Is it OK to add weight on one side of landing gear?

What I have mounted there is a 5 volt battery with a charger ,it's portable battery sorce for a cell phone..

Do you mind sharing what it is you are doing with the cellphone? I can only guess maybe as a gps tracker app installed?

Btw, the P3 has a pretty decent propulsion system which with something like you are doing should not have any trouble using that system to keep the aircraft level during flight. You can also tweak some stuff around with in part of the app as well.

Any idea how much flight time you lose with them?
Likely 4-5minutes less flight time on a fully charged intelligent fight battery.

Are you thinking about getting something like this for your drone?
It's a sweet addition, for sure. I really like how they are so quick and easy to attach or remove. Once placed upon the landing skids they are securly held.

RedHotPoker

Likely 4-5minutes less flight time on a fully charged intelligent fight battery.

Are you thinking about getting something like this for your drone?
It's a sweet addition, for sure. I really like how they are so quick and easy to attach or remove. Once placed upon the landing skids they are securly held.

RedHotPoker
Yes this is mounted on my skids...it's 5v output for my strobon strobs..there are two mounted under the rear motors..so that the have there own battery sorce..it's originally had the strobs powered by the phantom but the 5v stepdown circuitboard crapped out,so I jettisoned that for auxiliary power...NOW DON'T EVER EVER USE THE MAINBOARD ON THE PHANTOM FOR A 5V SORCE BECAUSE I ENDED UP REPLACING MY MAINBOARD BECAUSE IT SCREWED UP MY 5VOLT SUPPLY ON THE BOARD ...ALL I DID WAS APPLY MY METER TO TEST FOR VOLTAGE..THAT'S WHEN IT LOST MY TELEMETRY TO THE IMU..SO JUST ADVICE TO EVERYONE! !

Thanks for the advice and wise heads up. It's too bad you experienced that failure, but in reporting your findings, it may help others, to save thier bird from similar damage. ;-)
Personally, I will only add to the exterior of my RC models, where I generally get my kicks, preferring not to tinker with their inner, Swiss watch like, workings.
Glad you have it straightened out, back to enjoying your drone and appreciating your investment in this awesome hobby.

RedHotPoker

I know I love my drone..yes I learned my lesson..don't mess with the mainboard. .it's a closed circuit...Anyway the strobons are nice to have when your up high..but I may move the power supply..I just want it to look factory...but I can't find another spot any ideas?

Yeah, but you may need to acquire a totally new, & different type of configurations or lighting setups. ;-)
Fiilex AL250
Ah, but you seem set on using that particular style.

Might I inquire, or simply ask you, what is your priority, & reasons for your "strobe" light add-on? Do you only want blinkers, for better orientation and visible sight method, placed on the drone to assist you, while flying high, and often farther away?

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
I like them for orentation and keeping track of the drone..no crazy about anything bulky

I know, adding more weight wil reduce flight time, & unless you can use something light weight, why bother? ;-)
The GoPro LED light kit is popular, with its ease of set up and use.

This person added a nice visible light to his drone.
Ah, but the video is incomplete. He never showed where or how he attached the unit to the drone.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
So, Redhot, do your LEDS only point in 1 direction? I will be adding lights, just need to figure out which ones.

No, these are very adjustable, & can easily be titled to any angle along the plane of the holders.
There is a black adjustment wheel on the 1/4 20 threaded screw, to accomplish this.
Their brief video, will explain that thoughtful consideration & in short order! Hehe

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: MX DAD
No, these are very adjustable, & can easily be titled to any angle along the plane of the holders.
There is a black adjustment wheel on the 1/4 20 threaded screw, to accomplish this.

Their brief video, will explain that thoughtful consideration & in short order! Hehe

RedHotPoker

I have just taken my new Lume Cube kit (bought after seeing yours!) for a spin on my P3P. The setup is absolutely perfect:.balanced, adjustable lights, adjustable brightness, simple little app for remote switch on & off and brightness adjustment. Perfect for S & R, landing lights, or just illumination for your closeup night video.
They are indeed a bit heavy. I got 13 minutes from 100% to 20% of easy flying, but I am very pleased.

They look very solid and "professional" too.

A tad pricey, and expensive to ship from San Diego to Johannesburg, but then, at my age - meh!

I have just taken my new Lume Cube kit (bought after seeing yours!) for a spin on my P3P. The setup is absolutely perfect:.balanced, adjustable lights, adjustable brightness, simple little app for remote switch on & off and brightness adjustment. Perfect for S & R, landing lights, or just illumination for your closeup night video.
They are indeed a bit heavy. I got 13 minutes from 100% to 20% of easy flying, but I am very pleased.

They look very solid and "professional" too.

A tad pricey, and expensive to ship from San Diego to Johannesburg, but then, at my age - meh!
But money spent wisely, is an investment to future happiness and ultimate photography success. That's why we are here, and not www.helifreak.com, or others...
You are a smart shopper, and now a happy camper. ;-)
Thanks for the good news and awesome positive review.
Happy to see you enjoying your new purchase, which adds to the memorable experience, with these new additions to your marvelous flight kit.
Send my bonus to PO Box #555, Paymehere. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: MX DAD
Sure, the drone can easily lift a lot more weight that those have.

RedHotPoker
But are you a "Balance Engineer" ? Hopefully you do not intend to fly with a 107 Commercially, which is perfectly fine and your choice ! but being in Canada you would not, but for those under commercial FAA, Hmmm?

for me for night flying I have found nothing better then the Flytron stand alone units. Only 4 grams each unit and they show clearly at 3 miles out. They have a variety of colors and on mine I use 2 red,2 green, and 2 white. Have fun and go fly. donnie

for me for night flying I have found nothing better then the Flytron stand alone units. Only 4 grams each unit and they show clearly at 3 miles out. They have a variety of colors and on mine I use 2 red,2 green, and 2 white. Have fun and go fly. donnie
How do you attach them to the quad?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub