iPAD Mini Overheating with Phantom 4 Pro

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced a problem with their iPAD Mini overheating and causing issues with their video being relayed properly to the iPAD itself? (This is during flight that you are watching on your device on the remote control).

This has happened on a few different occasions. This isn't an issue with the drone, it is an issue with the iPAD getting too hot that it can't work properly.

There was a recent update to the software on the iPAD and I don't recall it doing this before. Mine is iPAD Mini v2 and is overheating, and now I can only fly it for about 30 minutes (until I cool it, whether it be A/C in my car or cold granite counter tops at my parents house)?

Is there an update someone knows or any other solution? Not sure what to do with this other than using my iPhone.

Responses are greatly appreciated...

This has happened to my iPad Mini 2 when flying in ~90 F temperatures. What's the weather like where you're flying?

It really wasn't that hot. I'd say maybe 79' F. Nothing to be worried about... I wonder if the app update on the iPAD is killing the processor and causing it to heat up?

Does anyone use this with a DROID device? (Don't get me wrong, I love my Apple devices).

I may try it with my iPhone but it still seems a little strange to me...

You could fry an egg on the back of my iPAD mini once I figured out what was going on.

Is your iPad Mini in a case? If so, removing it should help prevent it from overheating.

It was not... It's done it a few times now. I've never flown my drone with my iPad in the case. I'm starting to wonder if I may have a problem with my particular iPad?

I was hoping someone else may have some input with the same issue.

UGH... Not sure what to do about this other than try my iPhone instead as a controller and see what happens. o_O

It very well could be an Apple issue with my particular device. I didn't have this problem before the update from DJI. There were also some updates from Apple that got applied as well.

I just saw a post where some guy put a damp cloth over his iPad (WTF??) . Not doing that...

I think this is most definitely an iPAD issue and I will see what I can figure out...

I use an iPhone 6+ that gets pretty hot in anything over 25C. Lot of work going on processing all the flight info in the app I guess and you need to make sure all the other apps are shut down, auto updates etc is turned off. Litchi sent me an email advising me to run my device in airplane mode to prevent unwanted data transmission during pano mode, and the device certainly runs a bit cooler since I have tried that.

I am using several iPads with Phantom 3's and 4's and the overheat issue is driving me crazy. Live in south Florida. By the second battery, it is glitching horribly. Now using a second screen attached to HDMI out and flying off that screen once it starts glitching. Very frustrating.

Would fat shark goggles solve the issue ? You also avoid dim screen in bright sunlight

It very well could be an Apple issue with my particular device. I didn't have this problem before the update from DJI. There were also some updates from Apple that got applied as well.

Go in Settings, Battery, and check which app is eating CPU. Just in case you got another one running in background at the same time.

Tip: full device recharge does reset battery stats.

The ipad mini should never get that hot sounds like something is drawing on the battery hard what I would do is connect it to itunes on you mac /pc and restore setup as a new ipad / phone not put any backups on there if the problem stil persists then I would go to the apple store and see what they have to say.

Reactions: RémyHeli
Yes must be iOS is you don't find any particular app eating CPU in background. Per example in the past we experienced some account login issues after iOS update, causing abnormal battery drain, long lasting high CPU usage being typical main cause of overheating.

Tip to resolve was to logoff/logon once from iCloud/iTunes/AppStore.

Last edited:
Not sure if you got cellular model but check out if your device is setup to synch medias to iCloud, in particular if you download vids from craft sdcard.

Major tip: set device to Airplane mode before flying

I use an iPad Air 2, and it has been very solid. The only issue that I had once was a warning that it was too cold to safely operate, and in its defense, the OAT was around 25 degrees F.

Some folk suggest doing a fresh restart of the device prior to flight, and probably what this really does is close any apps that are opened and running in the background. I just close all other apps manually and reboot now and then. I don't want any other app(s) competing for processor resources, as this is something that can most certainly result in overheating.

Reactions: RémyHeli

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20