Indoor Flight Without Compass or GPS

Reaction score
We are using the drone for inspection purposes, deep inside a building, far from any outside contact. Obviously we are getting the error asking for compass recalibration before we can take off. I'm wondering if there is any way to bypass this feature and take off without having compass or gps guidance?

VPS is active, the device will still not let me take off unless it recieves compass signal, I still get the flashing red and yellow lights. I'm just wondering if there is a setting that lets me take complete manual control and will bypass this issue. The older models never had this problem.

Will that bypass that issue?

Far as I am aware, Atti mode bypasses all guidance systems, compass, GPS, VPS etc. You have to enable "Multiple Flight mode" in the app to use Atti and then flip the left switch on the remote to the A position. It will fly in complete manual mode so that means you also have to be careful because it will drift.

Still no luck, asking for a compass calibration. If I hadn't mentioned previously, we're deep inside of a metal structure, so compass is completely out of the question.

I was curious, Is the 'compass' feature recived as a signal of sorts or is it something the drone does for itself? What i'm getting at is whether my problem is with being building blocking a signal or is it interference with the metal strcture?

The phantom has a physical compass. It is extremely sensitive to metal objects around it so the metal structure is causing it to go haywire. If ATTI mode didn't help then I don't think there is any way to bypass it.

I don't know but maybe an IMU calibration in the building (followed by another IMU calibration in a clean area after the job is done) ?

We are using the drone for inspection purposes, deep inside a building, far from any outside contact. Obviously we are getting the error asking for compass recalibration before we can take off. I'm wondering if there is any way to bypass this feature and take off without having compass or gps guidance?
Hi sewald
I see this is an old thread but wonder how its going?
I have lifted the P3 above my head to start and that allowed the compass to let it start.
I tested carefully after takeoff and it did drift to starboard but was quite controllable.
ATTI doesnt bypass the compass nor altimeter so it was able to maintain altitude in a hover only drifting.

Did you ever figure out how to fly without the compass? I need to do steam generator burner front inspections

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl