ITElite DBS antenna mod - Does it relay make any difference in rage?

Reaction score
I have installed the ITElite DBS antenna and I flew with the mod today, I use to get 1.5 Km distance at 71 Meters height with the factory omnidirectional DJI antennas.

I went the same route same height today but with the Itelite DBS and at the same point (as in the past with the factory antennas) at 1.5km my signal started braking up like it was doing with the factory antennas, then I climbed at 120M and got full signal, went up to 2.98Km eventualy with Itelite, when I lost signal all together at 2.98km and my Phantom 3 Advanced when into RtH mode.

My mod was flawless (I have an electronics engineering background and had all the right tools for the mod) and I used silver-plated shorter cables from the SMA connectors to the ITelite antenna.

I honestly hoped I would get more range as I was flying in a non-densely populated suburban area, is this ItElite DBS antenna not having any real effect?
I am not convinced (however DJI states that with the factory antennas the max range is 1.2miles and I did 2.8km = 1.8miles today)

Could it be the short silver plated cables that I used from Horizons, should I use the originals that come within the ITelite the box?

Could it be the fact that I was recording at 2.7k and the power consumption of Phantom's CPU was draining too much battery to let the bird’s transceiver to work at it peak power output and gain?

Could it be that there was signals degradation (attenuation) due to the fact that I was not on a hill or high ground but at sea level and there was small patches of trees along the route even though I was at 120 and up to 145m high clear and above the trees?

How is it that you guys get these ranges (4.8 or 5Km)?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-19-18-59-27_resized.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-19-18-59-27_resized.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 632
  • 2015-09-19 18.55.35_resized.jpg
    2015-09-19 18.55.35_resized.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 672
  • 20150918_020618_resized.jpg
    20150918_020618_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 760
Last edited:
If the cables are 50ohm you're fine.

What are the devices between the antennas and the cables?

Did you need to change genders or something?

If the cables are 50ohm you're fine.

What are the devices between the antennas and the cables?

Did you need to change genders or something?
They are gender adaptors that came from Horizons with the silver plated cables as these cables are not the right gender for the antenna. Horizon sells them like that and they sold me the antenna too

I'm having the same issues with distance on my DBS. No apparent increase in range or penetration.

But like I've said in other posts, it may just be my location (suburbia) and nothing is going to change that.

I'm having the same issues with distance on my DBS. No apparent increase in range or penetration.

But like I've said in other posts, it may just be my location (suburbia) and nothing is going to change that.
Can you give me an idea of the terrain and location you are flying in?

Can you give me an idea of the terrain and location you are flying in?

Huntsville, Alabama. Where I am it's mostly flat farmland with lots of trees mixed in with suburbia.

It's funny because I can almost 3 miles if I fly northeast of my house but any other direction and the signal craps out in a mile.

Huntsville, Alabama. Where I am it's mostly flat farmland with lots of trees mixed in with suburbia.

It's funny because I can almost 3 miles if I fly northeast of my house but any other direction and the signal craps out in a mile.
Sounds similar to my terain here in England in Newbury. I have to try another direction, if you get 3 miles in alternative directions then I should too.

It definitely made a difference for me, I am flying from my garden usually, I live in a terraced house near the end of a block so in 1 direction I have good LOS as there is a whole block of gardens(low fences), but on the other side there are houses blocking my view, and this side I don't get good distance. The key factor is getting LOS, the further you want to fly in a built up area the higher your going to need to be due to obstructions etc. Funnily enough before I used the DBS antenna the furthest I could get was the police station, now I can get to the end of the town!(I know this doesn't mean anything without actual distances but trust me it did make a difference) however I suspect the cheap windsurfer may have gave me enough gain that I need as well but I haven't tried it. At the end of the day my battery runs out way before my feed does now.

Reactions: Mr.Spock
OK I tried it with the original cables today I worked perfect 4km range and had full signal I just turned back cuz my heart was pounding in case I loose the bird!

Reactions: StumbleBee
I flew mine again yesterday in the narrow band of airspace NE of me where I can go 3 miles with the DBS before the signal crapped out.

This was the same distance I got using those DYI surf things on the stock antenna.

What a pisser.

I flew mine again yesterday in the narrow band of airspace NE of me where I can go 3 miles with the DBS before the signal crapped out.

This was the same distance I got using those DYI surf things on the stock antenna.

What a pisser.
The principle is thr same, directivity that's why. But still I like my itelite dbs

Hello everyone,

Just got my dbs antenna kit in this morning and upon opening the controller realized there is no 5.8ghz board with antenna connector like shown on the dbs webpage for install. Do I just connect the 2 new antenna leads to the main 2 that are only in there on the right side of the remote? Does the new remote have a built in antenna on the board for paired flight? Or is the new setup different or something and I need a difference antenna kit from dbs?

Thanks,
Mike

Photo attached of my antenna inside
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442803811.096749.jpg

Hello everyone,

Just got my dbs antenna kit in this morning and upon opening the controller realized there is no 5.8ghz board with antenna connector like shown on the dbs webpage for install. Do I just connect the 2 new antenna leads to the main 2 that are only in there on the right side of the remote? Does the new remote have a built in antenna on the board for paired flight? Or is the new setup different or something and I need a difference antenna kit from dbs?

Thanks,
Mike

View attachment 31342
You probably watched the install video for the p2v+. It's has a 5.8 ghz for the control. The p3 is a lightbridge system with 2 2.4 ghz antennas for the video and control . There should be a p3 install video on the dbs website. As long as you ordered the dbs itelite antenna for the p3. You should have only 2 ports on your itelite antenna. If you have 3 ports you have the wrong antenna.

Hello everyone,

Thanks,
Mike

View attachment 31342
And to answer your question yes it's all just plug and play . Be sure to run your new wires underneath the board so they cause problems with anything .

Hello everyone,

Thanks,
Mike

Just to be safe, I would not cut the wire off the stock antenna. I would just coil them up in the top cavity of the controller. This way you still can go back to the stock antenna if you need to.

Reactions: Mr.Spock
The principle is thr same, directivity that's why. But still I like my itelite dbs
Good to hear you were finally able to get some distance with your DBS.

I have to admit that I only got 3 miles in that slim NE direction by going up to 700 ft around the 8000 ft mark. There I said it. :(

Hello everyone,

Thanks,
Mike

View attachment 31342
There is only one video out there showing the Itelite DBS mode on Phantom 3 advanced and professional. If u r modifying any of these two there is no 5ghz antennas only two 2.4ghz ones that you need to conect as the video shows. The mkdificcation is very simple and u don't need to pass the cables underneath the joysticks but over them, the Itelite internal RC coaxial cables have enough tension to stay out of the way just try to see where they end up when u close the RC. No need to cross the cables inside the RC ether. I will attach the video here that someone else posted .

Just to be safe, I would not cut the wire off the stock antenna. I would just coil them up in the top cavity of the controller. This way you still can go back to the stock antenna if you need to.
Yes do not cut the stock antennas off or the cables just put some scotch tape on the micro sma connectors to avoid them shortcircuting anything inside the RC and no need to pull them away ether,just hide them underneath the board where they sit.

Reactions: phantom13flyer

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31