Is firmware v1.9.60 considered "good enough"?

Reaction score
My current setup all works fine, but my apps are way outdated and I want some of the newer features of Litchi and Go, provided that the side-effects aren't crippling. I currently have a P3A with firmware v1.6, a dedicated Nexus 7 (2nd gen), Android 4.4.4 rooted, Litchi 3.0.4, and DJI Go 2.6.1. As I understand it, to retain compatibility I have to upgrade everything at once, and there's no going back for some of those items.

Firmware 1.9.60 has been out for 4 months now, and I'm hoping someone who actually uses it can comment on its stability. It would be even better if that someone is using a Nexus 7 and the latest Litchi and Go apps (October 2016).

Search results are cluttered with outdated "info" and unrelated noise. Geo-fencing isn't a concern for me, provided that DJI's geo-fencing map is accurate. There are complaints about reduced range, but it appears to be related to the reduced number of channels; not a big concern for me here. Extreme video lag or choppiness/stuttering would suck, but if it's related to busy radio channels, again, I should be OK.

Please make me feel all warm and fuzzy about updating everything to the latest, or tell me which of the recent app & firmware combinations work well on the Nexus 7.

Thank you,

*edited for spelling*

That's the vr. of the firmware I'm running along with v2.8.3 of the Android go app. Works great!
Anything after v2.8.3 is buggy and causes all kinds of problems on my Samsung S2 T710 tablet. I've tried to run all the updated app vr. since, and nothing but problems. Video not connecting, dropped out, tablet reboots, range is diminished, just plain flaky!

That's the vr. of the firmware I'm running along with v2.8.3 of the Android go app. Works great!
Anything after v2.8.3 is buggy and causes all kinds of problems on my Samsung S2 T710 tablet. I've tried to run all the updated app vr. since, and nothing but problems. Video not connecting, dropped out, tablet reboots, range is diminished, just plain flaky!
Thanks. Do you ever use Litchi?

I have all latest FWs for DJI Go App, RC and AC and I don't see issues. I have read reports of things not working correctly after upgrades. I m not sure of the real cause of those issues. Was it incorrect installation or HW issues. I always suggest if you are happy with what you have, enjoy it and no need to upgrade. Many of the upgrades will have no impact on your P3A but as DJI documentation is not detailed enough, we really don't know if there has been a bug fixed for your P3A.

For quite sometimes I am seeing updates on DJI Go App only to make it perfect for many other HW too such as New Mavic Pro. Changes on app look more cosmetic than functional.

In case you have decided to upgrade, go for the latest for all ( AC, RC and Go App) that will ensure you have the correct set of updates. The main precaution that has to be taken is to follow upgrade instructions word by word and completely. It's true you will not be able to go back to what you have currently on your P3A but if all is installed correctly in the correct sequence, you won't regret.

I have no idea of nexus 7 as I'm iOS user.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

....go for the latest for all ( AC, RC and Go App)....., you won't regret. I have no idea of nexus 7 as I'm iOS user.

As you stated, we have vastly different tablet hardware, and OS, and therefore app. I would be cautious about saying "you won't regret", but I appreciate your effort to help.

As you stated, we have vastly different tablet hardware, and OS, and therefore app. I would be cautious about saying "you won't regret", but I appreciate your effort to help.

I had the same tablet you do and had to get away from it over a year ago. The GO was larger in size then and had more processes with in it. The Nexus could not keep up. I have since upgraded to both the nVidia and mini2.

Both alokbhargava and Mocho gave you spot on advice and suggestions. From all that has came up here it is wisely recommended to not go past 2.83 on the GO app. Btw, if you ever go through head aches from firmware issues, you would gladly soon join a group of others that no longer update. I stopped at GO app 2.43 and AirCraft Firmware 1.4.1 over a year ago.

You need to know that there is a ongoing downward spiral when upgrading. Most of the time there are little to no details given on what is taking place in a update. And there are rare occasions when dji will give update details making sound like the greatest ever additions have are with in the updates. And then when it's all said and done we find that things have been taken away from the overall package. And it doesn't take long to get upset when you find out you can't roll back the firmware to a minimum of what you had prior to...

You state not to go past 2.83 on the GO app but how do you do that when you go to the app store and download the app? When you download the app its going to be the newest of the DJI GO app which will be higher than 2.83. Are you downloading the older firmware in a APK file?

Last edited:
That's the vr. of the firmware I'm running ....
Thanks everyone. Hey Mocho, just to be clear, are you referring to 1.9, or 1.6? I was all ready to upgrade when I realized I may have misinterpreted your meaning. Also, do you have a favorite version of Litchi?

Thanks everyone. Hey Mocho, just to be clear, are you referring to 1.9, or 1.6? I was all ready to upgrade when I realized I may have misinterpreted your meaning. Also, do you have a favorite version of Litchi?
The latest version of Litchi is fine and it's not going to be fussy about what firmware you have.

To clarify, I'm running vr. 1.9.6 of the P3P firmware and v2.8.3 of the Android app. I've never tried anything lower than 1.9.6 because that is what I started with, and had no reason "that I know of" to downgrade.

Also using the latest vr. of Litchi, as I have auto updates on for it. Don't have a favourite vr, as Litchi has not caused me any issues, that were not pilot induced :)

Hello Pilots,
Sorry for poking in here, but I just finished starting a thread about "Optimal Firmware and Correlating Updates" as I JUST bought a DJI 3 Pro, and want it to perform as to the best of it's abilities out of the box. I was intending to use a Samsung A8 Tablet as a dedicated FPV for it.

I see in this thread, especially from "Mocho" that he doesn't feel the need to upgrade if all is well, and I feel the same. I am upgrading from a DJI Phantom Vision (no +) and I noted that there was a lot of problems with various firmware and DJI GO App versions, and so on.

Can ANYONE recommend at least a good starting off firmware version table (RC, Batteries, Gimbal, DJI GO App, and anything else) that IS stable for them but not the latest? Call me paranoid, but I really don't think that all these releases are necessary, and as someone else pointed out, you really DON'T know what they are addressing, and it seems each time they do, something is sacrificed.

ANY HELP OR INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

A.J. Lebeau
Computer Network Systems Administrator/Engineer
M.C.S.E., M.C.P. + I., M.C.P., CompTIA+

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.