Is a used Phantom 3 Pro still a reasonable purchase?

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for a used drone that has a good camera and is a stable flyer, for a reasonable price. I know there are newer DJI models which are more expensive, however the camera increase in quality doesn’t warrant the price increase for my needs.
If I purchased a used P3 pro, are there still firmware upgrades etc that can be applied?
Is there anything on the horizon (such as regulations) which will make an older model of drone obsolete or not allow it to fly?

Thanks

I still fly my P34k. It is a great old bird, and takes good video and pictures. Parts are becoming an issue. They are much harder to find.

I use it for missions that might be too dangerous to attempt with my newer drones.

There are no regulatory issues for it that don’t potentially apply to the others - eg alerting other aircraft to it’s present transmitters.

Reactions: Capt KO and Ossey
Hi I'm looking for a used drone that has a good camera and is a stable flyer, for a reasonable price. I know there are newer DJI models which are more expensive, however the camera increase in quality doesn’t warrant the price increase for my needs.
If I purchased a used P3 pro, are there still firmware upgrades etc that can be applied?
Is there anything on the horizon (such as regulations) which will make an older model of drone obsolete or not allow it to fly?

Thanks
if you've seen it flying and all ok just go for it, I got a P3P when they first came out and still fly it now, it's a great quad with really good quality videos, one thing I haven't updated it for the last 3-4 years, my motto, is if it aint broke don't fix it, and haven't had any problem since, still flying as normal

A P3P is still a very good quad, assuming the price is good and everything works. The pro version has an issue where the gimbal board can overheat causing loss of video transmission so be sure to test that before buying. Otherwise, all the phantom 3's are solid and reliable. Keep in mind that parts such as new props and batteries are getting more scarce. A used P4 might be a wiser choice simply because they are newer and easier to get parts for.

Reactions: Capt KO and Oso
My son bought me a P3P three years ago and I still fly it without issues (other than my own). I have never updated the firmware and will not as long as she flies. Love the drone! I see little difference between my videos and the videos from his Mavic. The big difference is that mine requires a large backpack and his a small one.

Thanks
nothing wrong with the older ones , in my books they are better than the new ones as they keep adding problems to them everytime they come out with a new drone , the keep it simple stupid is gone lol

Reactions: Phill2
P3P is a good craft. The main advantages that can be gained from a Mavic Air2, Mavic 2P or Mavic2Z is:

1. Mavics show much less prop in the video when flying into wind. Props in the video make it unusable, and many times you don't know you have props in the video until you edit the video.
2. Mavics fold, so the backpack needed to transport the craft is much smaller. This is particularly convenient when traveling by plane, where you much carry on the craft and store in the overhead.
3. Mavics have many "automated flight modes" in the Go4 app that earlier P3 craft don't support. Some of those flight modes offer convenient ways to capture smooth takes on POI's.

I don't recommend the original Mavic Pro and Pro Platinum, the camera and gimbal is not a good design, suffers from a cheap lens. Mavic Air has a good camera, but is noisy and has a short flight time. The Mavic Air 2 is a great craft, very good value, but uses a less capable "Fly" app, instead of "Go4" app. Both Mavic2P and Mavic2Z are great drones.

The P3P is a good craft for a beginner if you have a good buy. I sold mine about 6mos ago for $475 with 4 good batteries. It flew great, took great 4K video, and had great range.

Reactions: Capt KO
P3P is a good craft. The main advantages can be gained from a Mavic Air2, Mavic 2P or Mavic2Z is:

1. Mavics show much less prop in the video when flying into wind. Props in the video make it unusable, and many times you don't know you have props in the video until you edit the video.
2. Mavics fold, so the backpack needed to transport the craft is much smaller. This is particularly convenient when traveling by plane, where you much carry on the craft and store in the overhead.
3. Mavics have many "automated flight modes" in the Go4 app that earlier P3 craft don't support. Some of those flight modes offer convenient ways to capture smooth takes on POI's.

I don't recommend the original Mavic Pro and Pro Platinum, the camera and gimbal is not a good design, suffers from a cheap lens. Mavic Air has a good camera, but is noisy and has a short flight time. The Mavic Air 2 is a great craft, very good value, but uses a less capable "Fly" app, instead of "Go4" app. Both Mavic2P and Mavic2Z are great drones.

The P3P is a good craft for a beginner if you have a good buy. I sold mine about 6mos ago for $475 with 4 good batteries. It flew great, took great 4K video, and had great range.
nothing wrong with the Mavic pro , love mine it has not flown away like all them new ones do lol

Reactions: gppms
nothing wrong with the Mavic pro , love mine it has not flown away like all them new ones do lol
I'm not saying someone wouldn't be happy with a MP, I just wouldn't recommend one, given the other choices today. If you haven't owned a P3P, the MP video quality would be acceptable to many, and be OK with with the craft. The MP and MPP flies great. However the P3P produces better video than MavicPro or Pro Platinum, not counting the prop view I mentioned with the P3P when flying into the wind. The P3P has a better lens.

P3P or P4 whichever one gives you a Good deal. Same basic camera on both. Check Craigslist to have a chance to look and fly at time of purchase. Should find something sweet in the $500 range. Love my Phantoms, 'like' my mavic. Good luck.

Reactions: Phill2
My P3A still going strong. Very stable platform and, unlike the mini drones, doesn't mind a bit of wind! Weight = stability!

P3P is a good craft. The main advantages that can be gained from a Mavic Air2, Mavic 2P or Mavic2Z is:

Millions of mavics pro 1 flies worldwide without an issue.

Thanks
I'll sell you mine for 1k with 3 batteries controler and case included.

Not long after reading a lot. I acquired my first drone, a P3P with 25 flights.
To start it is excellent in relation to its cost.
With 4 batteries I fly 80 minutes of running.
Excellent 4K videos

Attachments

• PSX_20200614_220724.jpg
    PSX_20200614_220724.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 274
Just picked up my first “real” bird, a P3P. I got it, 2 batteries, extra props, and a nice ultimax hard side backpack case. $400 Loving it so far, just have an old sad card so video sucks atm. Waiting on a extreme card from amazon so I can grab some smooth video! Loving it a lot so far!

Reactions: ron-ep

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic