Inexpensive GPS tracking alternatives

Ok...if you DID order it from SourcingBay, would you let me know if you ge the one with a Green and Red button or the one with all orange buttons?

Reactions: dirkclod
Ok...if you DID order it from SourcingBay, would you let me know if you ge the one with a Green and Red button or the one with all orange buttons?
Will do and will check in a few minutes to see who it is coming from !

Will do and will check in a few minutes to see who it is coming from !
Yep..That's who it's coming from . Will post it when it gets here !!

Reactions: JKDSensei
Yep..That's who it's coming from . Will post it when it gets here !!

Ok, but I can tell you that SourcingBay is not building a good reputation. Their Amazon review score and ebay scores are not that good. Comments from others say the same mostly. When I try to contact them they either ignore the question or come back with some excuse for not answering. Seems they go out of their way to NOT help customers.

Hopefully you will get a genuine TK109B and it will work. I think they just sent me someone else's return. Keep me posted.

Actually, once their business starts to take a dive under that name, they change it and start over. I've noticed that that's a very common Chinese business tactic. I'd bet that if DJI ever took a dive for any reason a new company called MKC (or whatever) would spring up the next day selling Phantoms....and deny ANY liability for the other companies ("wink wink") Phantoms. It's just how things work in China it seems.

Last edited:
Hey Dirk,
Just letting you know I haven't have a single issue once I turned off the sleep mode.
It seems to have been sleeping too hard and wouldn't wake up. By turning off sleep mode it just stays awake all the time and so far it has responded every time I ping it with a phone call.
SFSG

VERY fast response by the way. Usually within 10 seconds of my call I get a location text back.

Looking forward to hearing about yours.

Exactly.

sleep+password+space+off
Thanks and will post what I get !
monker thumbup.gif

lol. I like that

If you have any questions about the TK109B don't hesitate to ask,
I will and just from what I read and what you have said it looks to me to be an updated 102 almost as they seem to take the same commands . We will see soon enough buddy ! :)

OK. .Amazon just dropped off my new tracker by drone..ahaaa I mean truck and is like yours IMG_1234.JPG
Just installed my sim from 102 and went right to work !!! No issue's so far and am testing now with it sitting out side .

It is like my 102 but better . Here's them together b.jpg is shorter and if not for the hump a.jpg it be no thicker .
I weighed them and this one is 8.5 grams lighter !!!!
So I think this one is better than the 102 so thanks for the post bro !
Looks like all's well here in Hooterville ;)
Thumbs up.jpg

Added / And only had to change 1 # in my signature this time !..BaHahahaaaaa

Cool beans Dirk! And thanks for the fast reply. Yes sir, you got the same one I did. All orange buttons. Well, at least now I know I didn't just get some fluke or old model. I like the "look" of the red and green buttons but I'm not sure those really exist?

Mine works well if I turn off the SLEEP. I've had it on for about 3 days now only turning it off for charging. I figure if it's gonna fail, I want it to d so now.

Every time I call it it answers right away with what appears to be very accurate coordinates.
Have you clicked the link and pulled it up on Google Maps yet? Cool stuff.

I like the simplicity and independence from any mandatory website or subscription. Trackimo was too controlled and dependent on their website for me. This thing suits me perfectly.
And cost 4 times less to boot :)

Cool beans Dirk! And thanks for the fast reply. Yes sir, you got the same one I did. All orange buttons. Well, at least now I know I didn't just get some fluke or old model. I like the "look" of the red and green buttons but I'm not sure those really exist?

Mine works well if I turn off the SLEEP. I've had it on for about 3 days now only turning it off for charging. I figure if it's gonna fail, I want it to d so now.

Every time I call it it answers right away with what appears to be very accurate coordinates.
Have you clicked the link and pulled it up on Google Maps yet? Cool stuff.

I like the simplicity and independence from any mandatory website or subscription. Trackimo was too controlled and dependent on their website for me. This thing suits me perfectly.
And cost 4 times less to boot :)
Yep it's the same maps and all like the 102 . Everything works like it but is better with the battery contained and is lighter .
Was time for a new one anyway and glad I got this . Been driving around to day with it in my pocket and checking it when I
stop and it's dead on so far !!!

JKDSensei & dirkclod,
Thanks guys. I've been keeping a close eye on this thread to see how it all panned out. Since it's all good for the two of you I went ahead and ordered one and got an H2O pay-as-you-go plan. This seems to be the best and cheapest solution for tracking. It's certainly better than what I was doing. I'd, uhm "borrow" one of my dogs Tagg Pet Tracker.. LOL Good for the quad but bad if the pooch decided to split. :) Seriously though, it worked pretty darn good and I never take the kids with me when I fly so everything worked ok but this is a MUCH better solution.
Thanks again JKDSensei for starting the thread and thanks Dirk for contributing!
BOT

JKDSensei & dirkclod,
Thanks guys. I've been keeping a close eye on this thread to see how it all panned out. Since it's all good for the two of you I went ahead and ordered one and got an H2O pay-as-you-go plan. This seems to be the best and cheapest solution for tracking. It's certainly better than what I was doing. I'd, uhm "borrow" one of my dogs Tagg Pet Tracker.. LOL Good for the quad but bad if the pooch decided to split. :) Seriously though, it worked pretty darn good and I never take the kids with me when I fly so everything worked ok but this is a MUCH better solution.
Thanks again JKDSensei for starting the thread and thanks Dirk for contributing!
BOT
Is a good one BOT ! Just for now is here :)tracker.jpg

JKDSensei & dirkclod,
BOT

Yes sir. I think you'll like this one. For me it's the perfect solution. At this price I'm getting another as a backup. But I think I'll try the TKStar version. Maybe that's the original and the one Dirk and I got are clones? (All Orange buttons vs Red / Green & Orange buttons?)

Either way, I've been leaving it on for days and randomly calling in for GPS location reports and it's been perfect. Like no more than 5 to 10 seconds after it starts ringing I get the coordinates and Google Map link via text. And for anyone new to this thread, the cost is as low as $40 PER YEAR ! (H2Owirelessnow.com - "Pay As You Go - $10 for 90 days" plan which includes about 200 text messages every 90 days.
Awesome!

I used up about 75 the first week trying out the thing :)
But now my usage will drop back to just occasional test calls to the unit.

Flyaway fears have subsided a lot.
I think with this and the MarcoPolo I will be fairly immune to lost Phantoms unless it goes down in water.

Let us know your experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
A little update.....(positive)

The TK109B has more functions than those printed on the instructions leaflet that comes with it.
Some of the commands from the TK102 also work on this device.

I found out yesterday that you can get automated text alerts for "Low Battery" on this thing.

The command to turn LOW BATTERY alerts ON is...........

lowbattery+password+space+on

for example....lowbattery123456 on

To turn the feature back off, just substitute the word OFF

One thing to note: Unlike most other commands, the TK109B will not send you a text telling you the low battery alert has been turned on or off. It will simply send you a text alert when the battery reaches 40%

This thing is getting awesome-er the longer I have it :)

I'm working on a custom made foam padded, detachable carrier for the device to make it easy to mount and remove it from the Phantom. Will post the results when finished.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.