hard at it. Including the inspire 2 that I bought in June of last year (7 months ago) 10 jobs so far. 3 more jobs and I am whole. I’m telling if I can do that with an 8k drone package there’s no way you can’t do that with a $1,500 phantom. 1 job every other month for $200 and you're done. Anyway, I am sure that I have not made any friends with this post, but as for me, every time I see/fly one of these little flying miracles I can't imagine this level of dissatisfaction with the product and disdain for the company that makes them.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
Fly safely all!

I haven't had any major problems,but I did call DJI customer service once, and was a pleasant exchang, problem solved.

Wow that's a very large negative serve on DJI !

My experience is somewhat different however......Had my Phantom 3 Adv. for nearly 2 years flying on the original "as supplied" firmware and it just works ! ....Brilliantly, even despite 2 minor crashes.

It seems to me that one of the biggest mistakes people make is forever wanting to update firmware on a perfectly working aircraft and many having no idea of what they are doing. They then whinge and complain on these forums and expect DJI to provide endless support to solve their often self created issues!

I know DJI are not perfect, but then nor are Microsoft and Apple etc. etc.

I must completely agree with this. Particular with the firmware update. I'll never do it if the things are going well.

Now let me say something about the DJI products.
I have P3A for 3 years and P4P+ for 3 months and both of them works perfectly normal. Had 2 accidents with the first one both by my faults (at first it disconnected. As a beginner I didn't know, that RC just lost video signal, so I turned RC off and went home - LOL) After three days I finally managed to locate the AC according to data on my mobile dev. which of course was all the time there but I didn't know. I went to the location and it was there in upside down position in the grass. Those three days were pretty rainy. I dry it and it worked normally. The second situation was a classical pilot mistake. I flew into a tree and AC felt down to the ground and then rolled near 50 m down the rocks and bushes at 60% slope. When we found it next day, after a pretty difficult access over the rocks, the battery was out (3 m from the AC) and I saw only few minor scratches and a broken propeller. The camera had been working all the time during the fall. The video is pretty scary. At home I put the battery in, switched it up and it works! and is still working now with no issues. The second crash (the first one wasn't a crash) was done with the new P4P+. The drone was simply where by the operators opinion shouldn't be and hit the top of the only tree far around. The one leg of the drone was slightly bent and because of that the compass error turned out. As it was completely my fault I paid for the repair and DJI sent me the new one.
So this is my experience with DJI and it is pretty good.

Reactions: Neon Euc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic