Mini sundial...

Reaction score
Hey doods!

When I start any job, I face my car directly into the Sun. I do this is for a few reasons:

1) It allows my dashboard to be a battery warmer in the winter time.
2) It allows me to work in the shade of my hatch back.
3) The Sun naturally warms the car's interior.
4) The moving Sun sort of turns my car into a sort of sundial.

As you can tell from this photo, my car is no longer facing directly into the Sun. This shot was taken about 90 minutes into a 3-hour morning.

1614268594448.png

Because it's winter, I didn't mind standing in the Sunlight. But in the Summer time I actually make an effort to stay in the shade. If the shoot is long and hot enough, I'll reorient my car back into the direction of the Sun.

Hard to see is my 12.9" iPad:
1614268947599.png

What's kind of funny is that my car battery died, so I had to get a jump from one of the guys on the survey crew. Ironically, I had just purchased a pair of 2-Gauge jumper cables off Craigslist the night before (for 15 bucks!) and had thrown them in the Mini. So getting a jump start was quick and easy. New Duralast™ AGM battery; $215...<:^/ At least I won't have to worry about the battery for many years. I always buy the largest, most expensive battery that will fit my given vehicle. My car battery is one place I don't scrimp. I've never regretted that decision. But I digress....

Immediately following this mapping job, I high-tailed it North to Santa Fe for a Construction Progress job. (Note: Photo is a screen grab pre-processing).

1614269403536.png

Good money day!

D

Hey Harleydood,

Putting your batteries on the dash receiving direct sunlight is bad for the plastic. I would put them on the floor or seat away from direct sunlight. Don’t know how much shade or UV protection the window in your hatchback offers you. I would opt for a beach umbrella and foldable seat with a small cooler (summer time) for drinks and maybe a sandwich. No beers in cooler. You might also consider bringing some sunblock for protection from UV rays while trying to warm up under the sun.
Just heard recently about this product https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKUPI...abc_ZGZBTCKE7WN7XZ52GPE1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 maybe you can use to charge your drone batteries and get you out of trouble should your car battery die on you one day. Also, curious to know why you set up your controller that high.

Hey Harleydood,

Putting your batteries on the dash receiving direct sunlight is bad for the plastic.
I just put them up there long enough to warm them up....60 minutes or so.

I would put them on the floor or seat away from direct sunlight.
Well, it's the Sun that warms them. Putting them in the shade would defeat the purpose.

Don’t know how much shade or UV protection the window in your hatchback offers you.
It's heavily tinted plus I cover the window with the suitcase used to hold all the RAM mounting hardware. So, essentially 100% UV protection.

I would opt for a beach umbrella and foldable seat with a small cooler (summer time) for drinks and maybe a sandwich.
Hehe....well....If I ever map "happy hour," you can bet I'll take that route....<;^)

No beers in cooler. You might also consider bringing some sunblock for protection from UV rays while trying to warm up under the sun.
I'm pretty much in the shade throughout my entire flights. Even if I wish to physically stand in the Sun, I don't because I'm a slave to the iPad, which must stay in the shade.

Just heard recently about this product https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKUPI...abc_ZGZBTCKE7WN7XZ52GPE1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 maybe you can use to charge your drone batteries and get you out of trouble should your car battery die on you one day.
The car battery died because it was an old battery that needed replacing. It has been replaced with a 70Ah 750 cold cranking amp AGL battery. The car battery will no longer be a problem.

Also, curious to know why you set up your controller that high.
In general; Better reception. More specifically, it keeps the signal above the car.

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav