iPad Mini 4 = Weak Uplink

Reaction score
Is it possible that an iPad could interfere somehow with the quality of the uplink signal? Once again, today, I performed back to back tests using both iPad and S6 Galaxy mobiles. The same location and remote controller was used for all tests.

First test was a litchi mission to test range. When using the iPad I started losing RC signal at around 350-400m and permanently lost at 520m. The exact same test using the android S6 and never lost signal once during the 720M long mission.

The 2nd test was using DJI Go app. iPad lost connection at 300 and RTH kicked in. I did mange to eventually nurse the drone to a bit short of 500m with multiple disconnects in between. Using the S6 I flew the drone without one disconnect until I hit 956m.

The 3rd test involved a long (16 minutes) Litchi mission. iPad version lost connection at 700m. It didnt come back till the drone was less than 400m from home. The S6 version didnt lose connection until it hit 1412m. Connection was restored around 1330M.

This is not the first time I have been performing these tests. Today was simply to confirm (or duplicate) similar problems in the past. Regardless of where I fly, I can say without reservation that my range when using the iPad is nearly cut in half. How can this be?? I totally understand the neither mobiles actually send the signal to the drone. I am left to wonder though could the iPad itself in some what or another interfere with the RC signal?

Yes, my iPad has Cellular and yes iI have tried test with it on and off. No difference :(

If you are running two separate apps on both devices, are the transmission settings the same? Channel setting and transmission bit rate? I run a clean custom channel and bit rate is set to 4 Mbps with no problems on my apple device.

If you are running two separate apps on both devices, are the transmission settings the same? Channel setting and transmission bit rate? I run a clean custom channel and bit rate is set to 4 Mbps with no problems on my apple device.
???
which app?where are these setting?

???
which app?where are these setting?
I was referring to you having the dji app (for example) on both your devices and comparing the settings to see if they are identical. You can change the channel and image transmission settings in the camera view on the app, hit the three dots in the right hand corner, scroll down to HD and you will see the channel and transmission settings. In my case I use Custom channel 20 and lower the transmission rate to 4 Mbps and only occasionally lose video transmission when way out from home wherein the past I would lose it all the time. Am I reading your concerns correctly, you are losing video and not full control signal loss?

No problems at all with video.. Still solid at 1400M out . Its the uplink that's the problem. If I don't use missions the use of the iPad is useless. RTH kicks in so fast I am lucky if I can make 500m. But like I said above, Android I get at least double that distance before RTH kicks in.

No problems at all with video.. Still solid at 1400M out . Its the uplink that's the problem. If I don't use missions the use of the iPad is useless. RTH kicks in so fast I am lucky if I can make 500m. But like I said above, Android I get at least double that distance before RTH kicks in.
Is your iPad a current unit that is listed in the 'recommended' DJI list? And nothing running in the background to crap out the dji app? I use an iPhone 6+ which is on that list, shutdown everything that may be running in the background and am only limited by the battery, way in excess of 1400M using both Litchi and the go4 app.
Best Tablets/Phones for DJI GO | Phantom Help

Is your iPad a current unit that is listed in the 'recommended' DJI list?
32gb iPad Mini 4 with Cellular. Recommended and Approved.. ;)

I always shutdown everything when I run either Litchi or Dji-Go. I am currently creating a video that shows 4 videos (2 iPad, 2 Android) of a mission. Using Dashware gauges on each video I can compare parameters such as signal strength, gimbal pitch, etc. The results clearly shows that each iPad video disconnects very early on in the mission at which point gimbal no longer focuses on each of the set POI.

Here are 4 videos in 1. I was using an ipad for the 2 on the left, android for the 2 on the right. Look at the "Uplink Signal" parameter of each video. Note the iPad drop off very shorthly into the mission and dont come back till the drone is less than 300M from Home. Android uplink signal does at times drop but for most part stays up pretty consistent throughout the entire mission

Hi again, just saw your video on another thread and understand what is happening now. I have no idea why that would happen as once the mission is loaded, the drone does the rest even if you threw the device in the bin. As long as your antenna orientation is identical in each of those missions, I can't see how your device could influence the signal, after you have made all your settings, it's only displaying what your AC/RC is doing.
There must be some smarter people out there than I, maybe @Meta4 or @With The Birds?

Last edited:
Hi again, just saw your video on another thread and understand what is happening now. I have no idea why that would happen as once the mission is loaded, the drone does the rest even if you threw the device in the bin. As long as your antenna orientation is identical in each of those missions, I can't see how your device could influence the signal, after you have made all your settings, it's only displaying what your AC/RC is doing.
There must be some smarter people out there than I, maybe @Meta4 or @With The Birds?

Yeah I dont think it has to do with the drone software because, like you say, it does not directly influence/interfere with the signal. My suspicion is the iPad device (HW) (or the iOs SW) its self? Is it in some ways interfering with the signal between the drone and the RC. For example, there is a wifi connection between the mobile and the RC. In the case of iPad/iOS is this wifi signal in some ways interfering with the uplink signal. Bottomline is I know that my iPad is sitting on my desk most days as I just cant reply on when flying my drone. Beats me why :( Hope to get others input because using this mini S6 screen vs my beautiful iPad screen is sad indeed

Yeah I dont think it has to do with the drone software because, like you say, it does not directly influence/interfere with the signal. My suspicion is the iPad device (HW) (or the iOs SW) its self? Is it in some ways interfering with the signal between the drone and the RC. For example, there is a wifi connection between the mobile and the RC. In the case of iPad/iOS is this wifi signal in some ways interfering with the uplink signal. Bottomline is I know that my iPad is sitting on my desk most days as I just cant reply on when flying my drone. Beats me why :( Hope to get others input because using this mini S6 screen vs my beautiful iPad screen is sad indeed
Hopefully one of the clever folk on here can have a look. I always update to the latest iOS on my device, maybe try that and run your iPad in airplane mode? Your iPad is not physically interfering with the antenna signal or orientation.
Just chucking it out there.....

You can change the channel and image transmission settings in the camera view on the app, hit the three dots in the right hand corner, scroll down to HD and you will see the channel and transmission settings.

I can only choose between 2.4 and 5.8.
AUTO is preset, MANUAL is greyed out. Language of my system is English. iPad Mini 4.
Any idea why I can't change the setting? I have the most recent iOS app and firmware for my P4P.
I'm looking for improvement since after the latest Go4 update transmission is bumpy.

I can only choose between 2.4 and 5.8.
AUTO is preset, MANUAL is greyed out. Language of my system is English. iPad Mini 4.
Any idea why I can't change the setting? I have the most recent iOS app and firmware for my P4P.
I'm looking for improvement since after the latest Go4 update transmission is bumpy.
I'm using the latest iOS go4 app with my P4, and assuming you can see the same menu on your P4P, you need to be powered up and connected to see it, change it and to save it. After the latest FW update, I had to go back i to the app and manually reset my settings, but it's definitely there.

Reactions: MaxHam
Have u tried wiping all the WiFi signals from the ipad ..I mean where are you flying the phantom from..your backyard..... and the ipads defaulting to the WiFi signal from your router...so it's losing signal..... mines does this if I'm at home....but it's OK in the field away from any signals that might interfere with it

Reactions: MaxHam
Thanks - I'm at home having the AC switched on and connected.
No matter if Wifi on the iPad is on or off. I still can't change to MANUAL.
I will need to see how it is out in the open.

Couldn't fly in the last days as I'm living in the center of the G20 war zone Hamburg.
We have a 30mile NFZ around Hamburg from Thursday until today.

Thanks - I'm at home having the AC switched on and connected.
No matter if Wifi on the iPad is on or off. I still can't change to MANUAL.
I will need to see how it is out in the open.

Couldn't fly in the last days as I'm living in the center of the G20 war zone Hamburg.
We have a 30mile NFZ around Hamburg from Thursday until today.
Forgive me if I misunderstood your problems and the jest of your posts above,but this topic/thread is not related to loss of image signal but rather uplink (RC control) problems. If you are having problems with image transmission, please consider starting a new thread.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl