iPads, Goggles or DJI's Crystal Sky (and the winner is)???

Reaction score
Website
www.totalexpophoto.com
Hi everyone, its been a while since I last posted and I hope that all of you members and your families are safe from this virus *** we've found ourselves in...

I have a general question which will call upon members opinions and that's good. I hope some of you give me your input cause I really need it.

I have been using an older iPad I had around the house for the DJI Go and Fly Litchi apps and besides having my share of crashes :), I am finding it really hard to see the apps when I am in sun lit areas even if I use a hood (which I built myself from cardboard). So, question is, what do you people use and do you have any recommendations cause iPads are sucky for this outside kind of thang...

Thanks and best to you all,
Vinny

I, too got fed up with not being able to see the screen on iPads. So I bit the bullet and bought the crystal sky 7.85". I now have much more confidence while flying. Even without a hood it is so much better. Even extremely visible while wearing sunglasses.
Stay calm and safe.

Hi everyone, its been a while since I last posted and I hope that all of you members and your families are safe from this virus *** we've found ourselves in...

I have a general question which will call upon members opinions and that's good. I hope some of you give me your input cause I really need it.

I have been using an older iPad I had around the house for the DJI Go and Fly Litchi apps and besides having my share of crashes :), I am finding it really hard to see the apps when I am in sun lit areas even if I use a hood (which I built myself from cardboard). So, question is, what do you people use and do you have any recommendations cause iPads are sucky for this outside kind of thang...

Vinny
I have some Fat Shark goggles but rarely use them. I tend to get nervous when I lose the whole situational awareness thing.

I would suggest dark clothing and a big hat. Paint the underside of the brim black if you want to. But the best solution I have found is a Hoodman monitor hood. Designed for brodcasters to use in the field to view their monitors, it takes the sunshade to the next level. A bit bulky, but the view is perfect and I can easily look up or around if I need to do. At around $75, it's literally one tenth of the price of CrystalSky 7.85" High Brightness monitor from DJI.

I have all three including the Crystal sky Ultra.
If you can find shade the ipad mini is good because of it's light weight
In bright sun or really any condition the crystal sky can't be beat. However, it's heavy after three batteries, so a tripod is essential
In the end, the goggles are my most preferred device for viewing. The immersive feel is remarkable. There is the issue of situational vulnerability. However, if you seek out more or less isolate areas for flying then you won't be bothered. With the goggles I feel as if I've had an experience. With all others the focus (no pun intended) is on capturing video and or pictures.

Reactions: MTO and Jim Canada
Thanks for your comments people. I appreciate the input. Seems like I am going to try a hood first. I shoot real estate photography/videography so, goggles probably won't work for me and I checked at DJI and I think the cost of the Crystal Sky monitor(s) and all the extras you have to buy like a mount for your remote controller is just overly expensive for me. I actually built a hood out of cardboard which seems to have done the trick for now. Perhaps a Hoodman hood will do the trick.

Thanks again,
Vinny

Thanks for your comments people. I appreciate the input. Seems like I am going to try a hood first. I shoot real estate photography/videography so, goggles probably won't work for me and I checked at DJI and I think the cost of the Crystal Sky monitor(s) and all the extras you have to buy like a mount for your remote controller is just overly expensive for me. I actually built a hood out of cardboard which seems to have done the trick for now. Perhaps a Hoodman hood will do the trick.

Thanks again,
Vinny
I think you'll be pleased. And less expensive than I thought; around $35. Be sure the kit includes the extender.
1586352584830.png

Vinny

Since I bought my crystal sky monitors 7.85 and 5.5 I never looked back to iPads or any other tablet.I also have the dji googles RE and I’m also very happy.

The same issue with me until I changed to the P4P+ (build in screen, very bright). Since then I haven't any problems even in bright sun. Of course it is better if you can stand in the shade. Sun shields are OK but very unpractical and distract your direct view to the drone.
And yes! Ware black suits. At bright reflex of your shirt diminish the picture on your display.
I would absolutely chose a bright display before anything else.

Vinny

For serious cinematic work or any work where composition is important, I use my FatShark™ goggles. For everything else I use the iPad. It's super easy to keep the thing in the shade. I don't even use one of those sun shield things.

Re: Crystal Sky...

I see too many complaints in the forums to invest in a Crystal Sky system.

Pro Tip: Not all apps seem to translate telemetry data accurately. Because the goggles are getting a feed directly from the DJI controller, the telemetry data is always accurate.

D

I agree.
Although the problem with googles is the direct view to the drone and this is very critical in some circumstances.
As I've said the best universal solution is very bright display. I'm very satisfied with my build in display. As a matter of fact I bought the Phantom P4+ mostly because of that. Before I had a P3A and most of the time I could see nothing on the display in bright daylight. And sometimes you can't get the shade at all.

Even though I have multiple options, if it were not for the goggles, I doubt I would fly a drone anymore.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31