iPhone 6 vs iPhone 7+ - Which is the ultimate device for Mavic?

Reaction score
So the whole point of a Mavic is that it's small, and doesn't take up too much space.

I've been wondering what is the ultimate device to go with that?

A tablet is out of the question, not portable enough.

So now I'm wondering if the extra screen space of a 7+ would make much of a difference?

I've flown my p3 with my iPhone 6, and wasn't always easy to see what's going on. The main issue is glare, but I guess this would affect any device.

It only makes sense to me that the larger screen of the 6+/7+ would be easier to see. I'll be using my 6+.

However, I will certainly buy an iPad mini adapter once available. There is a YouTube video of a guy that made one. IMO, his design is poor. There needs to be an adapter that allows the iPad mini to sit low enough to still be able to view the display on the controller.

So, for portability I'd say 6+/7+. But otherwise an adapter with an iPad mini and a hoodie to reduce glare would provide the best experience.

Last edited:
It only makes sense to me that the larger screen of the 6+/7+ would be easier to see. I'll be using my 6+.

However, I will certainly buy an iPad mini adapter once available. There is a YouTube video of a guy that made one. IMO, his design is poor. There needs to be an adapter that sits low enough to still be able to view the display on the controller.

I've used an iPad before, and yeah, it's pretty awesome with so much screen space. However, it becomes kind of clunky holding that.

I've also been looking into VR goggle headsets. There's a Merge VR headset that is $60 and gets a decent score on reviews. Feel like that would solve the glare issue too. But then you have this clunky headset to carry around with you too.

I've also been looking into VR goggle headsets. There's a Merge VR headset that is $60 and gets a decent score on reviews. Feel like that would solve the glare issue too. But then you have this clunky headset to carry around with you too.

Interesting but how do you control the phone with VR? If it is possible, like a remote or Wii type controller, will the display be enough to compensate in losing the controller display also?

Interesting but how do you control the phone with VR? If it is possible, like a remote or Wii type controller, will the display be enough to compensate in losing the controller display also?
You would open the app, slide your phone into the glasses, then fly you're Mavic regularly. Most of what you'd want to control can be done from the controller, don't think you'd need to touch your phone screen, but Litchi might have some kind of gesture system that uses your head movement to control. Not 100% sure on how litchi makes it work.

However, I will certainly buy an iPad mini adapter once available. There is a YouTube video of a guy that made one. IMO, his design is poor. There needs to be an adapter that allows the iPad mini to sit low enough to still be able to view the display on the controller.
You would open the app, slide your phone into the glasses, then fly you're Mavic regularly. Most of what you'd want to control can be done from the controller, don't think you'd need to touch your phone screen, but Litchi might have some kind of gesture system that uses your head movement to control. Not 100% sure on how litchi makes it work.

It's my understanding (for phantom users anyway) that Litchi only controls the camera. When look side to side or up or down the camera moves in that direction. You still use the controller to fly the plane.

It's my understanding (for phantom users anyway) that Litchi only controls the camera. When look side to side or up or down the camera moves in that direction. You still use the controller to fly the plane.

There is a couple of Litchi VR modes you can fly with. One of the modes is called head track. The camera will tilt if you look up and down and the Bird will yaw left and right if turn your head. It uses the gyro and accelerometer in the phone to do all this. I have tried on Android and NOT on IOS.

I have ordered a used Samsung Note 5. Gets you what seems to be the biggest screen device (5.7") that fits in the Mavic's controller without mods. 2nd hand iPhone 6+/6s+ was second choice.

Still trying to find a workable solution with HDMI output for my video goggles, much more difficult but I have ordered some parts to try stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.