Invalid Battery on Phantom Vision..Advice needed.

Reaction score
Hi
I had exactly this problem I also crashed my phantom on its first flight and was very lucky to retrieve it. I subsequently would get this as an intermittent fault at any time whilst sitting on the bench.
DJI said the problem is that the small pin type battery connectors needed cleaning.
I have my doubts and believe there is a problem on the battery logic board as have cleaned contacts and still get intermittent fault . If it is a contacter problem this is not good as your phantom could loose power at any time with power in the battery connected via the big connectors but the logic not allowing that power to be used.
I have no confidence to fly my phantom Vision again as I never know when that tenuous link will break.
I have returned the phantom Vision for a refund I will Carry on flying my old phantom with IOC ( the vision does not have it) until the rest of you guys have completed DJI' s R&D for them.
A safer logic would be to keep main power supplied with this fault so that you had power to land.
The synical side of me thinks they have applied unsafe logic so that you can only use their proprietary batteries

I just got mine tonight. Had some trouble with compass calibration on first trial start. Next start brought up "Invalid battery" Message. That is all, so far. Haven't flown yet. Not in a rush, though.

Ok. Back after my first flight. I'M HOOKED! It was flawless, except for getting too low over the tall grass :eek:, harmless crash. I had one tip-over, because I was too timid with the throttle, and then, up! No problems. It is well after sunset, here, with no moon, so it was all line-of-sight flying. Really couldn't use FPV. I was able to shoot a couple pics of the beach homes, though, and will review video later. Just the flight experience was awesome. Whipped around, climbed to 250 or 300 ft. I did a couple of distance tests, but after going out to 1000 ft, my distance gauge got stuck at 780, so I don't know how accurate that part is. I got no phone reception out back, so probably it was a problem with phones AGPS. Anyway, tomorrow, more flights, but it really was easy to fly. I was a little intimidated what I first felt the weight of it. I started having second thoughts about flying without training, but it really is as easy as they say.

Have fun, folks!

I was careful, at first, but once I got going, I forgot:/ Ah, well, FWIW, I have not updated my stock firmware. Frankly, haven't quite figured out how:[

Khakis1999 said:
If you need help Todd pm me

i have this error too when i updated the firmware yesterday.

before the update my P2V flew without any problems.

now this is worrying..

Clean the contacts Bul$h!t this is a dangerous problem.
If your vision has this problem will loose it at some point.
As someone involved in aerospace design I am disgusted at the way this set up has been designed ie commercial proprietary over safety and redundancy
So disgusted I have sent my back.
If you have this problem unless you want to use all this equipment in a low hover you WILL be waving goodby to $1200 over the horizon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This should be a really easy temp fix for DJI. Just temporarily disable these continuous checks for valid battery type while they go investigate the issue. Why didn't just code it where they just check once upon power up?

jerms said:
Khakis1999 said:

now this is worrying..

So just to get this straight, this problem only showed it head after you updated the firmware, which version of firmware worked ok?

I've just got mine and haven't hooked it upto a PC yet. :shock:

Shedracer said:
jerms said:
Khakis1999 said:

now this is worrying..

So just to get this straight, this problem only showed it head after you updated the firmware, which version of firmware worked ok?

I've just got mine and haven't hooked it upto a PC yet. :shock:

I've had mine for a week and haven't put it near a PC - it flies beautifully out of the box and I have had none of the reported issues. If it ain't broke...

Hi all just joined the forum and received my vision add me to the list of battery issues. Received the package today turned it on and started getting that error. :( Im a newbie when it comes to quads I'm assuming i shouldn't attempt flying till there is a fix?

Ditto Story from all the above. Received my Phantom Vision yesterday, right out of the box "invalid battery" error on PC and iPhone display. Pretty much sucks. I can get it in the air for about 60 seconds before emergency landing kicks in. I am going to be patient for about a week and if no fixes I am sending it for a return.

Thanks guys for all the info. I was getting ready to buy one when I saw the fancy battery in the literature. I wanted to know how many batteries came with the base system and how much DJI wanted for extra battery. No one list a extra battery price even the DJI website. But now with all the problems, I am on hold for any purchase of a phantom vision. Anyone bought an extra battery and how much are they?

Messing around with this battery issue a little more this morning. I did get one solid flight and then problem crept back for the second flight. I have got to believe its something firmware fixable. I did notice my battery capacity fluctuating all over the place also. I owned the 1st Phantom and bought this second one as an upgrade. There are several things that do feel better about it. The new features via iPhone controllable are very attractive upgrade also. The still photos are fantastic (A+) much, much better then go pro stills. And the video I am giving an average (B-) based on the go pro 3 video.. Go pro video looks a little better.

I am hoping they get this battery situation worked out. I found second batteries for $169. Expensive, but you get a lot of flight out of one battery and the option of being able to just slide one in without hassle of wires is pretty sweet.

I read this earlier on RCG, should sort the issues some people have hopefully

"Please note - an improve autopilot and central board firmware updates will be released sometimes next week to alleviate communication lost of battery condition (battery level and battery error message)."

mitchsden said:
I read this earlier on RCG, should sort the issues some people have hopefully

"Please note - an improve autopilot and central board firmware updates will be released sometimes next week to alleviate communication lost of battery condition (battery level and battery error message)."

Well thats good news, just have to hold off for another week I guess.

Figured id learn how to do the updates with the software and connected my vision to it. Right off the bat I get the invalid battery popup. Turn off the phantom and re insert the battery firmly and it goes away. Gave the back of the battery door a slight slap and the error popped right back up.. maybe its more than just a software issue.

Okay guys, I have the same message but I have flown since and get all 24-25 mins. flight time and I can easily say I've had 15 or more flights since. So, I'm not too worried about the battery. In my opinion it's the software assistant.

Rgfidler said:
Thanks guys for all the info. I was getting ready to buy one when I saw the fancy battery in the literature. I wanted to know how many batteries came with the base system and how much DJI wanted for extra battery. No one list a extra battery price even the DJI website. But now with all the problems, I am on hold for any purchase of a phantom vision. Anyone bought an extra battery and how much are they?

You better sit down.
http://www.uavdirect.com/DJI-Phantom-2- ... attery.htm

Hope and pray that this is just a firmware issue. Probably not, which means that either the connector on the Phantom or the connector on the battery or worse the logic board in either the Phantom or battery need to be recalled.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31