Incoming update

Last edited:
I think DJI is ultimately trying to promote a culture of accountability, which is exactly what FAA intended to do with its sUAS registration program.
They are also trying as much as possible to limit irresponsible and unlawful behavior, as they are well aware that every little incident is pushing legislators in the direction of more stringent regulations (e.g. Canada). Regulations that would hurt their sales more than the few customers that will not purchase a DJI product because of these built-in restrictions.

Someone in the previous posts mentioned cars and the fact they are not restricted in the way we use them: this is true, but cars must be registered, must be insured, must have license plates, and operators must be licensed. Moreover, car drivers are inside the vehicle, so there's an element of self-preservation that comes into place: you don't run a red light not only because it's illegal, but because you know you can get hurt. With drones, that element is not there, and that's another incentive to do stupid things.

Cars, as in restricting their performance because people can't be trusted to act responsibly. Registration is another matter. Registering with FAA was fine. Although, one can argue that a criminal will steal a car to commit a crime, just like someone can just not register the drone or build your own to commit a crime.

But all this is silly since we really don't know what this whole update will do anyway. It could just be fine. But if it restricts performance of AC to 500ft when the box says 3000ft, that's something else. Just deliver what you sold me is my point. Either way, I'll just wait and see what this update will bring.

Cars, as in restricting their performance because people can't be trusted to act responsibly. Registration is another matter. Registering with FAA was fine. Although, one can argue that a criminal will steal a car to commit a crime, just like someone can just not register the drone or build your own to commit a crime.

But all this is silly since we really don't know what this whole update will do anyway. It could just be fine. But if it restricts performance of AC to 500ft when the box says 3000ft, that's something else. Just deliver what you sold me is my point. Either way, I'll just wait and see what this update will bring.

You have to look at things in their entirety: operating a car today involves accountability (license plates, registration), enforcement (police, traffic cameras, etc), punishment for violations, third-party liability and operator certification (driver license). In addition, you have that element of caution that derives from the operator being in the vehicle. Sure, cars are not speed-limited, but the whole system around them puts enough constraints that the vast majority of the people drive responsibly.

With drones, they could either put in place a similar system, complex and expensive but with the technology not limited in any way, or they can just make people accountable and put some limits on the equipment. I think they are going with the latter option, which in my opinion is not a bad idea. To be clear, I am not happy about this, but I do understand the reasons behind it.

So everyone now seems to be discussing why DJI have done this and if they could of been sued etc etc. but i am more interested in what this means in practice ... does anyone have any real ideas about how restrictive this will be? its probably me but im not exactly understanding what they are trying to do!

So everyone now seems to be discussing why DJI have done this and if they could of been sued etc etc. but i am more interested in what this means in practice ... does anyone have any real ideas about how restrictive this will be? its probably me but im not exactly understanding what they are trying to do!
I think we're all going to have to wait and see, at this point it's just speculation. But another thing to consider is once it is implemented the restrictions could change or increase in the future as they work through this process.

Reactions: sebastian.bilbao
does anyone have any real ideas about how restrictive this will be?
According to DJI, it will not affect pilots that are not flying in China. Here's an email I received from DJI:

EmailFromDJI.jpg

According to DJI, it will not affect pilots that are not flying in China. Here's an email I received from DJI:

View attachment 82682

So the outside of China the SDK will auto activate without log on blah blah blah is the good bit to take from that? Basically means no change?
How come on the link you posted to DJI website it said it will affect international customers? this whole thing is just a PR mess by DJI!

How come on the link you posted to DJI website it said it will affect international customers?
You'll have to ask DJI directly since they posted it.

So the outside of China the SDK will auto activate without log on blah blah blah is the good bit to take from that? Basically means no change?
How come on the link you posted to DJI website it said it will affect international customers? this whole thing is just a PR mess by DJI!
the email i got from dji specifically mentioned " international " customers.

Check out that video clip, is that a DJI Mavic? Two very lucky people, as just by chance it crashes into an empty seat. And one happy spectator that thinks he has a free drone now.
It is a Karma!
No wonder it crashed! :p

IMG_1903.PNG

Last edited:
Sounds like they lock it into "Beginner Mode" until registered with DJI.

With the FAA losing on the registration part with hobbyists, now DJI takes over the registration and control. I could see this leading to the 107 fliers being area unlocked maybe further than say a hobbyist too.
As it should be.

So I'm a little confused. If I update my P3S it just makes the geofence actually stop me from flying? I don't fly in restricted areas anyway so it shouldn't really matter, right?

So I'm a little confused. If I update my P3S it just makes the geofence actually stop me from flying? I don't fly in restricted areas anyway so it shouldn't really matter, right?
Absolutely right, if you are not flying in restricted areas, you don't have to worry about it.

Few things

1. There are now specific restrictions like frequency limitations for specific geographic regions

2. I think they moved the geofencing functions to the drone side instead of phone to avoid bypass

3. I think that when crashing, authorities can request from dji to find out who acted recklessly. I don't think this is limited to those who updated tot he latest version but was always the case.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor