Is 4k really that hard to deal with?

Possibly, but they can't play it.
So your point is?

I dare say they could be upgraded at an uneconomic cost..
But there's no need because I can play and edit 4K fine on my desktop with Nvidea gaming graphics.
My point was to address your comment that a laptop with XP cant do 1080.. That problem is a limitation of its poorly lacking display, and its lack of a CODEC to handle the video files efficiently. The same holds for the poor display, and lacking video processor that cant produce 4k video in the Toshiba. 4k is beyond both of their output reach. That doesn't make it unable to actually PLAY the video, it just, as someone else already stated, only makes it more complicated to play because the computer has to down-process the video before it can be displayed. Again, a proper CODEC will make that all the better. People are vastly lost.. Making statements about RAM and OS versions as determining factors only lead to more confusion.

Sometimes my computer struggles - it is old and has 8gb of RAM. I found Firefox and Chrome are the main culprits. You may have to end task on them not just close the program. They have nasty memory holes!!!
If in doubt close everything and shut down/restart.
Oh and run antivirus and malwarebytes

Reactions: BigAl07
I simply drop them into a folder on my HDD that's backed up by Google photos which converts them to 1080p upon upload, but retains the original file on the HDD. I can then edit them as I see fit from any device. It's also a great way to share ur videos.

Mostly, when you talk about specs, you forget to take Hard drives into account.
To play 4K, in case of P3P, has to handle at least 60Mbps read speeds (including the latency to actually locate and retrieve the data, which is a big deal in HDD's).
Most middle or low budget non-SSD drives can't handle it, so there's your bottleneck.

Try to run it under Linux, like Ubuntu or something. I think it would help a lot.

To play 4K, in case of P3P, has to handle at least 60Mbps read speeds (including the latency to actually locate and retrieve the data, which is a big deal in HDD's).
Most middle or low budget non-SSD drives can't handle it, so there's your bottleneck.

If your hard drive can't handle 60Mbps (fragmented or not) then its broken. Get a new one.

I used to build computer but have since gone Apple and both my Apple MacBook Pro and iMac can handle the 4K video without issue but if I reboot my iMac to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 and I get choppy/laggy video. Past that I don't know what to tell you, logic tell me it Windows!
Same here... 4K video runs smooth on my iMac but when I work on my brand new Windows machine with a 4K monitor the video shakes and lags so badly it's unusable.

Any class 3 data drive (which most are these days) can handle 300 Mb/sec, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Just 10 minutes ago I responded to a similar issue on RCG. Here is a copy of that response

Way back when... I was trying to decide if I wanted a P3P or P3A. I had a buddy send me raw 4k video in drop box to see if my system would play it. It would not, not even close. Now, not only does it play 4k, I can edit 4k. I did not spend a dime.

Before I bought my P3, I posted about my 4k issues here, and on RCG, and on FB forums. Most responses to my posts questioned my system specs. Here they are, in a nearly 2 yo HP laptop. I did not buy this laptop with 4k in mind. 2 years ago I don't think I had even heard of 4k:

i7 at 2.2 Ghz
64 bit
8 GB RAM
1TB 5200 rpm HDD
Intel HD Graphics 4000

Then all of the wizards of smart told me... not enough RAM, HDD is too slow, and I need a new graphics card.

I am sure all of that would help. But I might as well by a new computer or go with the P3A. I did neither. I bought a P3P and kept my computer
cool.gif

So what did I do? I started Googling and found a bunch of other info. This will be a very truncated how-to fix 4K playback/editing, but basically I followed a few resource management rabbit holes until it worked.

Googling said to Defrag your HDD. Mine is set to automatic. I did a manual anyway, and it cleaned up a lot of stuff

Same with malware and virus software. All is set to automatic. I ran manual checks anyway, found some stuff

Next, Task Manager is your friend. Look at it, and see what is running and using resources.
confused.gif

I use Chrome to surf the web. It is a HUGE resource hog. Shut it down first when playing with 4k. Although now I can edit 4k with 4 or less tabs open
biggrin.gif

Next I noticed Malware Bites (MWB) (my malware software) was using a lot of resources. I ditched McAfee and Norton a long time ago, but everything I read said they were prime no 4k play issue #1! I emailed MWB about hogging resources. They responded with a fix file. MWB uses a lot less resources now

The next big resource hog was some form of Windows process. I do not remember the name (notamex?) or similar. But it is probably slim and none everyone will have the same issue, it's the method I am suggesting you should try.

I Googled that process. Something lead me to that process indicating registry errors, and to a program called CCleaner as a fix for registry errors. I ran CC and boy did it find a whole long list of stuff. Once cleaned that up, it stopped that process from hogging resources.

That was the last big key to playing/editing 4k on my system that is not supposed to be capable of handling 4k. Along the way I got the VLC advice etc. But now 4k plays in Windows Media player, VLC or anything else I have.

So cleaning up my system, and following the resource hog rabbit holes did it for me. YMMV

Reactions: 43k and Vanjo Grale
After my P3P crashed and will be out of commission for a few weeks while I it gets repaired, I bought a P3A as a backup. For everything I do the 1080p is plenty of resolution. Unless you have a 4k TV or monitor and a the software and hardware to deal with 4K it is largely wasted resolution. I can't tell my P3A and my P3P apart in anything I have.

I won't be upgrading my TV or computer anytime soon so the 4K just makes huge files I have to deal with.

Hey Rob-
Your not alone. I bought my P3 pro about a month ago. I love the quad, but have struggled to edit the 4k video on my 2011 (2.7ghz i5) iMac without the choppiness you describe. I've hear people say it's better to have the pro because you can still crop/zoom the 4k feed, or that it's better than 1080 when down scaled. Still with the difficulty of even editing it on my computer I find I just shoot in 1080. I suppose with future upgrades like a new computer (or that iPad pro) and a 4k TV it will one day make sense.

I shoot in 4K, and had a lot of trouble editing. Since then I upgraded my computer to a new CyberPowerPC with a solid state drive, windows 10, and a nice high end graphics card. I use CyberlinkPowerdirector 13 as my video editor (it is very similar to Photoshop Premier but 1/10 the cost). Once you drop the video files into your project, it takes a while for it to create "shadow" copies of lower resolution used for editing. Once that is done, the editing and playback are smooth and fast. Here is a finished project:

This has changed my video editing from a slow, frustrating process to a joyful, fun experience.

I also purchased a ASUS 4K monitor so I can actually SEE the videos at full resolution, and they are amaziing!

Reactions: blaster81
Same with malware and virus software. All is set to automatic. I ran manual checks anyway, found some stuff
Any real time antivirus software will impede disk performance in some way.
This is the second thing to look into when experiencing problems with high speed disk operations. (The first thing to check is obviously fragmentation, if the disk is nearly full, etc)

Either try to turn of any real time monitoring in the AV software, or simply uninstall it.

I had this strange problem with Kaspersky, where file transfers got remarkably slow, but only with large files. It made no difference turning off and pause everything in the antivirus, so at first I incorrectly concluded that the AV was not the issue.

But then I finally tried to uninstall it and restarted the box. The difference in transfer speed was remarkably (I have high performance SSDs). Kaspersky claim their software have a low impact on system performance which I find truly false. Even when every function in it is turned off! (WTF?!). This was two months ago with the latest version of Kaspersky, ver 16.

(As a side note, Kaspersky also injects javascript into any web page you visit, no matter HTTP or HTTPS. Not a performance issue, only a bit scary. Even this was not disabled when turning off every single function in their software. Instead, this also required an uninstall to get rid of.)

Got my p3 pro over the weekend, took it to a lake a shot some beautiful footage in 4k. Got it home put the card in my computer, copied the video to it. When you try to watch it, it is extremely laggy/choppy. I've built computers my whole life, this one has 16 gigs of ram, quad core 4ghz processor...can't remember what video card I have but it was 250 bucks. I recorded on the card that came with the p3, and the card I used on my phantom 2, same result. Tried converting it to 1080p and it was fine but I shouldn't have to do that. I played them in QuickTime and VLC with same result. Anyone else going insane over this? Are there any specific settings I can change in the app to help?
I had the same problem when I recorded in 4K. Video played choppy and delayed on my gateway laptop. I went back out and recorded in 1080p and my computer played it fine. It seems like a lot of PC's won't play 4K video very well.

My PC (i5, 16GB ram, multi SSDs, ATI 7970) will play the 3840*2160 4K videos perfectly but anything shot in "Hollywood" 4k i.e.4080*2160 judders and stutters all the time. I suspect this will be a codec issue as normal 4K works perfectly and the difference between the two sizes is minimal.

Try the "normal" 4K stuff and see if it makes a difference. If it does, then it's probably a codec issue with you too.

I'm using a Mac and original had a difficulty dealing with 4K video. I always shoot 4K so that in the future I will always have best quality output. The eureka moment came when I learned about "proxy media" in FCP X. It take a bit longer rending the original content but once it is done you can choose to edit with this proxy media which is a very low quality stream but whatever you do in proxy simultaneously occurs with your original media. Than once you chose your output type (Quality) it will use the original media and transcode that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 5.01.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 5.01.23 PM.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 208
4k is a lot of data to be processed. It is probably your graphics card that is the limitation. How much gig is it? CUDA cores? You probably need at least 2-2.5 GB on your graphics card.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20