Is it Worth It? Would you do it again?

Reaction score
I've went back and fourth on buying a Phantom 2 (non-vision) for a couple of months now. I love using my GoPro and making movies but I do most of that in fall/winter when I use it for hunting. I sold my fishing boat this year so I need another hobby during the warmer months. I've flown RC planes for several years but sold those awhile back because of just a pain to find a place to fly. I like everything it has to offer but you read so many comments about fly aways or drones just dropping out of the sky. If I had one and it just fell from the sky and was demolished, I'm not spending the cash to up and buy another one. I'd be willing to spend money on parts to improve it like add FPV etc... I'm just curious on everyone's opinion...is it worth the money? If you had to go back to the days before you bought yours, would you do it again? Thanks for any input as it is all much appreciated!

Shlick88 said:
I've went back and fourth on buying a Phantom 2 (non-vision) for a couple of months now. I love using my GoPro and making movies but I do most of that in fall/winter when I use it for hunting. I sold my fishing boat this year so I need another hobby during the warmer months. I've flown RC planes for several years but sold those awhile back because of just a pain to find a place to fly. I like everything it has to offer but you read so many comments about fly aways or drones just dropping out of the sky. If I had one and it just fell from the sky and was demolished, I'm not spending the cash to up and buy another one. I'd be willing to spend money on parts to improve it like add FPV etc... I'm just curious on everyone's opinion...is it worth the money? If you had to go back to the days before you bought yours, would you do it again? Thanks for any input as it is all much appreciated!

It's something that I have been repeating lately and it's definitely a way I would go when I upgrade.
I would NOT buy the vision or vision +.

I would definitely buy the phantom 2 which gives you various upgrade paths. When you crash a vision, you are boned for repairs. Thats a lot of money down with one crash!

With the P2, you can order parts from china at a fraction of the price and they work just as well! If it breaks in a crash, you can easily get a replacement.

If you are very worried about the flyaways, you can always by a P1, which seems to have a better track record. I dont think it comes with the self tightening props though. But it is cheaper.

it's definitely an adult hobby... there are things you can do to either minimize or increase your risk... for example not upgrading any firmware so you have no rate limited descent increases your chances of a VRS and it dropping out of the sky. upgrading the firmware sets strict descent limit that helps avoid that particular problem but introduces others like taking a long time to descend from height so you need to plan your battery power wisely.

You also have to remember that forums like this are going to be where all the folks with problems go... but not the scores of people who experience no problems at all. imo, most of the "flyaway" stories have been due to operator error such as leaving the gopro's wifi on which is a known issue. sure, there's a few legit no-reason flyaways but not tons.

There's also a rumor about a RC hobby something in the US that you can purchase a $1500-2000 membership and it comes with insurance for your device if you're really worried. sure it's like pre-buying a second one, but free #3, 4, however many times you plan on crashing ;)

would I do it again? absolutely. this hobby is super fun as long as you're cautious and smart

Shlick88 said:

Yes, I'd do it again.

And I agree the P2 is the way to start.

I have a similar background as you. R/C hobbies since about '78 - boats, planes, CP helis, now multi-rotor(s).

I have not had any issues with mine.
[I feel] I owe most of this to previous r/c my experiences.

There are many reasons to the occurrence and reporting of [only?] mishaps.

As a corollary to my experience helping me, the lack of experience by new muiti-rotor pilots (some say this is their FIRST r/c experience EVER) is a major contributor to the number of incidents you read about as compared to the one's who have had no or few problems.

One only need read these forums to assess the experience and other abilities of many pilots out there.

I do understand that manufacturing/component defects will occur, mistakes will be made, and accidents will happen but it seems those with the most problems have the least experience. This DOES NOT mean that first-timers won't have ongoing success or experienced pilots won't have 'issues' but experience does increase the chance of success.

I would definitely buy the Phantom 2 (non-Vision) again. I bought mine strictly as a video tool and compared to other higher priced drones before buying the Phantom.

I have the Hero3+ Black and the 3D Zenmuse and the videos this thing takes are fantastic. I have had a couple very minor crashes and it still flies great.

I have done everything to try to minimize my loss. I pretty much stay in line of sight unless the shot calls for it. Use FPV and I have a UAV locator in case I lose it. I have seen the videos with the 2D gimbals and Vision and I am not as happy with them as I am with my videos.

dragonash said:
If you are very worried about the flyaways, you can always by a P1, which seems to have a better track record. I dont think it comes with the self tightening props though. But it is cheaper.

The P1 has (had) way more flyaways per user than the P2. I almost didn't get the P2 because the P1 seemed to be plagued with flyaways.

Anyway, to the OP's question, it's hard to answer once you're addicted! But I do think it's worth it. It's an opportunity to learn something new. And I have been learning a lot. I'll likely diversify with another platform that has more capabilities soon.

I can second what badbrad97 wrote.
You just have to be patient in the beginning, but if you've flown RC before, you'll understand everyhting better.
I wrongly expected the experience to be as easy as RC cars. Not at all! The air is way different and you just have to be patient and get to know the machine. I know some say a child could fly the Phantom, and in a way I agree, but in many ways I strongly disagree. It is not a toy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl