Is it me or is am I experiencing an issue?

Reaction score
Hoping I can get some insight.

Finally got a P3S last week. I have taken it for 3 flights. From my limited experience [with this drone] it handles very well and the camera is impressive. The issue I have is how badly the video link is; basically making FPV flight impossible. I have tried both DJI Go and Litchi on my Verizon Ellispe 7 and LG VT10. Litchi seems to be a little better, but nothing to write home about. All applications off and in airplane mode.

Should note I purchased the drone used and it included (installed) the ARGtek Extender Antenna Kit w 10dBi 5.8GHz. It just seems its VERY difficult to see the tablet/phone screen (made a quick sun shade; kind of helped), but the video latency makes the feed almost useless.

I am planning to test the video feed with my wife's iPad mini.

I am currently running FW v3.0.1

I really want to enjoy this drone and hoping I am doing something incorrect.
Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

At first blush you maybe experiencing a drawback from high gain antennas... Directivity.

Assuming all is working nominally...
You'll need to keep the antenna pointed in the direction the drone is in relation to you.
This is how the gain is achieved by making the signal more directional.

Like cupping your hands behind your ears to hear faint sounds or around your mouth when YELLING.

Also avoid flying directly overhead as the antennas have very little emission and sensitivity from the ends or tips.

Disable or uninstall all the bloatware and disable any unnecessary processes and see if that improves the latency.

Disable or uninstall all the bloatware and disable any unnecessary processes and see if that improves the latency.

As mentioned, all applications off and in airplane mode. Nothing else is running or competing for CPU/RAM when DJI is running.

Problem solved!!

As soon as I tested with the iPad mini the lag/latency was gone. From another forum I read about GPUs (link). Apparently the GPU in my Ellispe 7 was not powerful enough to process the video feed without having to offload or buffer to the primary CPU equaling the lag/latency behavior.

So, I can continue to use the wife's iPad mini or find a cheap Android tablet that is sufficient enough to handle the GPU load.

Next question, from standing outside I can see why a sunshade is so badly needed. Wondering if I can just make a quick and dirty cardboard shade that would suffice. Does anyone have any input if the purchased shades offer any benefits over just making a DIY shade?

Reactions: Neon Euc
This will keep you busy. ;)

Rod

Good stuff and as I had googled how folks are doing this. My question is more along the lines of those who have tried multiple shades (be it purchased or DIY), which worked best and why. I could bust something out real quick, but given the low cost of the shades I have seen online it might be worth it to throw a few bucks out there for one.

Open to opinions.

35d20c54490079d4e98399692f61e134.jpg

I got this from aliexpress and does the job for me. Took about a month to get to England but it was cheap and does the job

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: kerrycorcoran
For me, having a sun shade was not enough. I ordered a matte screen cover for my Nexus 7 and the combination of both helped a lot.

Next question, from standing outside I can see why a sunshade is so badly needed. Wondering if I can just make a quick and dirty cardboard shade that would suffice. Does anyone have any input if the purchased shades offer any benefits over just making a DIY shade?

Had an awful time with both my S6 mobile and my iPad. Applied an anti glare screen protector on my S6 and the improvement was amazing. Same results with my iPad. Without the anti glare, even a sunshade didnt cut it for me. The reflections of a blue sky and/or mixed clouds made it extremely hard to see the map on the mobile. I scrapped my homemade shade and only use the antiglare screens

I'm a noob with tablets, etc. Can you lead me to how to wipe out the bloatware. How do I know what I need to keep? Don't want to brick anything.

I have a real fancy sunshade .... does it help ? No.

Question to OP ..... what FW are you using ? 3.0.1 ?? Are you sure ? Didn't know there even was a 3 series FW for the P3S .... latest FW is 1.8.10 .......

Sounds like you mean GO 3.0.1 ....

Nigel

Thanks. One more ??
Haven't flown in a while. Do I need to install all firmware releases, or just the current one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.