Is there any alternative to a phantom??

I'm sure it is, Meta4. The one thing I don't like it is that the ESC's and the GPS units and circuitry and the WiFi and everything else is all one board. If one component fails, it's $500 to replace the whole board. Plus, what I've been told is that the P3 is sealed so that it can only be opened by an authorized service center or the factory (or there's a special tool needed), and that opening it voids the warranty.

I've been target shooting since 1963. The gun industry bends waaaayyyy over backwards to keep customers happy. In 1998 I bought a Kimber Stainless Gold Match, Kimber's top of the line pistol, for $1100. Four years later--long after the warranty expired, I shot a buddy's $300 AMT Hardballer, and thought it had a better trigger. I called Kimber to tell them this, and they told me to send it to them. They did a trigger job for free two or more years after the warranty expired. Other manufacturers I've dealt with have sent replacement parts at no cost. The manufacturers know that they need to keep customers satisfied, because there's so much competition for those customers.

From what I've read and heard, it seems like DJI has behaved as if they had a near-monopoly on all this. 3DR is making the Solo modular, so that aftermarket parts and software can be fitted. They seem to be aware of DJI's failings, and are marketing to those. If the Solo is a good product, DJI will either change or lose a big chunk of market share.

Inspire?

The 3DR Solo already has Follow Me built in. POI, too. I've read that 3DR's POI is better.

A couple of interesting things about the Solo. If you buy it and don't like it, you can return it for a full no-questions-asked refund in the first 30 days. Also, if you have a flyaway, they'll replace the Solo at no cost. They want to get the flight recording so they can find out what the problem was.
I agree just the fact is something happens and it's not you that caused it they replace it and even the camera now we are talking something dji will never do oh and one more thing looks like it can do what inspire can do just cost less a lot less it's at same price as p2vp and they sell at best buy I think they got a great plan on making it easy for anyone to buy it at a store like dji need to put stuff in best buy like big departments they sell inspire and vision at Las Vegas in a hotel shop but with a nice price hike lol inspire is like 4,000$ standard no extra anything

I think I'll buy a 3dr in few weeks and give it a try might just keep it and sell my p2vp I have no issue with it just want a lil more you know dji in my option is following apple and juice customer and they add little **** and give it a release vision plus 2.0 then 3.0
Now p3v 4k cam and indoor flight come on indoor flight should have bin done in p2 not p3

Same with apple iphone it took apple iPhone 3GS to put flash on camera when at the time all phones had flash lol I don't like apple and the way they rip customers off I see dji doing same price is high lets be real other people can buy same parts and have same flight for sell way less but we all fall for the **** every time just had to let this out lol

The best option would be to step up to the Phantom 3. Its a huge improvement beyond the P2 series.

I agree with you as well it is huge improvement but could they have given more and given something more like inspire or something new that no one has change the body something more you know I feel like maybe some stuff from inspire could have bin done or make those mods that you find online to fix issues like gimbal gard stuff like that could have bin fixed but they over look all those issues and that's because it would cost them money we break gimbal or camera it will cost more than half of the new plane lol

I agree with you as well it is huge improvement but could they have given more and given something more like inspire. .. I feel like maybe some stuff from inspire could have bin done
The P3 is already a lot like the Inspire. It's really an Inspire in a compact Phantom form.
All of the flight controller and Lightbridge as well as the camera and app are the same as used in the Inspire.

or make those mods that you find online to fix issues like gimbal gard stuff like that could have bin fixed but they over look all those issues and that's because it would cost them money we break gimbal or camera it will cost more than half of the new plane
To work properly the gimbal must be very light which means it is fragile.
This isn't a DJI thing, all aerial camera gimbals are like this.
They have to be treated carefully but if you don't crash your Phantom, your gimbal should work just fine.

I talked yesterday to one DJI authorized dealer that's dropping DJI. They're going to be selling the 3DR drones. I watched a few YouTube videos on the Solo last night and was impressed with what they said it does.

I'll give it a year or two for the bugs to be worked out, and then consider it.
It the Solo is everything they claim it is, DJI is going to have to improve a lot of things.
3DR is going to have to lift their game if they want to compete with DJI.
Look into comments from Solo users to see what they think of their quads so far.
They have been good at marketing in a way that attracts some buyers but that's just fluff if they can't come up with the goods.
So far they still haven't been able to deliver a camera gimbal!

3DR is going to have to lift their game if they want to compete with DJI.
Look into comments from Solo users to see what they think of their quads so far.
They have been good at marketing in a way that attracts some buyers but that's just fluff if they can't come up with the goods.
So far they still haven't been able to deliver a camera gimbal!
That what I have notice which is why I've decided to get a p3 because by the time you buy the 3dr then gimbal and then a decent camera the price ain't far from an inspire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That what I have notice which is why I've decided to get a p3 because by the time you buy the 3dr then gimbal and then a decent camera the price ain't far from an inspire

Inspire is $2900 using b&h as an example.

3dr is $1000, gimbal for gopro 4 is $400, gopro $500. So unless $1000 is close, P3 is the best bargain. I'm not terrible familiar with either but the open nature of 3dr adds a bit. Being on market already adds some for P3 and Inspire. If their customer service is any good, that would sweeten the pot.

I just got my first and will see how it goes. If I have a failure that wasn't stupidity on my part (highly possible) I might try theirs out next. Until then, what I have already exceeds my skills (flying) and my needs (photo/video).

Last edited:
Inspire is $2900 using b&h as an example.

3dr is $1000, gimbal for gopro 4 is $400, gopro $500. So unless $1000 is close, P3 is the best bargain. I'm not terrible familiar with either but the open nature of 3dr adds a bit. Being on market already adds some for P3 and Inspire. If their customer service is any good, that would sweeten the pot.

I just got my first and will see how it goes. If I have a failure that wasn't stupidity on my part (highly possible) I might try theirs out next. Until then, what I have already exceeds my skills (flying) and my needs (photo/video).
Yeah p3 is the best bargain I'm gonna order one next week and see how that goes and I like the fact with the p3 you are able to change shutter speed, ISO setting etc.

Hey People...
Only for the record... and for those who dont know this.

Collin Guinn (3dR Solo project lider) was the DJI's CEO 2 years... Phantoms are most sold Quads because that man campaings, videos and sales strategies.
Now he commands Solo Development and had improved all the DJI's features and corrected also the Phantom's failures and missing features.

https://www.google.com.co/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=colin+guinn+dji

Only thing I dispute is the claim that he influenced the Phantom. This is his disputed claim. I'm not saying it's incorrect, only that it's disputed. He's not exactly the most trust worthy person out there.

Hey People...

Collin Guinn (3dR Solo project lider) was the DJI's CEO 2 years... Phantoms are most sold Quads because that man campaings, videos and sales strategies.
Now he commands Solo Development and had improved all the DJI's features and corrected also the Phantom's failures and missing features.

Colin is also a salesman. So what he says is not always reality. Likeable guy though. Not everything he talked about has surfaced in the release version of the Solo.

I own a P3P and Solo both. The Solo is behind in features when it comes to the App. I prefer the P3 app much more.

The Solo is hard to evaluate at this point because there is no gimbal. Only fixed mount. So besides crappy video, no camera control beyond what you setup on the ground its just hard to fly as the camera is pointing at the ground when you are at speed. The gimbal is a month away and I look forward to getting is as its impossible to get a feel for Solo as it sits.

As everyone knows DJI support sucks. 3DR is the opposite. I had a failed update on my Solo yesterday from possible a bad flash card. Really don't know at this point but 3DR is sending me a new one next day air at no cost and issuing a RMA for the old. How many of you have got a next day air replacement from DJI?

The P3 is a blast and a HUGE step up from my P2V+. There are a lot of things I like about it over the Solo.

The P3 will out fly the Solo for distance and is a great easy to use cruising rig.

The Solo should be much more cinematic as they have worked hard with cable cam, orbit and selfie modes. Right now its all just a promise as it does function from a point A to point B standpoint however without gimbal the video is unusable.

So really it comes down to what are YOUR needs.

Oh, the solo flies 55mph. I have had it to 72 !

Reactions: ctrlbrk
Hey People...

Collin Guinn (3dR Solo project lider) was the DJI's CEO 2 years... Phantoms are most sold Quads because that man campaings, videos and sales strategies

This can be confusing to say Colin was DJI CEO.
DJI started a North American Distribution Business (not even exclusive, according to DJI) and Colin was a minority shareholder in it.

Colin did a lot of the USA marketing, trade shows, videos, etc - in other words, he was/is a sales and marketing guy. He has little to do with any engineering, code, design nor the long term success or failure of DJI.
DJI sells worldwide and of course the US is important, but we'd all be buying Phantoms with or without him - as sales have probably tripled or more since he left.

The OP question - The only real alternatives to the Phantom in the fully RTF video quad world ($900-$1500) are the Blade and Yuneec models in that they are in the same price range, ready to fly and have gimbals/cameras.

@Monkeyleg Where to find the info about the 30 days simply return policy?
Souds highly interesting, like the copter's specs themselves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1