Is your P4 firmware update GOOD? Post here please!

I cant stress this enough for all you can do avoid the update i was avoiding for the longest until this weekend i updated it just so it could stop bugging me about the update witch has been my biggest mistake, my drone would not connect correctly it will disconnect all the time, my screen had no view at all as if something was blocking 75% of the camera and all you can see is the 25% remaining on your screen. Well the worst part of it is i flew it about 15ft high and just let it sit there for a couple of minutes hoping the screen would clear up be able to see what my drone sees again, it wasn't long before it disconnected and fell from the air hitting the floor damaging the shell (the drone still fly's), with the damaged shell it makes my drone very unstable in air and i personally don't feel like its safe for anyone in the air specially if it still ain't connecting correctly.

I had initial trouble when the install on P4 stalled at 99%. However in the threads I discovered that the new software for the controller should be done first. I did it backwards but everything works fine now. I am satisfied so far.

... my screen had no view at all as if something was blocking 75% of the camera and all you can see is the 25% remaining on your screen....

That particular problem is usually an app issue and can be resolved by deleting and reinstalling the app...

Is this update for GO 4 app, RC or drone?
What is the latest version # in updates now for the drone, app and RC?

Hi fellow Dronesters. Did the firmware upgrade for controller and P4 yesterday and have noticed the following:- Very strong winds here in Perth today and P4 was very stable. Only did a short test, varied height from 1.5mtrs feet to about 30 mtrs, distance about 300 mtrs and stability was excellent. Stopping distance seems to have changed, could have been the strong wind, also the flight controls are more sensitive. Will go back to my original settings later today. One problem, my Nexus II rebooted midway during a RTH. Never did happen before. So, all in all, no issues found with stability or loss of video. Not conclusive as yet, have to test on a less windy day. And another thing, in case some of these problems are caused by the controller, my controller is a GL300C.

I seem to be one of the luckier ones, myself.
Did the update a couple of days ago (RC first, then the bird) using just the latest DJI4 go app on the iPhone--so no DJ Asst was used. Did the new IMU calibration followed by a Gimbel calib. Had to let it sit a few days (for some surgery) but took a short couple of test flights today with no trouble really other than spurious wind warnings which only popped up as I switched into sport mode. Hovering was stable and no twitches seen. Had a brief loss and quick resumption of signal about a 1000' out at 400' AGL. Winds from UAV Forecast app were reported as 16mph at 400' and were about 5-10mph down at 10-50' AGL where I was checking for stability and twitch.

My P4 is also unstable after the firmware update. It's immediately apparent from the noise after takeoff that the prop speeds are surging and that something is different. I updated the craft via Assistant 2, then refreshed for a second battery. I updated the rc via android device, then performed all calibrations (VPS, IMU, gimbal, sticks, and compass). After my first two flights were shaky, I repeated the entire process, and this time I restored factory defaults within Assistant 2. After repeating the process, I have the same result - the bird flies, and hasn't yet crashed, but it's jerky, and the shakes and bucks DO show up in the recorded video (I've also experienced the camera stop recording mid-flight). I'm using an android device (LG GPAD X 8.0) running v7.1 Nougat, and like everybody else, flight stability before the update was excellent. I also did some tests with Litchi using VR, and the results were worse (in addition to occasional jerks, also developed 10sec video lag and lost control of gimbal), but if the ac firmware is wonky then it's no surprise that Litchi also has issues. I would definitely suggest NOT installing the firmware, too big of a gamble.

C'mon DJI, Admit you got it wrong, Give us an option to roll back! Make the previous version of AC firmware available, this has gone on for days. There has been no response on the DJI forum either.

Reactions: Bckmstr
It seems pretty clear to me that, even though this update works well for quite a few people, an awful lot of people are experiencing really bad issues with it!
Even allowing for the fact that pilots are probably much more likely to report problems than good results, the balance still seems to favour the former!

So, why no response from DJI? Has anyone seen a note anywhere saying that they recognise that there is a problem, or asking for patience whilst they investigate the issues? I thought that, nowadays, manufacturers recognised the value of communicating with their customers. Clearly DJI do not. From my short history with DJI products I know that this is not the first time either - various catastrophic Go updates for example. Still, at least you could roll those back. The other point to make, in fairness to them, is that they do seem to get it right in the end.

I also wonder what the legal situation is. Customer buys product (contract) on the basis of manufacturers description. Manufacturer instructs customer to change design of product to new specification. Product no longer does what it is suposed to......

Wake up please DJI, and get you comms. working as well as your firmware! Pun intended.

Followed the onscreen instructions for the update to the letter to avoid the problems I read about on the forums. No problems during the downloading and install of the update. First flight afterwards my AC seemed to climb during hover. Might need to calibrate. But I get a lot of wind warnings at altitude as well as during auto takeoff. And I keep getting something about centering the controlers or something. The warning just flashes on the screen?

I have the same problems after updating with the low motorsound when starting up, and then it wobbles and jerks when flying! So i had a call with dji a few minutes back, they know of the problem and are trying to get a new firmware update out, in the mean time they provided a hotfix that works most time, and otherwise we have to wait or send it back if i wanted to, the fix is: REMOVE sd card! Then update refresh thru dji assistant 2, then do the calibrations, and then test it to fly, but STILL WITHOUT the sd card! If it works good, you can put sd card back in and fly like normal.
I did it yesterday but without removing the sd card (didnt know it matters) so i will test i later today and let ya know

No Issues/Errors During/After Update.

Did some flight test yesterday (3 Batteries). Smooth Flight, No Gimbal Issues, No Mid-Air System Shut Off, etc...

BTW, Only one Firmware/APP BUG. Instead of IMU Warming Up during start up, it shows IMU ERROR - Calibrate IMU. NO Big Deal, after a few secs, Good to Fly.

What's the best order for updates? Bird, controller, app I heard that you have to do in certain order.

Everything seems OK, I get an occasional warning and occasional error. But it still flies. No crashes in 73 flights....knock on wood

the fix is: REMOVE sd card! Then update refresh thru dji assistant 2, then do the calibrations, and then test it to fly, but STILL WITHOUT the sd card! If it works good, you can put sd card back in and fly like normal.
I did it yesterday but without removing the sd card (didnt know it matters) so i will test i later today and let ya know
Any results yet?

I have the same problems after updating with the low motorsound when starting up, and then it wobbles and jerks when flying! So i had a call with dji a few minutes back, they know of the problem and are trying to get a new firmware update out, in the mean time they provided a hotfix that works most time, and otherwise we have to wait or send it back if i wanted to, the fix is: REMOVE sd card! Then update refresh thru dji assistant 2, then do the calibrations, and then test it to fly, but STILL WITHOUT the sd card! If it works good, you can put sd card back in and fly like normal.
Believe it or not. I did everything without SD card. Excellent idea. After trying everything I did exactly what you told us and all of my problems are gone. Shaking no more, lots of wind speed warnings gone and the craft is flying smooth again. Thanks.

Reactions: paulphantom
What's the best order for updates? Bird, controller, app I heard that you have to do in certain order.

I broke down and did it today, since I really want a non-tilted horizon. The correct order (at least the way I successfully did it) is App, Controller (connected to current app), and then Bird (connected to DJI Assistant 2. I had to relink the controller after everything was upgraded and I also took the new recommendation of formatting the SD card and then removing it before upgrading the bird.

I also had my first test flight without the SD card afterwards, and it flew flawlessly. I will get another flight or two in this weekend, but so far I'm looking good and can relax a bit without any flying issues (beyond bogus wind warnings).

Reactions: paulphantom
Looks like a dozen or so pilots with no problems at all, but also a lot of stability comments. I wonder what the good results have in common - especially as all the hardware and software now has the same update status?

I think the wind warning issue has been quoted quite often in other threads too, and also failing to complete at 99%.

Thanks all - please keep reporting.

I got a high wind warning yesterday. There was a bit of wind. I also got one tonight with a 4mph breeze. Sum Ting Wong.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4