Issues With P3

Reaction score
Hi, I have had a p3 standard for a good few months and made some good footage with the 5 times or so I have flown it. But I have started to take it out more as my skills are coming along with flying it and just about being able to circle round objects and what not.

But today I stopped using the left stick while taking the p3 forward not at full speed and I have noticed a lot of the time the propellers are in the video while moving but my camera was fully up so this could be why? Wondering if anyone knows what causes this and does the camera have to be down a touch to not show the propellors when moving forwards.

Also today I have got a lot of wobbly footage when the drone was still and sometimes moving a lot more than normal.

The odd thing is my skills have got much better especially today but the footage has got worse anyone has any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum!

You have many questions. :)

I will start with yes it is very common to see the props in the camera.
There are gimbal settings and limits for the upward camera angles.

Any wobbling,
start with a gimbal calibration.

Rod

Last edited:
Reactions: djrikstar
Another thing you may see in your videos, if you are going toward the sun, I forget the term (Prop Shadow?), but it is the prop between the sun and the camera. The sun and the props may not be in the camera view, but the sun is hitting the camera lens, and the props are creating a high speed shadow, it makes it look a interference in the video.

Rod

@djrikstar,

Go to 02:25

Got more questions, we got answers..... ;)

Rod

Great video btw. Yes, I see what you mean mine was the same issue which I have not had before so I'm putting it down to that here is a video below of it I have cut out.

Also added in that wobbly part it does it quite often I'm guessing it could be outer factors like sun and wind for both issues??

The first 15 seconds is the propellers and the last 15 seconds is the wobbly video footage

Welcome to the forum!

You have many questions. :)

I will start with yes it is very common to see the props in the camera.
There are gimbal settings and limits for the upward camera angles.

Any wobbling,
start with a gimbal calibration.

Rod

Sorry you answered here never seen the first reply I will look into the gimbal settings Thanks Rod :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
The wobbly part shouldn't be anything to do with normal wind and or sun.

I kind been having this issue but haven't seem to spend enough time on it, you might search for jello effect.
Also grub screw.

Ok guys,
Give this guy some questions an answers!

Rod

Great video btw. Yes, I see what you mean mine was the same issue which I have not had before so I'm putting it down to that here is a video below of it I have cut out.

Also added in that wobbly part it does it quite often I'm guessing it could be outer factors like sun and wind for both issues??

The first 15 seconds is the propellers and the last 15 seconds is the wobbly video footage

I want to fly here!

You're going to get some props in the shot if your camera is set to allow for the tilt up +20 degrees, I think? Check your camera settings. Otherwise you should only see them during sudden starts or stops. You can always set your camera to point a little further down.

Not sure about the wobble.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
But today I stopped using the left stick while taking the p3 forward not at full speed and I have noticed a lot of the time the propellers are in the video while moving but my camera was fully up so this could be why? Wondering if anyone knows what causes this and does the camera have to be down a touch to not show the propellors when moving forwards.
The Phantom moves forward by tilting the front downwards.
To move faster, it tilts more.
If fighting against a headwind, even hovering it has to tilt.
If you are looking straight ahead and the Phantom is tilting enough, you can see the props.

I always convert my videos to 2.39 to 1 aspect ratio in Davinci Resolve, and sometimes I have to move the video y axis up and down to get rid of the props when they occasionally come in view. You will find as your skills progress you will actually get used to some of the problems like these and learn how to fly while keeping the props out of the shot. Also some editing and cropping will save your video if the props accidentally show up in the video. As for the jello, that is caused by the props being out of balance, or your yaw arm set screw being loose, or, which may be the case if the drone and props are newer, wind. Wind can shake the gimbal a bit. Just use Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro or (my personal favorite,) Davinci Resolve, to stabilize the footage. Hope that helps, and fly safe!

Thanks, guys appreciate it I did have the camera a but far up tbh as normally I have it slightly tilted down. Also yes will mess around with premiere pro (windows guy :p )and Davinci Resolve to help lessen the jello effect.

For certain shots, people recommend going backwards (AC will pitch toward the rear, so props won't be in the camera FOV, at least in normal conditions) and then reverse the video in post-production. For example, if you want a shot where you're starting from a distance and quickly closing in on a subject, it might be better to start close to the subject and move away at full speed, then reverse the video.

I always convert my videos to 2.39 to 1 aspect ratio in Davinci Resolve, and sometimes I have to move the video y axis up and down to get rid of the props when they occasionally come in view. You will find as your skills progress you will actually get used to some of the problems like these and learn how to fly while keeping the props out of the shot. Also some editing and cropping will save your video if the props accidentally show up in the video. As for the jello, that is caused by the props being out of balance, or your yaw arm set screw being loose, or, which may be the case if the drone and props are newer, wind. Wind can shake the gimbal a bit. Just use Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro or (my personal favorite,) Davinci Resolve, to stabilize the footage. Hope that helps, and fly safe!
The nice thing about the P3 is it will record in 2.7K which, if cropped just slightly to remove those props, would look just fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94