iPAD Mini Overheating with Phantom 4 Pro

Since last update of DJI Go 4, my ipad mini 4 is not receiving well video signal, even flying very close to remote controller. I think it is not an issue of overheating, because before update everything went super smooth and well.
The iPad mini was really also overheating, and I think that this is not only due to the summertime temperatures we are experiencing these days

Last edited:
I fkew my P4 last Saturday in two different locations separated 70km and experiencing really bad transmissions. This is disregarding airplane setting or normal 4G. Today I have flown in an aeroclub 200km away, in the middle of countryside, and it is been a horrible experience to loose video signal at every moment, disregarding also distance.
As I said before, this is happening since last update few days ago.

I don't notice any significant heating with my Mini 4 and the current GO app. Be curious as to what your system status shows for cpu usage when fully connected.

I'm also losing video signal flying at random distances (near and far) with an P4 and iPad Mini 3. Just stated happening after the recent DJI app update. Also happening when using Litchi but doesn't seem as often. Haven't felt the back of the iPad but will next flight! Anyone tried reapplying P4 firmware or rebuilding iPad with success? May be what I try next...

Firmware update for the controller seems to have solved losing video signal. Haven't been able to test flight due to rain but initial tests inside at a range it was cutting out before look promising!

I just upgraded from P4 to P4P
I also bought a new iPad mini 4
I live in Texas and it happens within the first few minutes (less than 5) on both iPhone 7 plus and iPad mini 4. It's so bad I'm afraid I'm going to crash. I have tested both devices at night and I can fly thru several batteries no problem. It has to be the hot temps during the day. But i didn't have the same problem with an older iPad mini 4 and my old P4. The video on the SD card is clear but the shots aren't the best because the view is interrupted when flying. Why have a drone you can't fly during the day in the summer. DJI please weigh in. Thanks.

Do you have a cover to protect the back. Remove it is so and avoid exposing directly to the sun if possible.

Maybe there is some other app/process running in background that would contribute to higher CPU usage. Typically set to Airplane mode before flying to see if any improvement.

Also last GO app 4.1.3 has been just released but there are no details about the fixes so you'll have to see yourself if solves your issue.

Last edited:
Just had the same problem with my p4p and mini 4 cellular. There doesn't really seem to be any viable solutions out there to this problem! I guess I'll contact dji directly...

Xnaut has an iPad Cooling solution that is compatible with the DJI mobile device holder for Phantom and Inspire controller.

I have a iPad mini 4 6 months old. I have the same problem, I live in Fl. My video also blanks out, it doesn't effect the quality of pic. I blame it on heat and 16 memory. Anyone with 32 or more having this problem.

iPad mini 4 with 128g. Just experienced this the other day. Not a fan of that at all. This XNaut solution-anyone use it and verify that the controller can hold it securely?
Currently just have a screen protector on front, no case-living dangerously :)

i have a P4P and today after several batteries and charging my iphone 7+ with a ipad charger a couple times and being in a otterbox and with 100 degree heat i got the high CPU usage error. I am convinced it is a heat issue and not a software issue.

I have flown this afternoon in a field near Madrid (Spain). Temperature was 103 F (39 C). I connected the iPad mini4 with no cover, and was flying from a shadowy spot. The video transmission was horrible, even selecting 1980 video, airplane mode (I have flown more than 200 batteries before with 4G mobile network and the same iPad mini4) and manually selecting one video channel instead of auto mode. No way to be able to see anything live from the camera but green or black screens!
A friend let me try his iPad mini 2, but no way to ameliorate...
After this, and while in flight, he disconnected the iPad from the RC and connected his small (4 inch screen) Android phone with Litchi application on: Like in a miracle, we could see there was a perfect video feed on real time! I tested it during a couple of minutes and decided to land the P4 with a 32% battery. Battery temperature was 68 Celsius (155 Farenheit), but motors were not that hot.
Waiting until sunset at 21:45 local time, with ambient temperature down to 32C (90 Farenheit) I tried again my very sane iPad mini 4 with a new battery and everything went well: no problems at all with the video transmission, as in 'old times'. I was able then to demo the new modes (Draw, Tripod, Terrain following, etc) and see everything as expected on the iPad screen.
It seems, then, that in my case it is a temperature problem. I said earlies in this post that could be a firmware update problem, but probably the bottom cause is the internally generated heat. Maybe not only in the iPad, but in remote controller as well. I do not remember experiencing as many video problems last summer at similar temperatures, but again, the new updates and their need for more calculations might worsen the problem today. Hipe rhis can be of some use to some of you.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl