iPad mini 4 and GPS

If you have a Wi-Fi only iPad, it does not contain a GPS receiver. You'll need to attach some type of external GPS receiver like the Garmin GLO (or one of these).

With GPS, you'll be able to reset the home point to your current location (if you move away from the original home point) or use the Follow Me flight mode. Not using those features? Then, you probably don't need GPS on your mobile device.

If you have a Wi-Fi only iPad, it does not contain a GPS receiver. You'll need to attach some type of external GPS receiver like the Garmin GLO (or one of these).

With GPS, you'll be able to reset the home point to your current location (if you move away from the original home point) or use the Follow Me flight mode. Not using those features? Then, you probably don't need GPS on your mobile device.
I have a Garmin GLO, does it require an App or is it plug and Play?

I have an iPad mini 2 with cell, however it does not have enough processing power.
Video feed is scrambled. I have a mini 4 without cell that I want to use.

I have a mini 4 without cell that I want to use.
In case you are asking something ...
You don't need GPS in your iPad.

Your Phantom has a perfectly good GPS receiver and that's what it uses for nearly all flying features.
Follow me and resetting the home point to the current location of the controller are the only features that can use a GPS in your tablet. (and few flyers use those).
Follow me is old-tech and Active Track which uses optical tracking works much better anyway.

I assume DJI GO 4 will read the GPS once this happens
Yes, it's able to access the GPS location reported by the mobile device.

Just remember to load your maps for the area you’re flying in before you leave home. Then you have no need for Cell, on your tablet, in the field. iPad mini 4 without cellular works great, that’s what I use. Good luck

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20