Indonesia(Bali) drone laws

Reaction score
I fly out to bali next week and would love to take my drone. i have no problems with the airport side of things but more so the local laws over there. I've read on some sources that you need to apply for a licence and all this other stuff if your drone has a camera. but without a camera as long as its in a class g airspace and under 150 m a licence isn't required. i more so just would like to just capture the nature, fly over some beaches and stuff like that and would just stay away from temples but sounds like a massive hassle if you need a licence.

You must have gone already so what I've understood from looking it up myself won't help you now (only needing a license/permit if you're flying commercially). I'm curious though how you made out. Did you bring yours and fly? Anyone give you any grief? I'd like to fly when I go in August later this year.

You must have gone already so what I've understood from looking it up myself won't help you now (only needing a license/permit if you're flying commercially). I'm curious though how you made out. Did you bring yours and fly? Anyone give you any grief? I'd like to fly when I go in August later this year.

Yeah I've returned and had a blast. I only flew my drone when I was with my private driver (day tours) even though he said it was all good and could fly anywhere I felt safe and comfortable having a local with me who could speak fluent Indonesian to communicate with people if there was a problem. At one instance I went to fly at Tanah lot and someone came up to me and couldn't speak English well and my driver was able to translate and tell me that you had to pay money to fly at Tanah lot. But other then that had no problems flying and got some amazing footage. The scenery over their is beautiful, I hope you are able to capture your adventure with your drone as well!

Did anyone approach you other than the person at Tanah Lot? Did you pay them anything or simply not fly there? What sites did you actually fly? Did the airport give you any issues with what you were packing?

Did anyone approach you other than the person at Tanah Lot? Did you pay them anything or simply not fly there? What sites did you actually fly? Did the airport give you any issues with what you were packing?

Nope, no one else approached me the entire time. I had arrived late to Tanah Lot where the sun set had passed it's good stage so didn't bother spending the 500,000 rupiah but I did see two other drones out there flying. I had heard before I went to Bali that some places you had to pay to fly so I wasn't really surprised when they came up in a popular destination like that. I flew at tegalalang rice field, jatiluwih rice field (highly recommend going here), a beach near Uluwatu, and up at the abandoned 'ghost palace hotel'. The airport didn't have any problems whatsoever with my drone. Went from Brisbane>Sydney>Bali then Bali>Brisbane and it was fine through every checkpoint. Bali have a checkpoint at the boarding gate but they simple opened it seen that I wasn't carrying liquids and closed it. They were more interested in my handheld gimbal and asked me what it was :')

I brought my P3P to Bali last October, to my knowledge you only need a permit if you plan on flying higher than 500 feet...so don't ;-)

I flew in Ubud, Tegalalang rice terraces, and Mt, Batur, I attempted to fly at Uluwatu Temple, but one of the temple security guys told me I could not fly there, so be advised if you plan on flying at Uluwatu launch from outside the temple grounds.

My video in Bali
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Got back from Bali 3 weeks ago and saw two fellow Phantom pilots there. There are a few temples/sites that have explicit signs telling you to not fly drones in the area (Ulan Danu being a clear temple I remember) but most people still flew drones there anyways. The Balinese are more interested in making a buck off you than giving you a hard time like what they did to ZaneHarding. I'd be more concerned with airport security leaving Bali with your drone than anything else is they may subject you to even more random "inspections" because of it.

Got back from Bali 3 weeks ago and saw two fellow Phantom pilots there. There are a few temples/sites that have explicit signs telling you to not fly drones in the area (Ulan Danu being a clear temple I remember) but most people still flew drones there anyways. The Balinese are more interested in making a buck off you than giving you a hard time like what they did to ZaneHarding. I'd be more concerned with airport security leaving Bali with your drone than anything else is they may subject you to even more random "inspections" because of it.

Did you take yours along as carry on? I'm just curious how you were subject to more inspections because of it. Last time I traveled with mine I dropped it off with the other checked luggage to be screened and I can't imagine any agents from there forward knew I even had one.

I have been wondering about taking my P4 but regretted not taking it Thailand, may do it this October

Had a great time in Bali though my card got corrupted and I lost all my footage flying from the top of Mt Agung. I'm heart broken but still trying desperately to recover those files. Anyway, what's to know about flying in Thailand? I am thinking about booking Phuket next year and would of course really like to fly.

Hey guys,
I have a video production house in Bali (Baliprod - DJI is a regular client actually!).
We wrote an extensive article about bringing and flying a drone in Bali or Indonesia.
Hope that will help answer some of your questions about drone laws and regulations in Bali:
The Ultimate Guide to Bringing & Flying a Drone in Bali, Indonesia (2018 update)
Feedback on your own experience welcome of course!
Cheers and fly safe!

Yup, the regulation out there is pretty sweet really as long as you want to use it for recreational purposes.

As a general rule of thumbs, you should fly your drone:
  • at a maximum altitude of 150 m above the ground.
  • away from vehicles in movement, people or large crowds.
  • a drone weighting less than 2 kg.
  • you need to be at least 18 years old.
  • from a fix point, do not fly from a moving vehicle.
  • have a minimum flight visibility of 4.8 km
  • 15 km away from airports (any airport, seaplane base or area where aircraft or helicopter take off & land) & give way to all other type of aircraft.
  • only during day time (no night flight tolerance) & within your sight at all times.
  • maintain a safe distance from any cloud (150 m below & 600 m distance).
  • only one drone at the time.
  • () slower than 161 km/h & non under the influence of any drugs or alcohol types.
If you seek to do anything with a commercial purpose, then you should seek for an authorization of the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (which depends on the Ministry of Transportation).

Hope this helps - safe flights!

Hey just a quick update as I now had time to study 150 countries and listed mot drone rules into this map

Here's the link to Indonesia drone rules in case needed - Hope this is useful for all.
Dronemade | Blog

Safe flying!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic