Invalid Battery on Phantom Vision..Advice needed.

Dave Pitman said:
Rgfidler said:
Thanks guys for all the info. I was getting ready to buy one when I saw the fancy battery in the literature. I wanted to know how many batteries came with the base system and how much DJI wanted for extra battery. No one list a extra battery price even the DJI website. But now with all the problems, I am on hold for any purchase of a phantom vision. Anyone bought an extra battery and how much are they?

You better sit down.
http://www.uavdirect.com/DJI-Phantom-2- ... attery.htm

Thank you Dave for the info. $159.00 and expected delivery Nov 20th. I bet that day will come and go with no batteries.

Finally got out to fly my new P2V this afternoon, since the weather has been so wet lately. Anyway, it's awesome, I was enjoying the experience when I heard a warning beep, looked down at my iPhone, to see the dreaded invalid battery warning. I tried to land safely, but it crashed, thankfully it only suffered a damaged prop edge and some mud! I picked it up and then went about turning it all off and then all back on. Then flew it again, after a short while it did it again, I ran over and caught it this time, as it started to come down. After that, I thought there's no way I'm flying it again, until this problem is resolved. Im going to contact my dealer tomorrow and voice my concerns. I want keep the Vision, so I'll give DJI the opportunity to resolve it (within a reasonable time scale, I'm sure they will), but if this continues, I'll be asking for a full refund.

Anybody that has the new P2V, beware of this problem, even if you think it hasn't affected you, it may do so, at the most awkward moment.

Khakis1999 said:
Hi guys. After having 3 random emergency landings with my PV I emailed Dronefly and DJI. I received 2 different emails from them. I will post below. Any advice? Thanks.

From Dronefly

Hello John,
Sorry about your phantoms battery problems. This is a problem that DJI is aware about and is actively working to fix the problem. I will keep you updated with any and all most recent information I have regarding this issue.

Thanks,
Trent S.
Dronefly.com

It seems somewhat irresponsible to me that dji, and it's dealers are aware of a problem like this, and are sending them out the door irregardless. If someone is injured by a forced landing due to a "known problem", the consequences could be harsh for everyone.

Not too mention the heartache of their customers when their new Vision is damaged due to no fault of their own.

Hmmmmm I had an 'invalid battery warning' this afternoon. Flew for about 5 minutes up to about 500ft over the field and was bringing it down to land when at about 20ft the alarm sounded on my phone and before I knew it the vision was down on the ground. thankfully no damage. I took the battery out and put it back in and then flew conservatively round the garden to see if the problem would re- emerge. It was fine but it really is a worry as one needs to be 100% sure in the craft especially if it is a distance away.
I'll keep an eye on forum for the heads up with any fixes for resolving this issue but it's not an uncommon problem it seems.

Mactab said:
Hmmmmm I had an 'invalid battery warning' this afternoon. Flew for about 5 minutes up to about 500ft over the field and was bringing it down to land when at about 20ft the alarm sounded on my phone and before I knew it the vision was down on the ground. thankfully no damage. I took the battery out and put it back in and then flew conservatively round the garden to see if the problem would re- emerge. It was fine but it really is a worry as one needs to be 100% sure in the craft especially if it is a distance away.
I'll keep an eye on forum for the heads up with any fixes for resolving this issue but it's not an uncommon problem it seems.

Does it land in a controlled manner, or does it just drop like a rock?

Invalid Battery Error message on the Phantom Vision. I have not been able to even start the Phantom. Here is what is happening:

I am getting an “invalid battery” warning on the iPhone 5 display along with a repeating set of three pulsating buzz sounds. The iPhone display also shows a red zero battery strength. The battery unit in the Vision shows 4 green bars. The lights on the Phantom Vision arms continuously blink red. The remote controller shows a steady green light. The range extender shows a steady green light. The camera is powered and has a steady or slowly blinking green light and the camera will hold its position when the phantom is rocked back and forth. While this is happening, the iPhone does display what the camera sees. I cannot start the Phantom engines.

When charging the flight battery, I will see the four green lights turning on and off in sequence with the on/off button showing a red light. After it is fully charged (??) all the lights go off. I can turn the flight battery back on and see four steady green lights. The flight battery acts like it is fully charged but the Phantom does not appear to perceive it as charged.

Here is a short video demonstrating the problem - http://youtu.be/Hj8TA6ZxmUQ

The folks at DroneFly say they have passed this info to DJI. I have not heard anything to correct the problem from either DroneFry or DJI. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm only guessing here, but the battery looks like there is two little gold pads on the side of the larger connectors, perhaps there pads are to make contact with something inside the phantom to identify the battery . . .

The problem is, the connection is being lost intermittently and this is causing the phantom to shout errors!

If we ever got the naza FW mapped, we could remover this "feature" that would only be designed to make dji more $$$ before someone like myself develops a little PCB that can "signal" the correct battery to the naza . . .

Then we can remove that POS vision battery connector, wire on an xt60 and have a world of options for extra batteries.

Or, dji will release a "Phantom 2 Vision V1.1.0" and have big plans for upgrade components for the vision beta testers to get their phantom up to spec lol

I too have received the invalid battery alarm. Contacted dronefly and DJI. They told me to check the pins. It is brand new with only 2 flights and have had 3 emergency landings. There has to be a problem with the software. Hopefully they will let us know soon before we all crash our new toys!

rwalt said:
Mactab said:

Does it land in a controlled manner, or does it just drop like a rock?
Mine came down slow with hardly any control but almost hit my house and a tree. I was able to turn it a little but it was a very uncomfortable feeling.

kingcat200 said:
Hi
I had exactly this problem I also crashed my phantom on its first flight and was very lucky to retrieve it. I subsequently would get this as an intermittent fault at any time whilst sitting on the bench.
DJI said the problem is that the small pin type battery connectors needed cleaning.
I have my doubts and believe there is a problem on the battery logic board as have cleaned contacts and still get intermittent fault . If it is a contacter problem this is not good as your phantom could loose power at any time with power in the battery connected via the big connectors but the logic not allowing that power to be used.
I have no confidence to fly my phantom Vision again as I never know when that tenuous link will break.
I have returned the phantom Vision for a refund I will Carry on flying my old phantom with IOC ( the vision does not have it) until the rest of you guys have completed DJI' s R&D for them.
A safer logic would be to keep main power supplied with this fault so that you had power to land.
The synical side of me thinks they have applied unsafe logic so that you can only use their proprietary batteries

I did warn you guys :(

kingcat200 said:
Clean the contacts Bul$h!t this is a dangerous problem.
If your vision has this problem will loose it at some point.
As someone involved in aerospace design I am disgusted at the way this set up has been designed ie commercial proprietary over safety and redundancy
So disgusted I have sent my back.
If you have this problem unless you want to use all this equipment in a low hover you WILL be waving goodby to $1200 over the horizon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did warn you guys :(

So when this occurs, it defaults to the 2nd low voltage alarm and goes into the emergency landing operation. GOOD!

Had second "Invalid Battery" incident after soft crash.

From my logs:

Flight 4
First flight during daylight hours.
Initially, fun. Showed off for neighbors.
Observed houses in my neighborhood.
Viewed beach.

Max alt: 300+
Max distance: 500
wind: negligable.
Flew approx 10 minutes.
Got Video of whole flight.

Incident report.
Flew too close to palm tree, crashed atop the tree. Had to get ladder. P2V spent app 30 minutes stuck up tree, recording video, props disarmed.

Post retrieval, did not reboot phantom.
Restarted radios, got all clear for launch, gps.
Started engines, craft would not lift off. Battery indicated 70+%
Side movements showed plenty of power, but would not throttle up in vertical stick.

Rebooted craft, all radios. Craft started normally. Tipped over attempting launch(pilot error), then, after righting, achieved launch. Got 20-30 seconds in air, then klaxon sound. Thought, somehow, battery was dead. Battery gauge indicated 0%. It had been in the 70% range just minutes previous. Got "Invalid Battery" warning, emergency self-landing. Did not attempt re-launch. Enough excitement for now. Battery LEDs well over 50%.

I am now recharging everything. Will try another flight later.

rwalt said:
So when this occurs, it defaults to the 2nd low voltage alarm and goes into the emergency landing operation. GOOD!
What is good about an emergency landing when you are a long way away at altitude with 70 % Battery power left this BAD VERY BAD this can occur at any time without warning DO NOT FLY ONCE YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS FAULT

Toddthecarver said:

CHAPS CHAPS CHAPS How many times do I have to say this
IF you have experienced this fault do not let your enthusiasm overcome your practical common sense this is now a well documented problem that requires either a recall or firmware rewrite, bring pressure to bear on the manufacture and dealers for allowing such a fault to go to market on the run up to Christmas but DO NOT, I SAY AGAIN, DO NOT fly your Phantom Vision once you have experienced this fault
One last time
SAFETY IS NO ACCIDENT DO NOT FLY ONCE YOU HAVE THIS FAULT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kingcat200 said:
Toddthecarver said:

CHAPS CHAPS CHAPS How many times do I have to say this
IF you have experienced this fault do not let your enthusiasm overcome your practical common sense this is now a well documented problem that requires either a recall or firmware rewrite, bring pressure to bear on the manufacture and dealers for allowing such a fault to go to market on the run up to Christmas but DO NOT, I SAY AGAIN, DO NOT fly your Phantom Vision once you have experienced this fault
One last time
SAFETY IS NO ACCIDENT DO NOT FLY ONCE YOU HAVE THIS FAULT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is right, Didn't get the error for the first time and decided to give it a go... Destroyed 3 props and scratched up my phantom a bit. It emergency landed on a not so flat surface :shock:

Hi all
Just to register yet another end user with the battery invalid fault
i received my DJI vision on friday and finally got the time to set it up after having charged the main battery and the wifi booster.
I configured the compass relatively smoothly and proceeded to test fly.
camera linked well with my Iphone 5S all good, took it up to about 300 feet and captured some scenes, then the dreaded klaxon and battery invalid fault came up, i had some contrrol initially and managed to get it back over my garden and down to about 30 feet, then it seemed to have no control and it just came down slowly at a point over my garden, unfortunately through trees, amazingly missing all branches and landing perfectly on lawn, very lucky escape, heart rate not good and left trying to figure out what had gone wrong.Then found the forum. so i will also send an email to my supplier BYOD, incidently the battery was still showing 3 solid green bars and like several others i did re-launch tentatively and remaining low, after about 2-3 minutes it happened again and just landed. won't be launching again until resolved.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20