iPad or iPhone - any difference?

Reaction score
Is there any difference between using the dji pilot app on the iphone vs the ipad?

Specific things I am looking for:
1. Is resolution the same?
2. Is app cpu/mem load the same ?
3. Do both heat equally ?
4. Are all features equal on both?

If any are different - please specify.
I am planning on mirorring the video to the moverio glasses so if the iPhone does not have any issues, I would prefer using it as it is smaller to carry. The only issue I saw so far is that the device holder does not work with an iphone...

Device holder does work with Iphone, there are two plastic tabs you must Flip up to allow the smaller device to sit.

You will like the larger view on Ipad.

Reactions: Foosy
Is there any difference between using the dji pilot app on the iphone vs the ipad?

I am planning on mirorring the video to the moverio glasses so if the iPhone does not have any issues, I would prefer using it as it is smaller to carry. The only issue I saw so far is that the device holder does not work with an iphone...
They are pretty much the same in my opinion. Just a bigger view with my iPad mini. The only thing I have noticed was when it tells me my home point has been recorded, with my iPad, I do not get the satellite view just the standard view. Do not know if I am not allowing enough time or I need to cache maps prior to taking out to the field.

Device holder does work with Iphone, there are two plastic tabs you must Flip up to allow the smaller device to sit.

You will like the larger view on Ipad.
Thanks! I learn something new everyday!
As to the view - I will actually be looking at the glasses, not the phone, so it's OK if it is small. On the glasses it is like looking at an 80" TV screen :)

Actually in the app store it's says " optimized for iPhones". Wonder if does make difference. Same question here.

I am looking at using an ipad mini. Can I use a ipad mini wifi only and use my iphone 6 to personal hotspot internet across to the ipad?

This question completely depends on which iPhone or iPad you are using. For the BEST app performance you need to be running either the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus or the iPad Air 2. The air 2 may have a slight edge over the iPhone 6 tho do to it having 2GB of RAM vs 1GB on the iPhone. It goes without saying that you will enjoy the FPV experience more on a larger display. If you want dynamic home point to work you need to use the Cellular model of the iPads. You will also see the least screen glare on the iPhone 6 / Plus. And iPad Air 2 and iPad Min 3. The iPad mini 2 3 and Original Air use the Apple A7 processor so you will see similar app performance on all of those devices. The iPhone 6 / Plus and iPad Air 2 use the A8 processor which of course is faster. The iPhone 6 Plus has a 1080p display vs the 6s slightly better than 720p display. The live feed tops at 720 so no need for the extra resolution tho of course the additional screen size and battery life of the iPhone 6 plus make it the better choice.

Reactions: Foosy
"If you want dynamic home point to work you need to use the Cellular model of the iPads"

Or non cellular ipad hooked up with personal hotspot to an iphone? Anyone doing that. Someone said earlier it works

The iPad display includes additional information that doesn't show up on your iPhone. You'll get both a map and bearing indicator displayed on opposite corners of the screen. You'll also get graphical representations of your vertical and horizontal speed, as well as attitude indicators showing how much your Phantom is pitched and banked.

I've noticed that I get better range when using my iPhone 6+ vs. my iPad Air, but not sure if that is coincidental to solar flare activity, or other atmospheric disturbances, as I haven't tried both during the same time--in any case, I suspect my iPad interferes with my antennas a little.

I tried both the iPad and the iPhone and found I liked the iPhone 6 plus better for it's brightness. I felt like it was much harder to see the iPad in bright situations FWIW

This question completely depends on which iPhone or iPad you are using. For the BEST app performance you need to be running either the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus or the iPad Air 2. The air 2 may have a slight edge over the iPhone 6 tho do to it having 2GB of RAM vs 1GB on the iPhone. It goes without saying that you will enjoy the FPV experience more on a larger display. If you want dynamic home point to work you need to use the Cellular model of the iPads. You will also see the least screen glare on the iPhone 6 / Plus. And iPad Air 2 and iPad Min 3. The iPad mini 2 3 and Original Air use the Apple A7 processor so you will see similar app performance on all of those devices. The iPhone 6 / Plus and iPad Air 2 use the A8 processor which of course is faster. The iPhone 6 Plus has a 1080p display vs the 6s slightly better than 720p display. The live feed tops at 720 so no need for the extra resolution tho of course the additional screen size and battery life of the iPhone 6 plus make it the better choice.

The Air 2 has the A8X processor. Has three cores instead of two. The iPhone 6 has the A8 which is two cores.

The overheating is a serious issue.
I flew twice at the same place the same day. Once around noon when it was hot, and once at 8:00pm. When it was hot, I got pixelated, breaking video. It was fluid later that day.
This is a serious issue. It is funny how with technology improvements, the bottleneck changes. With my p2v+, the issue was range, never video. I used to film in super hot days all the time. Now, I can't because the iPhone or iPad are overworked.

Tell me about it, I fly in 100+ degree weather and my iPhone 5s basically stays a black screen the whole time. If I sit in one spot for a minute I'll get a still frame eventually.

The overheating is a serious issue.
I flew twice at the same place the same day. Once around noon when it was hot, and once at 8:00pm. When it was hot, I got pixelated, breaking video. It was fluid later that day.
This is a serious issue. It is funny how with technology improvements, the bottleneck changes. With my p2v+, the issue was range, never video. I used to film in super hot days all the time. Now, I can't because the iPhone or iPad are overworked.

The p2v had far less demanding requirements than the Pilot app. Though that aside it comes down to poorly optimized coding. Hopefully in future releases of the app they will optimize and improve the code to address these issues.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic