Is it safe to update camera firmware yet?

Count said:
am I to assume that after this update the still photos will no longer be .jpg files? If so, why in the world would I want to do this? I have never even heard of a .dng file, and have no idea how th whare or edit it. Am I missing something here?

No, you will still get jpegs. You also have the option to select raw (,dng) in which case it will still record a jpeg as well as the raw file.

Raw files are kind of what they say - the raw image data from the camera without any sharpening, colour modification or compression. This allows you do make the decisions on hue, saturation, sharpness, noise, etc, etc, in a raw (.dng) editor before exporting it to something like Photoshop for saving in whatever format and size you wish.

If you have no need/want for raw images then there's ostensibly no need to update this time round, there's no other functionality added with this update.

Help you guys please!!
The DJI FC200 camera firmware update of Jan 20 says (on the DJI Release Notes) that it has fixed the RAW (DNG) problem. I have done the install of the new firmware to the camera and situation is the same. Cant open the raw files.Not with PS(cs4), Not with LR(5.3). Can anyone please guide me in the right direction. ????
Thanks in anticipation

Count said:
am I to assume that after this update the still photos will no longer be .jpg files? If so, why in the world would I want to do this? I have never even heard of a .dng file, and have no idea how th whare or edit it. Am I missing something here?
No, of course not. JPEGs will still be JPEGs. However, IF you choose "RAW" for your camera settings, the result will now be a DNG file format - rather than a DJI-proprietary format that no software can read. DNG files are the closest thing we have to a standardized "RAW" format. Most newer image-editing and -viewing apps can read DNG format just fine.

But if you don't care about DNG or RAW, then don't change your camera settings. Leave it set to the default - which is JPEG.

fimfie said:
Help you guys please!!
The DJI FC200 camera firmware update of Jan 20 says (on the DJI Release Notes) that it has fixed the RAW (DNG) problem. I have done the install of the new firmware to the camera and situation is the same. Cant open the raw files.Not with PS(cs4), Not with LR(5.3). Can anyone please guide me in the right direction. ????
Thanks in anticipation
The old RAW files - that you shot prior to the firmware update - will NEVER be usable. Sorry.

But assuming you power-cycled your Phantom after doing the firmware update, so the new firmware takes effect (you did reboot, didn't you?) - any NEW images you shoot with the RAW camera setting will now be saved in DNG format. And most newer photo apps can read DNG format just fine.

Yes the reboot makes the difference doesn't it. Dumb me.
I notice that the jpeg files are now much smaller. Is that to be expected?
Thanks for you help

jimre said:
fimfie said:
Help you guys please!!
Thanks in anticipation
The old RAW files - that you shot prior to the firmware update - will NEVER be usable. Sorry.

But assuming you power-cycled your Phantom after doing the firmware update, so the new firmware takes effect (you did reboot, didn't you?) - any NEW images you shoot with the RAW camera setting will now be saved in DNG format. And most newer photo apps can read DNG format just fine.

HAving done that yes I get DNG files that I can open in LightRoom BUT BUT I have now lost the DJI Phantom lens profile. How do I get that back??

importing the DNG file to LR5.3 I have lost the lens profile that I had there for the DJI F200. How to I get that lens profile back as an option?

fimfie said:
importing the DNG file to LR5.3 I have lost the lens profile that I had there for the DJI F200. How to I get that lens profile back as an option?
You didn't "lose" it. The officially-released lens profile only supports JPEG images. If you want it to work with DNG files, you either need to wait until Lightroom 5.4, or else modify it yourself as as a workaround. The latter trick has been discussed in several threads here, including this one:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8627

Just follow the instructional video on the DJI Download site EXACTLY. However, I caught a problem before it became one/ I was not going to upgrade the new firmware, as I'm not that in to photography. But after discovering that it also embeds compass and relative altitude info, I decided to do it. A couple of significant problems turned up. The windows "unzip" function does not reveal the necessary .bin file (I am using WIN7, 64 bit). I downloaded and installed the commericial "free" PKZIP. When I unzipped the file I had downloaded, the bin file was there. However, I noticed that the file size (13974kb) did not seem to match that shown on the instructional video - 14014kb. I then again downloaded and unzipped the file, and the bin file was correct.
!! :!: Make sure you check that file size Before you put that sd card back into the camera and initialize it!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4