Is there any alternative to a phantom??

Reaction score
I am in two minds of to get another brand drone because of my experience yesterday my phantom vision plus v3 fell out the sky like Arnold Schwarzenegger when he was in terminator. All four motors just stop in mid flight while I was hovering around 40ft which I don't understand because I had battery power all firmware been up to date I've done the calibration. I only had it around three months so it's not even that old, I own a vision previously before this one which was ok to be honest since I had this one I've had problems with getting gps signal had to upgrade the antenna and buy a gps booster, I only upgraded to the plus because of the gimbal which is now all bent up the phantom casing is also damage and crack and the main controller board one of the flight controller connection is broken. It's looking roughly around £450-£500 to get it back to full working order (including new camera) which is pointless tbh so am thinking to sell everything off as spare and repair and save up and get a phantom 3 or if anyone know of any other good make drone around that price mark. I really like phantoms just that they give random problems at times and it's hard to see your money falling out the sky when you don't even know what caused it in the first place and would hate to get a next one and have the same experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can understand your frustration, but I think you are asking the wrong people here. Even if a person here was to suggest a different brand, chances are that suggestion would be pretty useless unless the person also had a lot of experience flying that brand. To do the proper research, you will have to dig deep into the other brand's forums and see if owners are posting about problems they are experiencing with their drone model. Chances are, they will be. Because this is a new technology, I think all brands and models have their own sets of issues. If your P2V+v3 fell out of the sky and is under warranty, behind the scenes DJI might possibly be aware of an electrical problem and replace it for you for free. You should at least contact them about it. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what GoPro will offer soon in the drone market. I have a lot of faith in that company and the quality they put out.

That's so true you have a very solid point, I've been researching and I think I might go with the phantom 3. I have contacted them and they told me to contact the supplier which I'm gonna do tomorrow. Yeah I think that as well the quality on go pro is always superb, I will see what they going to say tomorrow hopefully they repair it for free

Some current alternatives are: Yuneec Q500+ and 3DR Solo. GoPro drone next year ;) .
Yeah I was looking on the yuneec they seem ok I'm gonna try and get a demo test when I go to the hobby shop but if go pro is coming out next year I think I might hold off till then [emoji3]

I talked yesterday to one DJI authorized dealer that's dropping DJI. They're going to be selling the 3DR drones. I watched a few YouTube videos on the Solo last night and was impressed with what they said it does.

I'll give it a year or two for the bugs to be worked out, and then consider it.

It the Solo is everything they claim it is, DJI is going to have to improve a lot of things.

I talked yesterday to one DJI authorized dealer that's dropping DJI. They're going to be selling the 3DR drones. I watched a few YouTube videos on the Solo last night and was impressed with what they said it does.

It the Solo is everything they claim it is, DJI is going to have to improve a lot of things.
Do the admins of this and the Inspire forum also have a 3DR forum? I prefer to avoid that RCgroups site.

I really dislike how poor the customer service is at DJI and am curious to learn more about the 3DR

Sent from my phone

I know only thing is it's about pricey but it seems like a very good drone with all those features. Am just waiting on the dealer by me to get one in stock so they can do a demo but I really like what I've seen on YouTube so far

Ya I would build my own or 3dr or wait and see what gopro got for this part of the game it's not going to be easy a lot people fighting but all seem to follow inspire

I would wait tho I know it's hard lol but wait and it might pay off if not you got more time to make your pick and took time to look into it

Find a bird you like
Find pro and cons and videos search what interest you and what you looking for in a drone
Then once you find the one you want start your hunt on cheap prices and shipping cost and how long it will take return policy very important

Then have fun

Rcfanatics, it's pricey unless it's more reliable than the DJI products, and unless 3DR gives better customer service. (Not hard to do). $1000 isn't a bargain if it falls out of the sky and breaks into pieces because an ESC wasn't up to the task, or some 23 gauge wires melted.

Ya I would build my own or 3dr or wait and see what gopro got for this part of the game it's not going to be easy a lot people fighting but all seem to follow inspire

I would wait tho I know it's hard lol but wait and it might pay off if not you got more time to make your pick and took time to look into it

Find a bird you like
Find pro and cons and videos search what interest you and what you looking for in a drone
Then once you find the one you want start your hunt on cheap prices and shipping cost and how long it will take return policy very important

Then have fun

Ok cheers for the advice I'm gonna try and hold out even though it's gonna be hard [emoji85][emoji1] I do like the 3dr and what it is to offer and I do like the p3 but I see what's gonna come on the market upcoming months

From what I can tell so far about the 3DR, they are not aiming it at the prosumer but instead the "average joe" who is afraid to buy a drone because they don't know what they are doing.

This concerns me a bit, I would rather buy something better than DJI.

I'm also concerned about their API, if it exists? For example, in the DJI world we have great apps like Litchi which add POI and Follow me to P2V+, would similar apps be developed in the 3DR space?

Competition is good. DJI certainly needs to wake up and start delivering some resemblance of customer service.

Reactions: rcfanatics
I think I saw some other brands already have POI, Follow Me, and other desired capabilities without having to purchase add-on apps.

The 3DR Solo already has Follow Me built in. POI, too. I've read that 3DR's POI is better.

A couple of interesting things about the Solo. If you buy it and don't like it, you can return it for a full no-questions-asked refund in the first 30 days. Also, if you have a flyaway, they'll replace the Solo at no cost. They want to get the flight recording so they can find out what the problem was.

Reactions: rcfanatics

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31