iPad Suggestions??

Don't waist you time with android stick with what everyone is trying to tell you, Apple products are the best, no questions. Save money and do yourself a favor and find Mini 2 with wifi and cellular

iPad Pro iPad Air just goofy looking with that huge screen, doesn't fit properly, makes the controller feel bulky and clumsy. If you have good eyesight then iPad mini 2 , 3 or 4 will be all that you need.

I pad Mini 2. Love it. No problems what so ever.
I also have used an iPad Mini2 for 18mos to fly my P3P, no problems...... except in temps over 90F. The A7 CPU in the Mini2 will overheat, even with no case installed. It runs much hotter than the A8 CPU in the Mini4, which provide a more advance architecture for decoding H.264 video streams. Decoding video is no trivial task, it's a lot of work for a processor, consuming lots of power that creates lots of heat in older architectures (A7). The overheating symptom is the video feed will break up and you'll lose your FPV view, until it cools down. If your craft is beyond VLOS when this happens you'll need to enable RTH to get the craft back within VLOS, at which time you can cancel RTH, take back control and land with VLOS.

The Mini 3 has the same A7, so I suggest the Mini4 if you live in a warm climate, otherwise you may find yourself flying from inside the car with the motor and air conditioning running, like I have resorted to on hot days above 90F. With my P4 I use the Air2 which uses the A8 CPU, it has never overheated.

Last edited:
I also have used an iPad Mini2 for 18mos to fly my P3P, no problems...... except in temps over 90F. The A7 CPU in the Mini2 will overheat, even with no case installed. It runs much hotter than the A8 CPU in the Mini4, which provide a more advance architecture for decoding H.264 video streams. Decoding video is no trivial task, it's a lot of work for a processor, consuming lots of power that creates lots of heat in older architectures (A7). The overheating symptom is the video feed will break up and you'll lose your FPV view, until it cools down. If it's beyond VLOS when this happens you'll need to enable RTH to get the craft back within VLOS, at which time you can cancel RTH, take back control and land with VLOS.

The Mini 3 has the same A7, so I suggest the Mini4 if you live in a warm climate, otherwise you may find yourself flying from inside the car with the motor and air conditioning running, like I have resorted to on hot days above 90F. With my P4 I use the Air2 which uses the A8 CPU, it has never overheated.

Heat not a problem, well, maybe the lack of it.:D

iPad Pro iPad Air just goofy looking with that huge screen, doesn't fit properly, makes the controller feel bulky and clumsy. If you have good eyesight then iPad mini 2 , 3 or 4 will be all that you need.

The iPad Pro 9.7 fits perfectly and is not bulky. The high definition, anti-glare screen is hands down better than any other iPad model.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

2555cd8ad8a2811fdf290e00cdc0bc9b.jpg

With my eye sight, I need as big a screen as can carry. I use the air2 with the Otter case still attached, too much trouble to take it out, plus I had to attach thin strips of Velcro around edge of it to attach sun screen. Air2 has a lot of glare, I attach my sun screens top and bottom. Pic shows extension installed on tablet mount needed to fit with Otter case, along with installing a little lip piece on bottom and top jaw to secure case. Also replaced the tablet mount screw with a finger adjustable one, makes for quick setup out of the backpack. This setup is a little heavier leaving the Otter case on, but using a wide camera strap works for me. Also tapped in a stop screw to tablet bracket for good measure to keep tablet from going any further forward. Looking at what I need next to go to iPad 12 pro, back to the garage.

The iPad Pro 9.7 fits perfectly and is not bulky. The high definition, anti-glare screen is hands down better than any other iPad model.

The pro the highest spec iPad, no question.

While the screen has a wider colour gamat the resolution is identical to the Air. It's the same size and weight. If it's primary use is a companion to the DJI remote there is no benefit. Four speakers, Apple Pencil etc add cost not performance benefit. I have both and see no advantages with the pro in this application.

I have purchased at Christmas a mini ipad 2 and it works amazing. Rock solid and Im not an ipad man. Would not consider flying with my Samsung ever again......too much lag and tranmission issues.

Sent from my SM-G930F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just got a P4 and don't like using my phone for flying....no idea what might happen if I get a phone call while I'm in the middle of some heavy drone action...plus I have to take it out of the case everytime I fly.

I am considering getting an iPad Mini 2 with A7 processor since it is going to be single purpose.

Anyone have any other suggestions, experience (good or bad)?

- Fish
I bought an Air 2 last fall and it is doing a great job. Fits the RC and usually does not require
light shield.

I went into the AT&T store today and with the purchase of an iPhone 7 they are running a deal now or you get a free iPad mini 2!! Was completely shocked at the deal. Going back tomorrow to get it. Hopefully some of you guys can get the deal too!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Fancher9-76
I picked up like new in the box IPad mini 2 wifi,cellular type with original accessories for 117.00. From the bay
I picked up like new in the box IPad mini 2 wifi,cellular type with original accessories for 117.00. From the bay

Awesome. I've watched a few but none with prices that good. I kept on looking at the Ipad mini 2 online at Best Buy and Walmart but after checking them out I decided to go with the Ipad Air 2.

Reactions: Fancher9-76

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72