iPad Mini 2 Lag due to overheating.....No More!

Reaction score
I'm sure many have experience the beautiful live HD stream to your iPad Mini 2. You know, the one that last for about 8 minutes before the iPad starts to heat up and the video signal goes to hell?

On a hunch I tried something today.
• I took 2 paper towels
• folded them down the exact dimensions of my iPad mini
• Dampened with water (DAMP not soaked)
• Placed the folded square into the sun shield cavity where the iPad lays flat
• Placed the iPad on top of the damp paper towel, plugged it in and flew.

The damp paper towel kept the iPad cool for 2 full battery flights standing in the sun!
The open back of my home made sun shield combined with the damp towel behind the iPad allowed natural airflow to constantly cool it. (Keep in mind for me the lag usually starts around 8 minutes.) At the end of 2 full bats It had just begun to lag. Nothing major. I landed and popped in bat 3. I dampened the paper towel a little more as it was drying out. Wiped the back of the iPad with the damp towel in the open air for about 60 seconds which quickly cooled it. Flew the 3rd full bat with no lag. Yes it's sort of a half a** way of doing things but what a pleasure to have real time HD for 3 battery flights...in the sun.

Do this at your own risk. At this stage with the P3, battery's, filters, iPad Mini and a case I can't afford to buy anything else much less replace someone else's water logged iPad.

Last edited:
Reactions: outlaw704
Orrrr I found if you reduce the video quality down to 720 x 60fps, and not absolutely imperative that you record at the higher resolution, you should be good to go with minimal lag if any at that setting. Works for me anyway.
It was over 90 degrees today, and the higher resolution settings along with high outdoor temps do take its toll on the iPad mini 2, for sure.
I guess that was something DJI hadn't placed into the equation. Maybe the new f/w will help. Maybe not.

Last edited:
Frozen gel packs worked for me with a Mini 2 for a time until I just wanted to fly without the added stuff and with no sunshade.

Hows your iPad Mini 2 working now? Mine has horrible lag and latency of 4 seconds even though I'm keeping all the settings from this thread: HOW TO: Optimize Apple device for the best DJI Pilot app performance | DJI Phantom Forum
The Mini 2 worked for a time until I just wanted to fly without the added stuff and with no sunshade. I gave up on it and got an Air 2 a couple of months ago. The Air 2 works vastly better. No comparison at all. Now the Mini 2 normally just sits in a drawer uncharged, though I did take it with me on a quick trip to Asia where I am at the moment.

Reactions: JoBe
Must vary from ipad to ipad or what you have installed on it. I purposely bought my ipad mini 2 for my p3a and havent seen a lag or overheating but I do live in melbourne an its not exactly hot. Dji Go and phantom forums is only apps I have on it . But i do run airplane mode every flight.

The damp paper towel kept the iPad cool for 2 full battery flights standing in the sun!
The open back of my home made sun shield combined with the damp towel behind the iPad allowed natural airflow to constantly cool it.

I like this!

This technique worked very well for us on a recent trip where the temperatures exceeded 95F and humidity was over 90%. We were able to run over 60 flights on two P3's in four days with no lag.

However, in a very hot, very dry climate, Phoenix/Scottsdale for example, the moisture evaporates so quickly the cooling effect does not work as well. During the hot part of the day, even with this evaporative cooling technique, I get lag on my iPad Mini 2 after 8 to 10 minutes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic