iPad Pro

Does anyone know if you have to still get the cellular version for the built in gps or do the wifi models now have gps built in on the pro models?
The Wi-Fi only model does not come with GPS.

The Wi-Fi only model does not come with GPS.
However, you can pair any WiFi only iOS device with an external Blue Tooth GPS device, and use it for GPS, instead, with full DJI Go functionality. External BT GPS devices range in price from $99-$300 depending upon features, and are very useful independently, too. Real pilots also generally use WiFi only iPads paired with an external BT GPS.

Reactions: Oso
Here is a great sunshade and mount for the iPad Pro 12.9". It's also available in the 9.7 and the mini.

Order at www.aerialdroneaccessories.com
At $117, it better be good!;)
After having tried even the smaller 9.7" iPadPro, I prefer the smaller iPad Mini 4, which can still easily fit into the stock tablet holder with a slim case on it, as well as into the P4 hardshell tortoise backpack, without needing to pull the styrofoam out of the lid, and it also takes a lightweight SunHat sunshade, if needed! Adding all the additional weight of your sunshade and mount will make the RC unwieldy, and make you yearn for a tripod! It has it's place. Just not in my kit! :cool:

Concerning weight and it being unwieldy, I thought that as well when my customers asked for the iPad Pro 12.9" but it is simply not true. It is very sturdy as attested too from one of my customers on this thread concerning this same sunshade - The iPad Pro 12.9" - LOVING IT!.

As far as price goes all of the Master Series Sunshades are worth the price. They are hand crafted and guaranteed to satisfy. There is no comparing these to the cloth and fabric sunshades that are out there. They are made to be used on professional sets when you got a DP staring over your shoulder.
Not meaning to rain on your parade, but it is decidedly a matter of personal preference, not an absolute. Unwieldy does not mean unsturdy. The iPadPro, whether 9.7" or 12.9", is awkwardly large for the RC, while the iPad Mini 4 is the perfect size, as attested to, by several of our veteran users coming from the Air 2, including myself. Part of its appeal is its light weight, which would ruined by your fancy $99 contraption.

I don't have too many DP's staring over my shoulder, and I doubt many of our other users do, either. So, while there may be a market for your $117 shade on an iPadPro, it likely isn't among us. Keeping that contraption mounted onto your tablet renders the tablet essentially useless for any other use, and it certainly won't fit in any drone case I own. The PadHat is lightweight, fully functional, and perfect for the Mini 4, at less than one third of the price of yours.

You would be surprised at how many in this market prefer a professional shade to the pad hat.

I'm not sure about your statement saying that my contraption would render the tablet useless. The tablet slides in and out. It is one bolt to release and collapses down very nicely. The one for the mini can be mounted to the stock DJI phantom transmitter tray and weighs a little over 8 ounces. While the one for the iPad Air and the iPad Pro 9.7 can fit into the tray as well without the need for our mount and it weighs right around 13 ounces.
I confess I am intrigued by your description. :cool: My Mini 4 stays permanently in a slimline case that fits it like a tight glove, making it very difficult to remove. Will your "contraption" (for want of a better word---no aspersions intended) allow a Mini 4, already inside a slimline case, to still slide in and out of it, or will it only fit a Mini 4 without any case? If a Mini 4 inside a slimline case can still be slid in and out, I might be interested in trying one for myself. I use the Khömö Slimline Mini 4 case from khomoaccessories.com which I purchased from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014RK8KQY
With the 5 ounce Khömö slimline case on it, my 10 ounce Mini 4 already weighs 15 ounces total, so adding "a little over 8 ounces" will add over 55% more weight total, while the PadHat weighs only 1.6 ounces, or 11% more weight. Huge difference! My main reason for rejecting the 9.7" iPad Pro, which already weighs 15.6 ounces naked, was that the same Khömö case for it added 6.8 ounces to the weight, for a total of 22.4 ounces. Adding 13 more ounces to that 22.4 ounces for your "contraption", would really require wearing a transmitter tray, as now we are up to 36 ounces or 2.25 pounds just for the 9.7" iPad Pro with a shade! 15 ounces total is the comfortable limit for holding any iPad in my hand and typing on it. Mini 4 in the slimline case fits this bill, as does the iPadPro with no protective case. 15-17 ounces in the transmitter tray, including the PadHat, is not unwieldy nor too heavy. I use a naked iPad Air 2 in the tray for all my P3P's, and the Mini 4 in the slimline case for my P4. They both weigh the same. The fold-up cardboard 9.7" sunshades only weigh 8 ounces, but they also make the transmitter unwieldy for me. A black cloth over your head and the tablet, like early photographers used, to focus and the old view cameras, is really the best tablet sunshade, but attracts too much attention, and invites muggers! :eek: A golf umbrella over the shoulder is another cheap solution.

Last edited:
I was uncertain if the iPad 9.7" was too big but I like it. It fits perfectly to the stock holder and removing the magnetic smart cover takes no time.

I prefer to have a big screen to prevent sloppy finger-related errors while flying or while making Litchi missions. With some presbyopia a big screen also prevents expensive errors.

A black cloth over your head and the screen is better than any sun shield and very portable. One size fits all! :cool:
Same like my friend to do!

Attachments

• IMAG0368.jpg
    IMAG0368.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 294
Lol. I bet you are a hoot to hang with. o_O

To answer your question it will not work with your slimline case. It is made to exact specifications both in thickness and width. We allow about 2mm clearance on thickness. As well as about 2mm on the sides.
I think so! :D

That's unfortunate, but not surprising. Your "contraption" has to hold it securely in all circumstances to be effective, just like my slimline case, which has no tolerance at all, making it very effective, but essentially a permanent installation. Fortunately, my installed slimline Mini 4 case still allows the Mini 4 to mount securely into the RC tablet holder, and also attach the 1.5 ounce PadHat sunshade, if needed. In all candor, 95% of my drone flying is just before sunset, where the sunglare on the screen is nonexistent, so the PadHat hasn't seen much use. Thanks for the clarification. :cool:

To each their own! I went from the iPad mini solution to the air 2, and prefer it greatly over the mini. I don't find it unwieldy and really like the additional screen real estate.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

To each their own! I went from the iPad mini solution to the air 2, and prefer it greatly over the mini. I don't find it unwieldy and really like the additional screen real estate.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Indeed. I still use the Air 2 on the P3P's as a completely dedicated device, but find the Mini 4 to be much more practical for everyday use, where its size is much more ergonomic than the iPadPro, and as a traveling tablet in my backpack case for the P4. The portrait keyboard on the Mini 4 is so much easier to type on, because the keys are not so far apart. The minimized throw of a stylus makes typing very natural. The Mini 4 fits better in your hand and is much better balanced. However, for sheer screen real estate, and showing off your magnificent drone video productions, the larger Air 2 or 9.7" iPad Pro is hard to beat. Unfortunately, I don't find that Apple properly otherwise makes use of the extra screen real estate the way I want them to. They simply blow everything up, and make it bigger, including the keyboard. You still can't get rid of the left column in landscape mode in Mail, even though you can in Notes. The app icons are enlarged and cannot be made the same size as on the Mini to allow any more of them to appear on one screen than on the Mini 4. You still aren't allowed any more than 6 icons on the locked bottom row. Oh, well! :rolleyes:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20