Itelite dbs

Reaction score
Hey guys, new P3S pilot here. Does anyone have the itelite dbs mod on their controller and has it worked for you? I installed the mod i bought and i was really disappointed with it. I was losing video and controller signal at way less range then the stock anntena. The best distance i got was maybe 600 feet befor RTH. I put the stock components back in and tested it in the dark at a safe altitude to clear any obstacles and acheived 2000+ft befor landing. Could the itelite be deffective from the start? I had the cables connected where they were suppose to be and it just wasnt doing what others say it does. Anyone have any idea's to share or suggest?

I myself fly stock right out of the box with more then enough range 5300+ feet daily wish I had better video link power but to your question everything I read about that dibs is it's about the best thing for the money. If it was me I'd reinstall slowly paying close attention to what goes where then if it's the same I'd say defective and go for exchange also I believe those are extremely directional so be sure keep it pointing it at your bird good luck

Dino, I too recently purchased and installed the DBS Itelite mod for my PS3 and have been very impressed. I'm routinely getting out to 9,000 feet, whereas with the stock I was getting around 2,500 prior to RTH being initiated. Are you sure you have all the cables secured and flush on the internal mounts? It took me a while to clean them up for maximal contact and then a dab of hot glue was put on each to keep them from loosening.

TK

Reactions: dazzer
Before I had my p4 I had p3s with DBS. you will NOT be disappointed buddy. Well worth the money.

I was getting 6-7000 feet (uk) with dbs. Almost double standard remote antenna.

EDIT - I just checked my flight logs and (if I'm reading it right) my max distance was 7,625 meters (total flight distance of 13,335 meters) ...I WASN'T READING IT RIGHT... I was flying over the Potomac river from a rock island near the shoreline and may have had a partial obstruction with some trees along the shore. Perhaps can get more distance by taking my kayak out into the river to a rock island. Just have to figure out how to strap the case on to the kayak.

Last edited:
I just checked my flight logs and (if I'm reading it right) my max distance was 7,625 meters (total flight distance of 13,335 meters). I was flying over the Potomac river from a rock island near the shoreline and may have had a partial obstruction with some trees along the shore. Perhaps can get more distance by taking my kayak out into the river to a rock island. Just have to figure out how to strap the case on to the kayak.
Hey Brother the Potomac river is also my neck of the woods I'm on the Md. side if your reading your logs in the go app that's total distance flown on the flight from start to stop that had my nephew confused for a bit also. look at what's on your screen while your in flight that's what you want to see for distance.

Hey guys, new P3S pilot here. Does anyone have the itelite dbs mod on their controller and has it worked for you? I installed the mod i bought and i was really disappointed with it. I was losing video and controller signal at way less range then the stock anntena. The best distance i got was maybe 600 feet befor RTH. I put the stock components back in and tested it in the dark at a safe altitude to clear any obstacles and acheived 2000+ft befor landing. Could the itelite be deffective from the start? I had the cables connected where they were suppose to be and it just wasnt doing what others say it does. Anyone have any idea's to share or suggest?
I am using the DBS and its awesome I was using the Argtek and it was also very good but the DBS is better for sure. one thing to look at is the center pins on the cables some folks have had some issues with that center pin not being long enough to make a good connection the pin should be even or slight above the rim like in this picture. some are much lower if it isn't you can replace it with a new one or carefully file the rim down till the and rim are the same height but don't go any lower then the start of the threads. had to do this on the Argtek on my nephews drone now he can get out to 5K easily
20170913_213640.jpg

Hey Brother the Potomac river is also my neck of the woods I'm on the Md. side if your reading your logs in the go app that's total distance flown on the flight from start to stop that had my nephew confused for a bit also. look at what's on your screen while your in flight that's what you want to see for distance.

I am using the DBS and its awesome I was using the Argtek and it was also very good but the DBS is better for sure. one thing to look at is the center pins on the cables some folks have had some issues with that center pin not being long enough to make a good connection the pin should be even or slight above the rim like in this picture. some are much lower if it isn't you can replace it with a new one or carefully file the rim down till the and rim are the same height but don't go any lower then the start of the threads. had to do this on the Argtek on my nephews drone now he can get out to 5K easily
View attachment 88164
Distracted by the scenery on my screen, I didn't notice the range displayed. I'll have to pay more attention in my next range test. I'm still trying to make sense of the Dji go flight records. It indicates two numbers (in meters) as I stated. I do live and fly on the Maryland side of the river. I have to go upriver at least as far as Pennyfield lock to be outside of the NoFly Zone. My favorite spot close by is currently just down the towpath from Violettes Lock. It's a beautiful stretch with many islands and rapids. Now that I've seen it from above, I want to kayak around that section. Of course, the entire Maryland side is National parkland, but I'm feeling somewhat more legal flying from a rock island jutting out into the river. I really need some sort of rack on my kayak to put the drone on while I paddle out into the middle of the river with less obstruction.

Last edited:
Reactions: epicdoom
Just installed on my P3S, but I'm not as brave as you guys. I just wanted more fire power so I would feel safer at 600 feet! So far, so good. If anything, I think my video feed looks better. Was not as difficult to install as I had imagined.

Reactions: epicdoom
Distracted by the scenery on my screen, I didn't notice the range displayed. I'll have to pay more attention in my next range test. I'm still trying to make sense of the Dji go flight records. It indicates two numbers (in meters) as I stated. I do live and fly on the Maryland side of the river. I have to go upriver at least as far as Pennyfield lock to be outside of the NoFly Zone. My favorite spot close by is currently just down the towpath from Violettes Lock. It's a beautiful stretch with many islands and rapids. Now that I've seen it from above, I want to kayak around that section. Of course, the entire Maryland side is National parkland, but I'm feeling somewhat more legal flying from a rock island jutting out into the river. I really need some sort of rack on my kayak to put the drone on while I paddle out into the middle of the river with less obstruction.

OK, I played back my flight path and calculated the return path from the point I lost signal back to home as 1,442 meters. 3x further than without the itelite dbs, but probably not the max I could get from a more elevated, non-obstructive flight path.

OK, I played back my flight path and calculated the return path from the point I lost signal back to home as 1,442 meters. 3x further than without the itelite dbs, but probably not the max I could get from a more elevated, non-obstructive flight path.
that's good distance, converted to 4593 ft. I fly a lot on the eastern shore on property I have there have been out to 7K ft but the land is wide open swamp land, flat and very few trees. I haven't flown the Potomac yet its a beautiful river I do a lot of fishing on the river from up at the mouth of the Monocacy all the way down river to Matawoman creek. was always unsure of NFZ on the river so I just don't fly it. Local law enforcement and DNR may not be aware of zones I don't want to waste time fighting a fine in court.

Just installed on my P3S, but I'm not as brave as you guys. I just wanted more fire power so I would feel safer at 600 feet! So far, so good. If anything, I think my video feed looks better. Was not as difficult to install as I had imagined.
yep was pretty easy to install for me as well, but I work with electronics daily tuffest part was getting the silicone off they globbed it on my connectors heavy lol

Remember you can always change your app to display feet. Or multiply your meters by 3 and you'll be darn close.

Remember you can always change your app to display feet. Or multiply your meters by 3 and you'll be darn close.
I'm transitioning to the metric system as best I can, but still converting in my mind. Speaking spanish is next on the list!

that's good distance, converted to 4593 ft. I fly a lot on the eastern shore on property I have there have been out to 7K ft but the land is wide open swamp land, flat and very few trees. I haven't flown the Potomac yet its a beautiful river I do a lot of fishing on the river from up at the mouth of the Monocacy all the way down river to Matawoman creek. was always unsure of NFZ on the river so I just don't fly it. Local law enforcement and DNR may not be aware of zones I don't want to waste time fighting a fine in court.

There's no DNR around the C&O that I've seen. Rarely National Park Police on the towpath... occasionally at a Lockhouse parking lot. It's not legal to launch or fly over National Park land (as we all know). While I 'may' have done that previously, I'm trying to be as safe and legal as possible, hence flying from the river or banks of the river. On the river, the closest to DC outside of the NFZ is Pennyfield Lock, upriver from Great Falls. Any lock from there on up the river is a good starting point to park your car. Walk along the towpath until you see a river access point (little paths that lead off the towpath).

I check Google satellite imagery for interesting spots to fly over. Islands and rapids are more interesting than flat water, shore to shore.

There's no DNR around the C&O that I've seen. Rarely National Park Police on the towpath... occasionally at a Lockhouse parking lot. It's not legal to launch or fly over National Park land (as we all know). While I 'may' have done that previously, I'm trying to be as safe and legal as possible, hence flying from the river or banks of the river. On the river, the closest to DC outside of the NFZ is Pennyfield Lock, upriver from Great Falls. Any lock from there on up the river is a good starting point to park your car. Walk along the towpath until you see a river access point (little paths that lead off the towpath).

I check Google satellite imagery for interesting spots to fly over. Islands and rapids are more interesting than flat water, shore to shore.
I see them every now and then watching the river from they're vehicles for fishing violations and such. They tend to be more active from DC on south out on the river in Boats. They took a big hit years ago with a lot of offices closing so now you have maybe 1 officer taking care of huge areas Pretty sad actually. Maybe I'll pop online check out the NFZ areas Id absolutely love to get some pics of the Locks rapids and such.

I got about 820 meters yesterday on the river. I parked at Violette's Lock (the access road is hard to spot and has no sign, so use your nav). I walked downriver along the towpath until you see a retaining wall (maybe 1/2 mile). Ride a bike if you're in a hurry. Take the path next to the wall, walk along the foot path paralleling the river as you continue 100 yds or so to the various rock bridges that jut out into the river. Lots of flattish spots on the rocks and a clear view in all directions.

I own a phantom 3 standard and it's great with the dbs antenna. I boosted mine with three 4 watt amplifiers and it's great. I sometimes reach 15,000 feet out.

I own a phantom 3 standard and it's great with the dbs antenna. I boosted mine with three 4 watt amplifiers and it's great. I sometimes reach 15,000 feet out.
Hmm, amplifiers? Hadn't read about that mod. Where did you get them?

LarBear360 I understand your concern about the legality of my actions. I own a large price of land, that backs up to my parents land, that backs up to my aunt's land. I have a five molr stretch that I can fly with out leaving my family's property. So while I am out of line of sight I am only flying over a wooded area. The only risk I am taking is landing in a tree. There is no risk to do an damage an anyone's belongings or persons. I would never risk anyone or there property for my own ammusmemt. I do understnad your concern sir.

Reactions: LarBear360
I had considered the Boosted system I fly line of sight except when I'm on my land where I fly out to 7K to look at the deer on a dry island at one end of my swampy place. I tried getting permission from a neighbor to fly from his driveway as it would only be about 2k to the spot from there, he wont have any of it. I have no desire to fly past line of sight any other time I'm out however I an still considering going to a boosted set up to punch through the heavy WIFI in many of the areas I fly. for me having the best connection possible no matter if I'm 1 foot or 7k feet is the ultimate goal.

Reactions: 99taws6

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan