Is my letter dropping device legal?

Reaction score
So me never being able to leave a gadget alone designed, coded, and built a letter delivering device for my drone. Basically it is velcro mounted on the back of the landing gear and when plugged in it starts an automated timer. After 1 minute it sounds an alarm and starts a countdown. 10 seconds later a servo releases a letter suspended by a rubber band that shoots off. The letter falls harmlessly to the ground. I haven’t flown with it yet but it preforms perfectly. I live in a more rural area, so my plan was to have some fun and fly over the woods to a friends house like a 1500$ Phantom 3 Professional carrier pigeon. Is this device legal? Note that I won’t be flying over urban areas with it and will simply be flying over woods to a friends house for fun. Enlighten me with your answers fellow pilots!
-Ralphel21

IMG_1528164329.896376.jpg
IMG_1528164338.209394.jpg

Dropping items from an aircraft isn't in and of itself 'illegal' as long as the action doesn't endanger others. Dropping a piece of paper wouldn't appear to be terribly hazardous. As long as the hardware was properly secured and didn't adversely affect the flight, shouldn't be a problem. Secondary issue might bet the 'flying over the woods to the friend's house'. You're still required to maintain visual line of sight.

Dropping items from an aircraft isn't in and of itself 'illegal' as long as the action doesn't endanger others. Dropping a piece of paper wouldn't appear to be terribly hazardous. As long as the hardware was properly secured and didn't adversely affect the flight, shouldn't be a problem. Secondary issue might bet the 'flying over the woods to the friend's house'. You're still required to maintain visual line of sight.

Thanks for the insight! To maintain VFR I usually fly to 400 feet and fly the 1/4 mile to his house

According to the FAA:
You can carry an external load if it is securely attached and does not adversely affect the flight characteristics or controllability of the aircraft. You also may transport property for compensation or hire within state boundaries provided the drone – including its attached systems, payload and cargo – weighs less than 55 pounds total and you obey the other flight rules. (Some exceptions apply to Hawaii and the District of Columbia. These are spelled out in Part 107.)

Sec. 91.15 — Dropping objects.
No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

I don't see your letter being a hazard, maybe a paper cut LOL

Why the **** would you want to…… What’s wrong with your pigeon LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ralphel21
WOW.....that added weight and wind drag and a flight back against the wind.....sure might cause the loss of a $1500.00 Drone and No joy looking for it in the ^^^^^tops^^ of ^ trees.....To me its a Not Very Smart Thing to do.......Have some fun doing something else like playing Chinese checkers !

Plus all them wires and solenoid will really screw UP the flight electronics BIG Time !
Your asking for a Big Loss of a high priced Drone Honest !

Last edited:
Reactions: ralphel21
I know you didn't build this, but would be way easier and you could drop the letter/item whenever you wanted instead of after a set time limit. Also, I really like this uses the arm lights of the drones to trigger the mechanism, so your distance isn't limited. As long as you can control the drone, you can trigger the drop.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I know you didn't build this, but would be way easier and you could drop the letter/item whenever you wanted instead of after a set time limit. Also, I really like this uses the arm lights of the drones to trigger the mechanism, so your distance isn't limited. As long as you can control the drone, you can trigger the drop.

Or look up the FliFli on amazon. It's pretty good IMO.

It is odd that people are addressing the question of this being legal with the FAA. If you really want to do that, you might want to consider the the OP is flying beyond VLOS. If the FAA really did look into this matter, dropping something is not the OP's only concern.

It is odd that people are addressing the question of this being legal with the FAA. If you really want to do that, you might want to consider the the OP is flying beyond VLOS. If the FAA really did look into this matter, dropping something is not the OP's only concern.

He stated his friends house to be a quarter-mile away, and the only intended destination. I dont think 1600 feet is beyond VLOS on a normal day.

Or look up the FliFli on amazon. It's pretty good IMO.

The FliFli has the disadvantage of range though. It relies on receiving a signal from the remote that comes with it. Get very far and your package won't drop. That's the great thing about the Skyhook. As long as you can control the drone, you can still drop something.

The FliFli has the disadvantage of range though. It relies on receiving a signal from the remote that comes with it. Get very far and your package won't drop. That's the great thing about the Skyhook. As long as you can control the drone, you can still drop something.
I see, that would make it better. I think that the FliFli airdrop was made more for dropping soda cans or tomatoes from 400 feet to see what happens. I wouldn't ever buy one, waste of time IMHO.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl