is a 24 mph wind too much for a ph3 Standard?

How do you guys measure wind speed? Here is S-Africa you pay a fortune for a proper wind meter.
I do not measure wind speed, I use visual observations, fluttering flags, leaves blowing around , tree branches swaying etc.
I actually only fly in what I consider very light winds, but frequently get the high wind warnings on the app.

Yes, 20 mph on the ground is too much for the phantom 3. 15-20 is a danger zone and if you lost gps you better be proficient in flying without it. My p4 can handle more wind but that doesnt mean im going to put it up in 20+ mph winds. Also, stay UPwind at all times!

I only have a P3A but what makes a P4 handle better than a P3 when it's windy? Weight, prop speed, what?

I do not measure wind speed, I use visual observations, fluttering flags, leaves blowing around , tree branches swaying etc.
I actually only fly in what I consider very light winds, but frequently get the high wind warnings on the app.
I do the same. Observe your surroundings. Do not let yourself be guided by apps alone. Flags and trees often tell you more than an app.

Just got back from 3 day trip to Milwaukee from Tucson. Flying 3 missions at 240 feet 15 - 32 degrees, wind 8 - 25 gusting 35.
The book wind speed of 22 mph is right on. Anything over that, the drone is buffeted and it's all it can do to maintain mission profile, taking multiple photos at each way point as it's almost directly into the wind and can't proceed. Mission fail.
The temp drastically reduces flight times. At 15 degrees F, a 28 minute battery, becomes about a 10 minute battery. We got the missions completed, but it took a lot of time waiting at the hotel for less wind and higher temps.

I was flying my ph3 standard with a constant 20 mph wind (120 feet high), when I stopped watching the bird for a minute, and then it was almost 2 streets away from me, even though it was on GPS mode.
Checking the UAV forecast app, it showed 25 mph gusts for my location.
I made a RTH success landing but felt very worried because now I don't feel confident about having the drone out of sight. I know the wind was kind of strong, but the drone didn't fight against it as I thought it would.

Is it possible? Have you experienced any similar situation?

Cheers, happy Easter for the community!!!!!
I have a friend with a P3 that laughs at anything under a 25mph gust and flies at or past visual range.
I don't fly my company P4P if the wind is over 15mph gusts as if something goes wrong, I don't want to try to explain why I had a 20mph tail wind sending the drone to Utah. But 10mph steady and it's no problem.
Try going out into a big field, no tall grass, on a windy day and just go straight up 20ft and see of it drifts. Increase altitude as your confidence grows.

It's faster by around 7mph, so you can technically fly back against a stronger head wind, not that I'd want to.
In P-GPS mode they have the same top speed - 16 metres/sec
You can enable obstacle avoidance in the P4 pro which will reduce the top speed.
You can also switch it up to Sport mode and reach 20 metres/sec
But in P-GPS mode they have an identical top speed and the same ability to deal with wind.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164