Incoming update

What we need a bunch of smart people that can figure out the electronics and sensors required to make our own equipment.
I know it's a complex task but it's achievable.
So next forum title topic is: Building the ultimate DJI drone destroyer.

jail break the app would be easier, third party apps exist so the code must be quite east to decipher.
I think they are asking for it, not everyone want to enter in to a contract that was not stipulated at time of sale. .

I doubt if DJI will be harmed any more than a gun, arms, or bullet maker would. It's the person who committed the act who is behind it that they will be after, not the manufacturer of a drone or arms maker.

Aside, I'm curious as to how this will be implemented in Litchi and Autopilot as well. Will those both get flight restrictions somehow?
Let's hope the 3rd party apps are not headed in the same direction.

jail break the app would be easier, third party apps exist so the code must be quite east to decipher.
I think they are asking for it, not everyone want to enter in to a contract that was not stipulated at time of sale. .
Ask yourself if any of these statements ring true? People have been caught using a drone to spy on there neighbors sunbathing or swimming nude in their backyard, or peering through bedroom windows? Drones have been seen in restricted airspace and in very close proximity to commercial air traffic? Drones have crashed and injured innocent bystanders that weren't even aware of the drones activity? In certain parts of the world drones have been used to deploy IEDs? I'm referring to commercial grade drones like the DJI products and I can confirm all the above statements are events that have occurred recently. And you're wondering why manufacturers are a bit concerned for their liability. I hate Big Brother keeping an eye on me just like yourself, but I can also understand their side for the concern.

Ask yourself if any of these statements ring true? People have been caught using a drone to spy on there neighbors sunbathing or swimming nude in their backyard, or peering through bedroom windows? Drones have been seen in restricted airspace and in very close proximity to commercial air traffic? Drones have crashed and injured innocent bystanders that weren't even aware of the drones activity? In certain parts of the world drones have been used to deploy IEDs? I'm referring to commercial grade drones like the DJI products and I can confirm all the above statements are events that have occurred recently. And you're wondering why manufacturers are a bit concerned for their liability. I hate Big Brother keeping an eye on me just like yourself, but I can also understand their side for the concern.
That doesn't make everyone a criminal though does it?
I think it's an excuse!

Reactions: sebastian.bilbao
Cars, trucks, planes, and trains have been used for way more chaos and mayhem. Maybe we should restrict them to only go 5mph and you can't leave your little town with them.

I bet my 1st P3S that can only go 200ft was used as a guinea pig for this update experiment and they fried it. Will this update fix my lemonized P3S lol?
Lol... Wondering if mine too is a guinea pig... 70 meters away and already losing connectivity.

That doesn't make everyone a criminal though does it?
I think it's an excuse!
No it doesn't, just think their trying to force us DJI drone owners to follow the law of the land based on our location. Don't agree with it myself, but all I'm saying is I can understand where their coming from.

I think DJI are about to commit commercial suicide.
They are determined to data mine and subscription all users.

Can you envisage a car maker selling you a brand new car then when you have had it six months saying you can now only drive it where we say and with our permission or we will software lock it to your drive.

This company DJI are far too big and cocky for their boots and they will fk it right up as number 1 in the market.
Autel are not far behind and if they can learn from this mistake and trust customers they will pull the rug here.

What DJI will do here is serve up your private data and details to people you would rather not have it.
Authorities will be able to see who flew where with one mouse click from DJI database.

I predicted this step and was lambasted and ridiculed by forum users.

Well look here and look now.

Are you going to spend thousands on new products in the hope DJI will keep allowing you to use it and dictate how you use it ?
Nope, the market has just opened up wide for the competition and I hope they teach DJI a lesson in manners and trust.

Mate, your spot on.. I'm never buying DJI again now

You're missing the point. It's up to the individual to obey speed limits and you know, not load up your truck with c4 and slam it into a building, not the manufacturer.
Forget it, you just want to disagree and troll I guess. What are you not understanding about potential liability when people don't do the right thing. That's the point, their liability when their product hurts someone or causes property damage. It's makes no sense to compare a terrorist attack, to let's say a P4 flying into a jetliner's intake. Tell me they wouldn't be sued if a Phantom takes down a fully loaded jetliner at the airport. Do you think the families of the crew and passages are going to sue some teenager or blue collar worker who flew the thing? They would sue DJI for millions, and would have a very good case. I'm done.

Reactions: Jpk

Most, if not all, 3rd party apps leverages the DJI API (application programmer interface). So they are limited by the features and functions offered by the API. DJI can very easily make the API requiring login at the firmware level and default to "beginner" mode w/o the activation token (login token, etc) send over by the server through login.

Forget it, you just want to disagree and troll I guess. What are you not understanding about potential liability when people don't do the right thing. That's the point, their liability when their product hurts someone or causes property damage. It's makes no sense to compare a terrorist attack, to let's say a P4 flying into a jetliner's intake. Tell me they wouldn't be sued if a Phantom takes down a fully loaded jetliner at the airport. Do you think the families of the crew and passages are going to sue some teenager or blue collar worker who flew the thing? They would sue DJI for millions, and would have a very good case. I'm done.

Right. Just like families sue gun makers every time there's a murder...and lose. Should a rope manufacturer be liable when someone is hanged by that rope? Should a knife manufacturer be liable when someone is stabbed? If you think everyone that disagrees with you is a troll, that's your problem.

Things have gotten really stupid. It is all politics and money. So can a drunken driver sue a whiskey company for what their booze did to him. They have disclaimers to use product responsibly.
So, why can't we file a class action lawsuit against DJI for not living up to the original product performance they sold us. Why don't they stick to the disclaimer to use product responsibly.

Things have gotten really stupid. It is all politics and money. So can a drunken driver sue a whiskey company for what their booze did to him. They have disclaimers to use product responsibly.
So, why can't we file a class action lawsuit against DJI for not living up to the original product performance they sold us. Why don't they stick to the disclaimer to use product responsibly.
Bar owners and bartenders can and are held responsible when a drunk driver causes a fatality if it can be proved they got served at a particular establishment. Not saying it's right or wrong, just stating the truth. And DJI just recently had a class action lawsuit for just that, a bad FW release.
DJI Drone Manufacturer Hit with Class Action Lawsuit Over Firmware Update | Data Privacy + Security Insider
'Phantom' Drone Maker Sued Over Faulty App Software Update - Law360

I think DJI is ultimately trying to promote a culture of accountability, which is exactly what FAA intended to do with its sUAS registration program.
They are also trying as much as possible to limit irresponsible and unlawful behavior, as they are well aware that every little incident is pushing legislators in the direction of more stringent regulations (e.g. Canada). Regulations that would hurt their sales more than the few customers that will not purchase a DJI product because of these built-in restrictions.

Someone in the previous posts mentioned cars and the fact they are not restricted in the way we use them: this is true, but cars must be registered, must be insured, must have license plates, and operators must be licensed. Moreover, car drivers are inside the vehicle, so there's an element of self-preservation that comes into place: you don't run a red light not only because it's illegal, but because you know you can get hurt. With drones, that element is not there, and that's another incentive to do stupid things.

Last edited:
Reactions: macoman

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z