iPad Air vs iPad Air 2 for P3

Reaction score
I think I may be asking a question that's otherwise covered in a variety of places, but the recent information seems a bit confusing and I wanted to get some clarification.

If I'm right, the following are true:

- The chips are different, A7 on the Air, A8x on the Air 2 - the speed should be 40% faster on the A8x in general.

- Both are officially supported by DJI

- On the Air (A7), you should turn ON hardware acceleration. On the Air 2 (A8x) you should not turn on hardware acceleration

I need to upgrade my iPad (that I use for work every day all day) and would prefer to upgrade to the Air 2, but if the Air is more stable or works better with the P3 because of the hardware acceleration issue, I could go with that.

Any suggestions? Am I right about the acceleration issue above?

Thanks!
Chris

Reactions: 2k3sgm
I think I may be asking a question that's otherwise covered in a variety of places, but the recent information seems a bit confusing and I wanted to get some clarification.

If I'm right, the following are true:

- The chips are different, A7 on the Air, A8x on the Air 2 - the speed should be 40% faster on the A8x in general.

- Both are officially supported by DJI

- On the Air (A7), you should turn ON hardware acceleration. On the Air 2 (A8x) you should not turn on hardware acceleration

I need to upgrade my iPad (that I use for work every day all day) and would prefer to upgrade to the Air 2, but if the Air is more stable or works better with the P3 because of the hardware acceleration issue, I could go with that.

Any suggestions? Am I right about the acceleration issue above?

Thanks!
Chris
Yes, you've pretty much summed it up.

For reference:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2384430&page=538&highlight=A7#post31546694

I can't find the exact beginning of the A7 vs A8x convo in that thread (20-30 new pages a day!), but here's a comment from blade strike on the matter:

...when you disable GPU hardware decode it does not reboot the device. A7 devices work great with hardware decoding.

By the way I have heard some other intense GPU apps having issues with the A8 GPU as well.

I've seen another DJI rep (Ed maybe?) state that you should always have it on for the A7, and up to you on the A8. Can't find that comment specifically, sorry. Just pulling from memory.

HTH

Ah ha, sorry didn't really read the link. I guess I should leave that off for my iPhone 6 then huh

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20