Inspire 1 v2.0 or P4P... from the clients prospective?

Reaction score
From a technical standpoint, the P4P seems to be quite a bit better then the inspire in terms of commercial Ariel work. The one reason i'm considering the inspire is purely for the aesthetics. Has anyone who does commercial work dealt with job rejections, possibly because the P4P "looks" the same as cheap toy quads to the client? I just wonder If the more professional looking Inspire, even if the cam is worse, would be the better investment due to client ignorance.

If you put the P4Pro into one of these and turn up with 5 batteries you'll look pro, especially if you ask the client if he can carry it for you :)
HPRC PHA4-2710 Hard Case for DJI Phantom 4

...but seriously, your photos/video should speak for themselves. Try to educate your customer as to why the P4Pro camera is up to the job (and explain duration, safety features). The guy who examined me for my PfCO often uses a MavicPro for TV work (including BBC) so stick to your guns.

These might be useful:
Inspire 1 v2.0 or P4P... from the clients prospective?
Phantom 4 pro vs Inspire 1 Pro X5

That case is actually cheaper then i was expecting. I could definitely see that helping, lol. It irritates me to no end when people wont stop referring to the word "toy" for my p4. That's all some people can see... Even after providing them technical specs.

That case is actually cheaper then i was expecting. I could definitely see that helping, lol. It irritates me to no end when people wont stop referring to the word "toy" for my p4. That's all some people can see... Even after providing them technical specs.

If you have some of the regulars in here referring to all these drones in this forums as “toys” good luck fighting that moniker out there.

If people are "rejecting" you for the type of sUAS you fly then you're not WOWING them with the final product. Most of my clients have no idea which platform I'm flying when I do their work. If they need to know I'll ask them, "What car did you drive to work today?"

We shoot for high-end clients with Phantoms, Mavic, Inspire, and custom builds. Each one has it's own strong points and weaknesses.

If people are "rejecting" you for the type of sUAS you fly then you're not WOWING them with the final product. Most of my clients have no idea which platform I'm flying when I do their work. If they need to know I'll ask them, "What car did you drive to work today?"

We shoot for high-end clients with Phantoms, Mavic, Inspire, and custom builds. Each one has it's own strong points and weaknesses.
Not rejecting me, this was more a post for information to see if it was enough of a problem for others that the inspire would be worth the buy.

Not rejecting me, this was more a post for information to see if it was enough of a problem for others that the inspire would be worth the buy.

The Inspire is one of those sUAS that gets attention (might be good or bad LOL) but the standard camera on the Inspire doesn't really compare to the Phantom4Pro at all.

With that being said, we don't shoot anything even remotely needing the P4P so we do well with our other platforms.

As a first impression on a client the inspire is more of a professional bird than the p4p is to the general public. Most of the public I’ve run into have a bit of a wow factor with the inspire. Not sure if it’s because it’s a little bigger or if it’s just because of the legs retracting. Lol. Usually the outlook of the p4p is ‘oh my cousin has one of those.’ First impressions matter especially in the United States. If they see you film with what they consider a toy that there cousin has that is the outlook they will have on what to expect from you. Your work will speak for itself after some time goes by and your name becomes known then people will not care what you use to fly or film,but if you are just starting out you need to make that first impression count. I know some people that have an unoperational inspire they take with them just to show to new clients but after the client leaves they get out their phantom and do the shoot.

Reactions: Maco
The main problem I can see is that the P4P, despite costing well over $1,000, looks like all the DJI quadcopters since the P1. Seeing that you can buy P3s for $250-300 and P2s in the $150-200 range, more and more people are seeing this form factor flying, so it just doesn't look as impressive. Especially now that I've seen some children flying Phantom 2s and 3s.

The Inspire, on the other hand, is this hulking menace of a drone that still has such a high cost-of-entry AND ridiculous transportation requirements that very few average people are flying them, meaning that it still looks like a professional device even if they have absolutely no clue about drones.

I know people do very much like the Inspire 2, but I think that the more important thing is your presentation of both your work and your knowledge.

I know some people that have an unoperational inspire they take with them just to show to new clients but after the client leaves they get out their phantom and do the shoot.

That is very smart, lol. love it.

Now that the entire inventory of *NEW* Inspire 1v2's in DJI's overseas stock have recently been marked as "Refurbs" (to save face & maintain "cost integrity") and pushed to US dealers (you won't find it in the DJI Store), the price point is FINALLY affordable and sensible. I did exactly what you all were talking about and for the very same reason. My "new" Inspire v2 is currently underway for less than $1200. Good luck finding that price, but you'll find plenty for around $1400-1500 online.

My "new" Inspire v2 is currently underway for less than $1200. Good luck finding that price, but you'll find plenty for around $1400-1500 online.

Hope you enjoy it! Saw a few refurbs on sale at ebay for 1199 with warranty. Not to bad at all.

That's where I got mine, and for that exact price. It showed DJI as the retailer, but it was shipped from DroneNerds. Only 50 were offered, but at last look (last night) there were only a few left in stock. They may not be refurbs at all. This happened to me once before last July when the P3Ps were offered as "Refurbs" through Newegg at $520. I snatched one up. Once received, I noticed immediately that none of the serial numbers internally were marked with an "R" which would note ng that they had been refurbished (as I understood it). She served me well for many months until pilot error sent her 38 feet to the bottom of a local lake. The mistake I made was taking off below the dam with the hopes of doing this wonderful sport cinematic flight at low altitude (30ft was my hard deck) up along the long spillway with a reveal shot at the top of the inlet displaying the length of the lake in its entirety. I then climbed hard, with a tight bank to the right in order to return to the opening of the spillway, swoop down it, pool up hard at the end, and get my shot. Problem was, with ignorance and oversight, my reference altitude was 30' below the lake surface, so I took a nosedive into the water surface at 26 mph at a 50 degree angle. Yes, I was just slightly BVLOS. I think I choked back a few tears at that moment when I realized what a ******* maneuver I performed. Apologies for derailing the original subject here in this thread, but it's a story with an important lesson about reference altitudes. Sorry folks, I just checked eBay a second ago and see no more at that price left. Don't panic, my inside word tells me they'll be plenty (w/warranty) offered at $1649 and below for the coming month or so. Again, they're supposedly being sold as Refurbs, but apparently they're not. DJI is trying to push out that inventory. Hope that info is helpful. My wishes for blue skies and error msg free flights. (**** that high wind warning!)

Last edited:
Get the P4Pro Obsidian, as it at least looks different to all the other Phantoms they'll have seen.

Also, if you want to wow your customers with your footage: don't shoot in 1080p, due to the sharpness option being broken. No one likes the hideous white lines along the horizon and the moire patterns on bricks/roof tiles that the oversharpening produces.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj