Increasing range of Phantom 2

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been thinking of modifying the controller for my phantom 2 (2.4ghz controller). I have seen lots of articles debating the necessity etc, but I am nevertheless thinking of doing the modification. Having watched many video's on you tube, the transmitter mod seems simple enough (famous last words)!

I was looking at replacing the controllers antenna with a 9 or 12 dbi, t.p.link seems the favourite option. If I understand the modification correctly, all I would need is the pigtale lead a bit of modification to the controller and the antenna!

My questions are, if anyone can assist, what sort of additional range for the phantom would I get? Secondly, having looked at my fpv antennas (which have been upgraded for the extra fpv range} the antennas are 5.8ghz and have a male end plugging into my black pearl monitors female connectors. Having looked around at the tplink antennas and other 2.8ghz antennas, they seem to be female connectors on the antenna connecting to a male pigtale lead... Is this the standard fitting for 2.8ghz or are there male ended antennas for 2.8ghz out there? If female is the norm for 2.8ghz, I can simply buy the appropriate pigtale connector.

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

Kind regards.

I don't think its necessary IMO. I can go further than I can see my Phantom before going out of range, and I never want to do that so i'm good. If I were to update something it would be for a better video signal.

I don't think its necessary IMO. I can go further than I can see my Phantom before going out of range, and I never want to do that so i'm good. If I were to update something it would be for a better video signal.

Good evening,

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my question. I have already upgraded the antenna's etc for the video signal, which seems to have sorted that side of things. I just wanted further distance on the drone, more for a comfort blanket so I could fly it comfortably at around 2km (with some leeway) as this is the distance of some an area I'd like to fly over.

I am in the same boat as you. With the stock radio, I can only go about 700m in a semi residential area. I lost signal on the radio before my FPV video. I ordered the 8dbi TP link antenna and wire to do the mod.....hopefully they will arrive tomorrow in the mail.

I am in the same boat as you. With the stock radio, I can only go about 700m in a semi residential area. I lost signal on the radio before my FPV video. I ordered the 8dbi TP link antenna and wire to do the mod.....hopefully they will arrive tomorrow in the mail.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to the thread.
It seems you have the same set up as me. Would you please let me know how you get on with your upgrade. Hope it works... Regards. Gary.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to the thread.
It seems you have the same set up as me. Would you please let me know how you get on with your upgrade. Hope it works... Regards. Gary.

Got the antenna and cable today. Installation is easy, I don't even have to grind down anything, little hot glue works to keep the cable in place on the controller. The 9dbi antenna is huge! This afternoon I got it Installed and tested, but range is worst than stock antenna. I am sending it back, glad that I bought it from Amazon! So I guess at the end, I still have to spend the money with FPVLR! Lol

296A17C8-5DF0-4142-A82F-7BB68C22ED01.jpg

fpvlr antennae are the way to go. I got 1.5km with stock, now have yet to hit failsafe at 3plus km, just my fortitude keeping me back haha

I have exceeded 5000m on multiple occasions with Phantom 2 original stock controller (w/tilt lever) and original antenna. The Phantom 2 also has original stock antennas with no mods. At that distance you are at the limits of the stock battery. The video distance will be your bigger challenge. You do need to keep the Phantom in an unobstructed sight-line.
My controller is not a freak since I have another one that gets the same distance.
http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopter-dji-phantom-2-robert-zinn-9p8Ck2pJ/

Got the antenna and cable today. Installation is easy, I don't even have to grind down anything, little hot glue works to keep the cable in place on the controller. The 9dbi antenna is huge! This afternoon I got it Installed and tested, but range is worst than stock antenna. I am sending it back, glad that I bought it from Amazon! So I guess at the end, I still have to spend the money with FPVLR! Lol

Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me and letting me know how the modification went (not good from what you have said). Plan 'B'... I haven't actually got a plan 'B' yet, as I haven't had any more suggestions.... At least you will get your money back from Amazon.

I have exceeded 5000m on multiple occasions with Phantom 2 original stock controller (w/tilt lever) and original antenna. The Phantom 2 also has original stock antennas with no mods. At that distance you are at the limits of the stock battery. The video distance will be your bigger challenge. You do need to keep the Phantom in an unobstructed sight-line.
My controller is not a freak since I have another one that gets the same distance.
http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopter-dji-phantom-2-robert-zinn-9p8Ck2pJ/
Thank you for taking the time to make a comment. It seems that some controllers, by nature, have better range than others. I'm not saying the range from my transmitter is bad, but I would like it to control the phantom further, at least 2km (3km to be more comfortable) because the area I would like to fly over is 2km. A safety margin of half to 1km would make me more comfortable.

Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me and letting me know how the modification went (not good from what you have said). Plan 'B'... I haven't actually got a plan 'B' yet, as I haven't had any more suggestions.... At least you will get your money back from Amazon.

Plan B will be FPVLR that everybody likes I guess! Lol.

Plan B will be FPVLR that everybody likes I guess! Lol.
My Phantom is a Phantom 2 with the H3 gimble etc and a 600 immersion transmitter with blue beam antenna, the black pearl monitor has 2x 9dbi helical antennas. I now get very good fpv range but sadly the controller range doesn't match that of the fpv.

Unless I'm missing the point, isn't the FPVLR to do with range only?

Last edited:
I agree with zin . I got stock v2 controller rth at 3k but you need 60 percent to come home at 3k no time to get out 2k and go sightseeing so the stock controller prob rth when it should. Keep in mind for my experience 60 percent bat at 3k or its not making it back

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31