Is the Litchi App really worth $20?

Bought it mainly for the VR capability. Going to use it with a GearVR and an unsupported phone (works with Google Cardboard) when my P3S shows up.

Reactions: jointeffort
Any Android users have any problems with Litchi crashing?
No, but if you want information from us to possibly help you we would need your details hardware/software versions etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

As an IOS user and a recent Litchi purchaser I can say that Litchi is very nice and makes what is really fairly complex relatively easy. Furthermore, when I had a question, I think they must have been reading my mind because the response was in my mailbox almost before I hit send!! :):) Now that is great support! It will be nice when they catch up the IOS version to the Android version.

In my case, $15 is reasonable.

Reactions: jointeffort and JBG
I downloaded and tried Litchi on Android for the first time yesterday. I did it crash once early on my S5, but it was while the bird was on the ground trying to connect and it fired up again without any issues. The waypoints worked very well, but I had some issues with manual flight. I was flying straight out over a field, then tried to turn. The FPV didn't show it doing anything, unfortunately. Then, 30 seconds later, I saw the turn happen on screen. For whatever reason, even with the lowest stream quality selected, there was over 30 seconds of delay between controlling the bird and the video stream updating, although the telemetry updated more quickly. I contacted their support line, and they mentioned that I might need to manually force stop the DJI Go app as it could also be trying to connect to the Phantom and causing interference. It seems strange that this would be necessary since the DJI Go app is still necessary to maintain for setting up certain parameters (e.g., RTH requirements) and I would have thought that Litchi would be coded to happily coexist, but it seems that there are potential issues. If I get that straightened out, though, I'll be a happy camper.

Reactions: mcphipps
I downloaded and tried Litchi on Android for the first time yesterday. I did it crash once early on my S5, but it was while the bird was on the ground trying to connect and it fired up again without any issues. The waypoints worked very well, but I had some issues with manual flight. I was flying straight out over a field, then tried to turn. The FPV didn't show it doing anything, unfortunately. Then, 30 seconds later, I saw the turn happen on screen. For whatever reason, even with the lowest stream quality selected, there was over 30 seconds of delay between controlling the bird and the video stream updating, although the telemetry updated more quickly. I contacted their support line, and they mentioned that I might need to manually force stop the DJI Go app as it could also be trying to connect to the Phantom and causing interference. It seems strange that this would be necessary since the DJI Go app is still necessary to maintain for setting up certain parameters (e.g., RTH requirements) and I would have thought that Litchi would be coded to happily coexist, but it seems that there are potential issues. If I get that straightened out, though, I'll be a happy camper.

This is where I don't like it. To set up the bird with certain parameter with the GO app before you run the Litchi app. That's what bothers me. Now I need to run two apps. Not good. They should code the program to do everything you need it to do from their app. So this is just an ADD-ON to the GO app?
Think I will wait this one out. See if they can really create an app to replace the GO app. Apparently they have not.

Am I wrong here. Am I missing something?

I don't think you're missing anything. However, I'm finding the ground station capability for planning flights and autonomous flight to be worth the price of admission. I ran a flight with 88 waypoints today and it ran flawlessly. I only used the controller to start and stop the recording. Overall, I'm impressed as it opens a new world of capabilities, and I didn't encounter any app hiccups or lag today. Even better, the signals remained strong the whole time, whereas they normally would have dropped out with the Go app.

This is where I don't like it. To set up the bird with certain parameter with the GO app before you run the Litchi app. That's what bothers me. Now I need to run two apps. Not good. They should code the program to do everything you need it to do from their app. So this is just an ADD-ON to the GO app?
Think I will wait this one out. See if they can really create an app to replace the GO app. Apparently they have not.

Am I wrong here. Am I missing something?

Generally Litchi is required to use some go app parameters because not all DJI Go app parameter software is available to 3rd party programers. At least in my understanding.

I dont have any issue with setting the camera parameters in Go app then closing it and using Litchi. Full preselection and automation of a mission and certain execution regardless of signal, range, etc. is higher priority than setting camera iso, shutter speed,etc.
Others may have different requirements.

Reactions: jointeffort and JBG
Here's a proof of concept video that I captured yesterday. As mentioned previously, there were 88 waypoints (I had wanted to confirm for myself that it didn't have the 15 waypoint limit of the Go app). I had walked the route in the fall last year with a "My Tracks" GPS tracking app logging the route. I exported the tracking information from there, adjusted it a bit, and imported it into the Litchi mission hub web applet via .csv file. I feel that it worked quite well overall. I might run the same route in the summer when things aren't so desolate looking...

Using Litchi is a no brainer for several reasons all of which have been already mentioned, if you don't think it's worth the $20 you're missing out.

Pretty much the only App I use any more to fly with.

Do the Litchi app have a recent increase in price? In my currency, it's about 30$ now :eek: Is it 30$ also for you US people?

Do the Litchi app have a recent increase in price? In my currency, it's about 30$ now :eek: Is it 30$ also for you US people?
Yes, they now include the focus function in the base app and added tracking, which resulted in a price increase.

After losing signal with one flight, came to realize that it needs to be in contact with controller to do proper POI. Although still flies the route.

The $20 Litchi app is was the tipping point for me to purchase a P3A. I had been debating upgrading from my old FC40 for some time but when I saw the waypoint features and ability to plan a flight on the PC before leaving the house etc... DJI waypoints are pretty lame, I understand it's "safer" because you are basically pre-flying the mission and avoiding obstacles and altitudes that you may miss otherwise....
I don't think I have ever seen a post where a Litchi user regretted their $20 purchase or didn't feel they got their moneys worth. For many of us, these things are $800+ "toys" so a $20 add-on to make it more enjoyable is a no-brainer.
Plus, purchasing these 3rd party apps encourage developers to continue to develop and give us more features dji doesn't offer. Litchi has already added "Track" feature to the app for free since I originally purchased (more value).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj