Is a Phantom really worth it?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. After checking my account after a long wait i now have just over 1k sitting about not doing a whole lot. I've wanted a phantom for a while, and after seeing the stabilisation of the Phantom 4 and the new touchscreen on the pro+ i'm really tempted to get one. Is it really worth the price tag though, or should i avoid t for now and at least wait for the price to drop?

I purchased my phantom 4 pro without the screen. I saved up for two months. I found this device had what I wanted. My 8 year old son and I can both fly it. It’s not a cost effective or cheap device. You certainly get what you paid for in any device and I recommend my phantom 4.

I've wanted a phantom for a while, and after seeing the stabilisation of the Phantom 4 and the new touchscreen on the pro+ i'm really tempted to get one.
Phantom 4's will be obsolete in the next 6-8 months. Just as the 3's are now. IMO, from the years of being around here, the 3's are the most stable of all the Phantom series. Not saying that the 4's are not an excellent aircraft, but it has it's flaws. I would do very extensive research in to the Pro's and Con's of what to purchase. The built in screens are not that advantageous IMO. Yes they may be flashy at first, but there are still issues with whichever way you go. Choose wisely my friend.

I have both the three and a phantom 4. If you really are into photography then get anything above the Phantom 4 standard, because of the larger sensor. It all depends on your budget. All of them fly great and lots of fun. Sometimes it's best to get a cheap used one to learn and bang around. You have an idea what you really want and you can step up if you want.

Phantom 4's will be obsolete in the next 6-8 months. Just as the 3's are now. IMO, from the years of being around here, the 3's are the most stable of all the Phantom series. Not saying that the 4's are not an excellent aircraft, but it has it's flaws. I would do very extensive research in to the Pro's and Con's of what to purchase. The built in screens are not that advantageous IMO. Yes they may be flashy at first, but there are still issues with whichever way you go. Choose wisely my friend.

You can pick up a refurb Phantom 3 Pro pretty cheap these days and they're a great drone.

Andrew: Yes. Beyond doubt. We got a P4P+ (the version with an integrated, very bright screen) 16 months ago. We would make the same choice today, without hesitation.

We rightly waited for years, until the technology - and especially camera quality (the 1" sensor mentioned above is essential for very good quality images/footage) - was good enough for our professional purposes and early glitches were ironed out. We fly for work, not pleasure.

The image quality is everything we could have dreamed of years ago when we became aware of drones and looked ahead. The technology is amazing. DJI have done a fantastic job offering all of this at an affordable price.

Andrew: Yes. Beyond doubt. We got a P4P+ (the version with an integrated, very bright screen) 16 months ago. We would make the same choice today, without hesitation.

We rightly waited for years, until the technology - and especially camera quality (the 1" sensor mentioned above is essential for very good quality images/footage) - was good enough for our professional purposes and early glitches were ironed out. We fly for work, not pleasure.

The image quality is everything we could have dreamed of years ago when we became aware of drones and looked ahead. The technology is amazing. DJI have done a fantastic job offering all of this at an affordable price.

I totally agree with African wildlife. I have done exactly the same. I waited and waited and finally was in a position where I was happy such that there was alignment between of the moons of available technology, and available finances and available time. I too purchased a new P4P+ and I could not be happier.
Andrew, good luck with whatever decision you have made / will make and enjoy your flying.

P4P here, Tello, and Mavic Air, would buy them all again. This combination covers everything. Indoor, outdoor and small for travel. Go for a P4P and you’ll never look back. Never had an issue except for bad batteries right out of the box. Never had a flight hitch that I didn’t create.

Last edited:
P4P here, Tello, and Mavic Air, would buy them all again. This combination covers everything. Indoor, outdoor and small for travel. Go for a P4P and you’ll never look back. Never had an issue except for bad batteries right out of the box. Never had a flight hitch that I didn’t create.
Would love to add a Mavic Air to the collection but i blew the wad on the p4p+!

I totally agree that you have the perfect fleet!

We fly the P4P+ for hospital security patrols and building inspections for our maintenance supervisors. The uav was up yesterday doing routine patrol of the wood line and parking lot when the facilities projects director decided he needed some video and photos of some new HVAC units recently installed on the roofs. So we took care of that for them. This spring we are getting a Mavic Enterprise Dual to supplement the Phantom. The Phantom is stable, has taken a lot of rough handling and is doing a great job for our Public Safety department.

Andrew: An additional thought, directly answering "Is a Phantom really worth it?" And, obviously, I and others have already answered your question as to the reliability, great technology, and very good camera quality of the P4P+.

But perhaps the most important question of all is "How are you going to use it?" Cellblock776 has given one option above. We use ours just as a professional filming tool (not as easy as it sounds because a film is more than just the act of filming). Whatever you decide is down to vision, imagination, practicality, specifics, etc etc - all of which comes from your brain. Or not if you don't push the limits. The technology has arrived, but often the mind-power lags disappointingly behind as to how it can be used. Yes, flying a drone as a hobby is a reasonable choice - but the cost and capability of the P4P (as different from "lesser" or more basic drones) offers so much more. So why not demand more of yourself other than just the mundane?

SpaceX are doing a great job putting rockets into space - and usually re-using them (or, at least for now, the first stage boosters). But it's what they are being used for - the various satellites, moon landers, etc - that provides the real outcome. (Plus SpaceX's real goal of getting us to colonise Mars, as the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy launches are just stepping-stone developments to a bigger vision.)

DJI have given us an amazing tool. I would argue that we have a duty of responsibility to use it well.

Hi everyone. After checking my account after a long wait i now have just over 1k sitting about not doing a whole lot. I've wanted a phantom for a while, and after seeing the stabilisation of the Phantom 4 and the new touchscreen on the pro+ i'm really tempted to get one. Is it really worth the price tag though, or should i avoid t for now and at least wait for the price to drop?
Andrew32, You won't know the value until you get one. Watch a few YouTube videos and you will definitely see why the Phantom 4 Pro Plus is the only way to go. Leave your cell phone and Ipad doing what they do best, not hooked up to a controller. The PP4 Plus is worth every dime if you are serious and want the best drone with professional camera equipment. I own one and I am not the least bit sorry I spent 2 grand on my DJI tech supported craft.

Reactions: Andrew32
Have been using an iPad mini 4 on several DJI products. I also have the plus controller that is being sent back to DJI because it has some camera settings issues. The tough part is the size of the screen. After using a mini for several years, the plus screen is somewhat small and I’m still trying to adjust. If I had to make a choice, which fortunately I’m not in that predicament, I’d keep the mini. The advantage I see in the plus controller is the ease of use and carrying less gear.

We have set more clients up on Phantom 4 pro plus drones than any other, without a doubt they are the most hassle free drone to work with , and offer everything you could want from a drone except the size.

The advantages are many, from firmwares that are detail orientated, to Accessories made for the drone. The Plus controller is so underrated mainly because it did not have screen record and Litchi but that has changed now.

As you may know we fly in extreme weather conditions , rain , cold , snow and not once has the Pro Plus controller let me down , however I cannot say that for my I pad or Iphone.

If you can pick one up a Phantom 4 pro plus for $800 to 1000 grab it.

I have had the P4P, P4P+, Mavic Air, and now the Mavic 2 Pro. As a photographer, I like to be able to keep a camera (Nikon Z7), lenses (2 telephotos), drone (now Mavic 2 Pro), and batteries in my camera bag. This is not possible with the Phantom. For most applications, the Mavic Air stills/video were fine and the Mavic Air was great as a portable drone. For still more applications, the Mavic 2 Pro stills/video are fine and the Mavic 2 Pro fits nicely in my bag AND has a longer fight time than the Air. There is nearly NO incentive for me to go back to a Phantom given my needs/desire for integrating the drone into my camera bag as "just another camera".

It really depends on what you want to use it for and will it do that job and do it well? Rather like buying a camera? I did th many times as a pro photographer. I chose the best I could get for my money that did the job well. I was never tempted by the techno brigade view of ‘needing’ the very latest kit. I need a kit that worked for me. As I moved in to phantoms, and specifically the 4pro, I got the best kit for the jobs I needed it to do. I was not wrong. It is a great aircraft, and a real joy to fly. So give it a lot of thought and ask what you want to do with it when you have it. Buy refurb as I have done, save lots of money and get one, or buy second hand as has already been mentioned, but make sure it is from a reputable source.

Amen to that, Brother

I have a p4 stander Picked up when they first came out. Love it! It does everything I want .works great.There is no reason right now to get a p4p
or mavic when this works great. If I had a lot of money I might.But for now I am happy with what I have.

Reactions: Gregg Kielma

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl